Ever been hustled before?

theLorax

We've been scammed about ten times so far at Self Edge.. every time the person has been from Singapore or Malaysia.

Therefore now, if you have an IP address from either of those two countries you get an error once you click on "shop online".

And one person living in Florida. Motherfucker bought a pair of Imperials with his mother's credit card, then his mom disputed the charges and got every penny back. We have his name, address, and all that.. He won't return our calls or emails..

He's even a SuFu user.... Xportofmiami

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/member.php?u=9275

agreesssssss

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got ripped off by a taxi scam in Buenos Aries earlier this year.

Had just got off a night bus early in the morning, and clearly didn't have my senses about me... on the way to my hostel, the taxi driver started asking if I had the right money on me... kept pointing to the barcode or some shit on the bills in Spanish, which I didn't understand. Anyway he wouldn't accept my money (which was legit, but he was pretending was fake) - during all this he pulled up next to some guy on the street (who was obviously in on the scam) who agrees with the driver. I'm confused and eventually after some arguing I got out, paid him the money I had....

Shortly after another taxi pulls up (also in on it), get a couple blocks from the hostel, same shit happens. I'm thinking what the fuck? He takes me to an ATM to draw more money out, we drive back towards the hostel - he stops a block from it, making some excuse about not being able to get into the exact hostel street (again, bullshit). Says he'll walk me the rest of the way - hand him a large note (like 50 pesos) and we both get out of the taxi. As I go across the other side to get my change, he runs back into the seat and drives off (whole point of the scam was to get me to draw out a large amount of money).

Felt pretty stupid at the time, it was so obvious in retrospect. Ahh well, live and learn.

i ordered a diane von furstenburg dress from NYC off ebay once, and the seller sent me the wrong dress. I contacted them, sent the dress back, and then never got mine!

I didn't even get a full refund, blahhhh! and it was a cute dress too :mad:

You have no idea how many 25 year olds there are on the subways asking for donations because they need money for their schools basketball team. I usually ignore them but once i asked how old one of them was and he goes uhhhh.....sixteen?

yeah. selling m&m's to buy numbers for their school's basketball jerseys. that's like the oldest scam in the nyc book.

motherfucker you are 12 years old. why are you selling candy on a subway at 2pm on a tuesday? i dont give them the time of day.

now the dudes that actually sing/dance do something to entertain me, i'll give them the cash. except those mariachi motherfuckers. i'll actually move to a different car when they come on. i'm not trying to hear some loud ass mariachi music when i get off work.

only ever got scammed out of 50$....

i was in nyc and really needed a new cellphone. i didn't know shit about cellphones and i didn't care i just used the phone my cuz gave me, got best plan for me, and never actually switched phones (it was rarely ever on and i didn't use it except in cases of emergency or when i travelled).

sooo, how i got hustled was in buying a "required new compatable sim card" for 50$, i tried calling the peoples i knew the numbers of off the top of my head (=3 people) on a friends' phone who would maybe knew about this stuff. None of them picked up... So I thought 130$ for a new phone and the sim card isn't too bad, I guess.

Israeli Jew ahole gives me an unitemized receipt*, asks for a different card other than my Amex* and all I had other than that was my check card (no fraud protection, no ever getting my money back, and I even got an overdraft charge I got cancelled after I told the bank what happened when I got home).

Anyway, this is where my story gets funny... after they get my money and I'm almost ready to go, I look at my old cell phone and see that the little white disk-thing/sim card is missing. I begin to ask 'em where the hell my sim card is being more afraid of being stalked than scammed... Dude tries to brush me off, but I keep nagging at him and we end up calling T-Mobile to clarify that the way he explained how sim cards work is how its really done--customer service ends up as confused as me at that point--they tell me there's some kind of fraud going on and they shouldnt've taken my simcard and they're not a legit/authorized dealership--which is what they claimed to be with how they decorated the store.

...after three hours of arguing about where my sim card was and having a cop in there looking for the sim card and telling them to give it back--the dude finally starts saying "She already has it." Then I finally just demanded all of my money back and then they pull a no-refunds bullshit line, and I tell the cop I was told I was paying 50dollars for a new sim card, and the cop asked to see my receipt and since it was unitemized he couldn't do anything immediate, but I wouldn't leave without my money and of course I was already getting loud and irritated at this point--they finally politely shoved me and my friend out of the store--coz they knew we'd be swinging if they even touched us... i kicked the door and the window and told them we was coming back the next day--sooo we came back, called the cops again to scare away potential customers, file a report, or just pressure the dude to give me all of my money back. By the time cop got there and I had started breaking down the situation I had to get in a cab with 25 mins to get from Midtown to Laguardia to catch my flight home and my friend couldn't file the report against the shop 'cuz I was the one with the complaint. bleah... that stupid phone was a reminder of ignorance for two years till it finally broke.

M'eh 50$ isn't much of anything, but I hate that I got scammed and I wish I threw something through that shop's window... at LEAST I fucked up their nite by being annoying and scaring away other potential schmucks coz i was certainly getting loud w/ 'em...

ain't no hustle like an israeli cell phone hustle. those motherfuckers will take your kidney and first born without you seeing their faces.

Never truly been hustled since I rarely carry cash but i've gotten the good ol' parking lot scam talk where the guys pull up to you and say they're making a delivery of stereo equipment for their boss and that the distributor gave them too many so they gotta sell them off to make a quick buck. They always say the speakers or whatever are worth thousands of dollars. I can't tell if they've stolen them or not but i'm not buying stereo equipment out of a soccer mom van.

The exact same thing happened to me and my cousin except we fell for it lol. We even went to the ATM with the guys to get the cash....

The last time I went back to HK with my folks, we took a cab from Kowloon to I-don't-remember-where, but the cabbie heard us talking in English and totally tried taking extra side streets to rack up the fare.

I notice that we're not taking the usual roads and immediately jot down his license and nudge my mom, who was very aware of what was going down. Needless to say, my dad (sitting shotgun) begins to berate the driver. A couple of "dai lo"s and "pok gai"s later and we've gotten a free ride. And this is why you don't assume everyone speaking English is a no-nothing tourist.

a dominoes pizza man came to my door once with my pizza and i gave him a 30. (the total was 22-23 bucks and i only had 3 x 10 bills)

he just walked away. i was too shocked to do anything.

never ordered from dominoes ever again.

fuck i want some pizza though.

You have no idea how many 25 year olds there are on the subways asking for donations because they need money for their schools basketball team. I usually ignore them but once i asked how old one of them was and he goes uhhhh.....sixteen?

Yup, that's some bullshit...

At the Bank of America I always goto, there is this group of 3 BLACK people that are always standing outside asking for donations to goto basketball camp for their HS team. They don't sell you shit, they don't give you anything in return... All they tell you to do is give them the cash and sign your name/phone number onto a piece of paper. If you say you don't have any change, they tell you... We have change for BIG BILLS! They already know my car/how I look so they don't even bother asking me anymore... They probably afraid Ima blow up their god damn scam.

Also, my friend that works @ LAX airport told me the same shit... No offense, but it's always BLACK people trying to scam. He said the same people are always outside of "arriving" for mostly foreign folks. They literally rush/run up to your face and start bugging you asking you if you need help, and they're with the church... This and that, then they fucking straight up ask them... CAN I HAVE $20-$100?!

My friend said one time he heard a foreigner saying she had no USD, so the dude said just goto currency exchange... Made her go, and she came back and gave him a $20.

When I was about 7 like 1995 sort of time when those day-glow addidas galaxy trainers where all the rage. (anyone remember?) Anyway this fucking pikey kid from the ghetto who went to my school nicked them while I was at footy practace, I remember seeing him and his many younger brothers and sisters wearing them all tatty and ripped for about 4 years after. He was so big and hard tho I never dared confront him about it. funny thing is me n my brother caught up with him about 3 years ago Whilst visiting family after we had moved away to a different town and did him in pretty bad with a rounders bat. lol! I wonder if he ever worked dout why he got that beating? ha ha!

I kno its not really being hustled, more stolen from but I think its quite funny.

The last time I went back to HK with my folks, we took a cab from Kowloon to I-don't-remember-where, but the cabbie heard us talking in English and totally tried taking extra side streets to rack up the fare.

I notice that we're not taking the usual roads and immediately jot down his license and nudge my mom, who was very aware of what was going down. Needless to say, my dad (sitting shotgun) begins to berate the driver. A couple of "dai lo"s and "pok gai"s later and we've gotten a free ride. And this is why you don't assume everyone speaking English is a no-nothing tourist.

lol, this bitch tried to charge me sales tax in HK. a couple of "baht pohs" later i got that shit 70% off which was probbly the original price in the 1st place.

When I was about 7 like 1995 sort of time when those day-glow addidas galaxy trainers where all the rage. (anyone remember?) Anyway this fucking pikey kid from the ghetto who went to my school nicked them while I was at footy practace, I remember seeing him and his many younger brothers and sisters wearing them all tatty and ripped for about 4 years after. He was so big and hard tho I never dared confront him about it. funny thing is me n my brother caught up with him about 3 years ago Whilst visiting family when we had moved away and I had filled out some more and did him in pretty bad with a rounders bat. lol! I wonder if he ever worked dout why he got that beating? ha ha!

I kno its not really being hustled, more stolen from but I think its quite funny.

ummmmmmmmmm

i was gonna neg but it is fictional genius or whatever...m1sterko's story sucks, and hongkong is cool

i dunno if i ever been scammed... o shit one time i was chillin in guangzhou and i made impulse purchase of magazine on some street from some vendor, gave the lady my 20, and glanced around while waiting for her to pass me the magazine... then it turned into huge bickerfest cuz she said i didn't give it to her, while my friends were there and saw it... damn, ended up with a security guard mediating the situation and i think when she saw that i was bein mad stubborn she just finally gave it to me, no change though so she kinda won anyways... whatever though

I was hustled by default in Barcelona. I met some Japanese dudes at the hostel and was out walking with one of them on that strip where they have all the clowns and gold-painted dudes and various stands. A group of people were working the game "three cups can you find which one the ball is under after we shuffle the cups around?" Clearly a scam from the get go. They even have actors in the crowd to tell you that you just gotta play the game, 'cause it's so obvious which cup the ball is under. The Japanese dude I was with was typically naive for his nationality and played the game around, lost 50 euros. Then they shuffled them around again in front of him and did in a way that clearly showed the ball was under a certain cup. He, of course, believed it and was being egged on by actors in the crowd and looked at me with the most pleading look I've ever seen, and begged me for 50 euros so he could get his money back, even told me he'd pay me back if he was wrong. I couldn't resist that face and gave him the money. To this day I don't know why I did it. We both walked away 50 euros in the hole and the SOB never paid me back. Why are Japanese people so goddamn gullible when they go abroad? I know another Japanese guy who was told in Harlem that people would put dreads in his hair for like $100 bucks. He went to a "stylist" and they twisted his hair, sprayed some hairspray on it and that was it.

Never truly been hustled since I rarely carry cash but i've gotten the good ol' parking lot scam talk where the guys pull up to you and say they're making a delivery of stereo equipment for their boss and that the distributor gave them too many so they gotta sell them off to make a quick buck. They always say the speakers or whatever are worth thousands of dollars. I can't tell if they've stolen them or not but i'm not buying stereo equipment out of a soccer mom van.

I have a little more info on this scam. Often referred to as the "White Van Speaker Scam". These people actually make a full time living off of this, all in cash. They have sales goals for the day or the week, compete to see who can sell the most or bring in the most money, and earn bonuses or more speakers to sell. It is a very organized scam with networks reaching across the globe.

Here's how it works: They buy these speakers in bulk from Asia at dirt cheap prices. The importer distributes them around the country to each "office". In advance, they'll place a full page ad in popular audio/electronics magazines advertising this generic brand of speakers at some high end speaker price. They place the ad in every month's issue of the magazine, so that if the customer ever suspects anything, they can bring them to any news stand/grocery store, grab the magazine off the rack, and find the ad.

They travel in teams of two generally, each day driving 50-100 miles from the central office in long term rental suv's or trucks to a different city/town. They're stories are always different, but the most commonly used story is the one posted above, about getting their van stocked with an extra set and trying to get rid of it cheap before they have to go back. These guys are skilled salesman, they take on different characters depending on who their target is, changing their accents and aggressiveness to make the target more comfortable.

It's a very elaborate hustle. I'm surprised more people haven't encountered these dudes.

• 3 weeks later...

i go to SBU in Long Island, NY

one time i was trying to take the LIRR home and got on in the wrong direction taking me to Port Jefferson instead of NYC bound...some dude there said his car broke down and he was with his family and he needed to get money together for a taxi, so he asked me for 5 bucks which i gave to him...he continued to lurk around the train station making no apparent effort to collect more money from anyone else so i assume he was just some homeless guy who was gonna use it for booze

The first time I went to a strip club I was pretty good at rejecting lap dances because I am poor, but then one pushy stripper came and sat on my lap. She looked good in the dark, probably not good outside. Anyway, the waitress came by and hustled me into buying the stripper a soda. The shit was $8. I want my $8 back.

I got scammed by way of my uncle. I guess he got scammed and I got hosed. When I was a kid I wanted Shaq's rookie card really bad and so for Christmas my uncle bought me this huge lucite box chock full of cards the hobby shop sold him. Well the motherfuckers put nothing but wack cards inside it, basically the throwaways from all the packs they opened or something.

I never had the heart to tell him :o

Met a girl at the bar, went to "her hotel room" where three huge fuckers were waiting to gaffle. I got punched once, but fought back and got the hell out of there. Didn't really lose anything, but I was pretty black-n-blue for the next week.