highstreet - hand of god

so. tonight i was just making dinner, sipping at some OJ out my back door, when i noticed this little thing on the floor. i thought it was a squashed frog, and i collect such things (i once found 3 sun dried pregnant toads - these were skinny as fuck till i pickled them in distilled white vinegar, they soaked it right up and their bellys popped and a ton of frogsborne squelched out into the jar)..

anyway it turns out this was no frog, but a bat-baby. i was a huge fan of batman as a kid, and you know.. bats are pretty bad ass, so i wanted to do all i could to get it set back up again.

there is a whole bunch in the roof space of my house (victorian train station) as it was neer derelict when we bought it to renovate, so i opened up the hatch and put him there (after cleaning off those little red blood sucking beetles that seemed to infest the poor little fucker).

i thought that was that, till about 2am, when i find him back out on the floor, this time inside, in my bathroom!

the little fuckers sonar'ing about the place!!! some of the sonar i guess is out of my hearing range, but i can hear some as squeeks and some as clicks. its pretty nuts.

i could even talk to him/her a bit in sonar. it wasnt even looking my direction, all quiet.. i hit him with the faux-nar and boom, his little mugs all wiggling and pointing dead on me! - after a while i think he figured it out though.

so.. i just put him outside in a little drop box i made for it, in the hope its parents could find it (also heard them flying about outside).. and.. finally he got back to the mothership!!

14-07-07_1310.jpg

14-07-07_1314.jpg

14-07-07_1321.jpg

14-07-07_1322.jpg

14-07-07_1323.jpg

14-07-07_1324.jpg

15-07-07_0132.jpg

15-07-07_0133.jpg

15-07-07_0136.jpg

let this be a lesson to all of you... this little guy is fucking way cooler than any jap denim or ann d penis sling.

put down your steaks! me and bobo gonna convert you to vegetarianism :D

WOOHOOOOO

yeah i should have cast it, but he/she looked pretty fucked up.. and those little beetle things looked so uncomfortable for it..

also, i dont think i could find its nose-holes, nor two miniture straws i could stick in them to let it breath through the plaster.

if i ever find a dead one, ill cast that.. we got a pretty prominant silverwork/jewellery department at my uni actually! that might be my next port of call

I'm fucking speechless.. This is the most beautiful thread i've seen thus far on this forum..

thanks chaps.

its the irony of human existence.. we spent thousands of years trying to better any other animal on the planet, yet a little baby bat seems far more special of a creature than any man or woman..

Truer words have not been spoken on these boards. Animals are the purest life forms that I can think of. Humans, however, are basically a virus and the earth is the host; we simply deplete resources and multiply, destoying the planet in our wake. Its really not much more complicated than that. I often wonder what the world looked like before we humans began to leave our mark.

Beautiful thread HighStreet.

+rep

• 4 weeks later...

with our brief meet before, it seems the bats have adopted me as their daywalking keeper.

today i finished work, bazzed out a mean curry, looked behind me and another one of our flying friends was on the floor looking up at me oblivious.

this time not a baby, but a fully grown long eared badboy!!

bat2a.jpg

bat2b.jpg

bat2c.jpg

i took him to the window and used the rug he was on to fashion a launch pad, and after a brief chat (thanks for the finger touching advice Syb) he was collected by some other bats and disapeared off into the night...