Watch - Yay/Nay?

lintmunro

Ok. I'm new here, though I've been lurking for a while now. Anyways I have somewhat of a dilemma.

I went out to dinner with my dad last night, since I turned 19 last thursday. He got me a watch, and I guess it's pretty nice. Here's the thing...I'm not really a watch guy. I have scrawny wrists, hairy arms and I just dont know if it'll go with my style. This is where you come in.

Here's the watch (bottom right)

rover.jpg

Here's a shot of me wearing it

lameass2.jpg

Usually I wear slim jeans and bright shirts and all that fun stuff. The watch just seems a little heavy duty, plus, if I do keep it I'll have to get a link removed (scrawny wrists, as mentioned). If I decide not to keep it, he said he has two weeks to return it, so yeah, I'm just looking for second opinions. I might say to return it and I'll use the money to buy something else, but in that case, I don't know where to start; As stated, I'm not really a watch person. I'm thinking maybe a calculator watch, or something of the sort. Anyways I've rambled on.

O I'm thinking maybe a calculator watch, or something of the sort. Anyways I've rambled on.

Unless you manage to get a vintage 70's to 80'2 model there is no "style" whatsoever in a calculator watch. they don;t acutally work and the make you look like a dork. perosonally i'm not a fan of that kind of watch although i know others are. I think stowa do really nice and well priced watches, check them out see if they look like your thing: http://www.german-watches.com/cgi-bin/lshop.cgi

your watch seems a bit..... inelegant

i like these models better (all from nixon, which would make exchanging easier)--

the first one is colorful, since you said you liked bright colors.

the second is reminiscent of a calculator watch if you're into that look, but without being a total dork, as alterion noted.

the third one exudes a Sinn-esque pilot watch vibe

the first two are in the same price range as the one you have (~$120). the last one is more expensive ($400 range) but it's a lot cooler looking. but if you were going to throw down 4 bills i'd just go up to a G and get a nice mechanical, although your dad might balk at that kind of price tag

nixonwatches.jpg

Unless you manage to get a vintage 70's to 80'2 model there is no "style" whatsoever in a calculator watch. they don;t acutally work and the make you look like a dork. perosonally i'm not a fan of that kind of watch although i know others are.

I doubt they've been made after that, so I assume he meant one of those 80's ones. a gold casio calculator will run you about $50 on ebay. I have a regular gold one I got for 20-something, works well and is pretty cool. was also thinking about getting the calculator one. I think these are retro and, well, tacky enough to not look dorky.

what goes for the one you have, I agree with data, its very inelegant and basic. probably a decent watch but also quite boring. search for some watch topics here and you might find good ideas. if you return it, what would your budget be, the same or more?

skagen has nice watches, super thin.

https://skagen.c4.ixwebhosting.com/store.asp?area=SuperCat&supercatID=4&levelname=M+e+n+%27+s+%2E+W+a+t+c+h+e+s&iefix=4133243

233LGSC_M.JPG

i own a swatch skin watch. I love the "thinness"

Not so bulky for a guy like yourself rep

I doubt they've been made after that, so I assume he meant one of those 80's ones. a gold casio calculator will run you about $50 on ebay.

lol only on a fashion forum :P go into any casio watch seller and you'll be able to buy one for about $30 still today.

Also agreed at a cheaper price point the swatch skin wactched are really nice fashion pieces although finding a desgn you like can be tricky. Having said that being biased towards stowa somewhat as i'm just about to buy one myself i still think you can get a fantastic watch for your money. For $361 these are a complete steal imho for a proper s automatic watch:

1141748011-4242.jpglshop.cgi?action=showdetail&wkid=7885&ls=e&nc=1183752965-7972&rubnum=antea&artnum=anteacremedatum&file=&gesamt_zeilen=Tshowrub--antea

the first two are in the same price range as the one you have (~$120). the last one is more expensive ($400 range) but it's a lot cooler looking. but if you were going to throw down 4 bills i'd just go up to a G and get a nice mechanical, although your dad might balk at that kind of price tag

nixonwatches.jpg

Hm, yeah I like the top two but the second is way out of the price range. It was $200 canadian, so I guess i'll just go out and take a look around with my pops. Thanks for the help everyone. I'll do a search and check out some watch topics, too.

I had the previous version of that citizen, silver and chunkier, spacier looking. Lasted me 7 years but packed up in the spring. The thermometer was completely useless though, always kind of between your wrist temp and the air temp.

That stowa for $361 is a steal

your watch seems a bit..... inelegant

i like these models better (all from nixon, which would make exchanging easier)--

the first one is colorful, since you said you liked bright colors.

the second is reminiscent of a calculator watch if you're into that look, but without being a total dork, as alterion noted.

the third one exudes a Sinn-esque pilot watch vibe

nixonwatches.jpg

Do not buy the Dork or the Metal Dork (second watch). I have one sitting in my room that a bought a few years ago. That thing eats through batteries like mad. I remember having to change the batteries like once a month. That, and it just shouts out random shit sometimes when the hour changes (I never read the manual - maybe there's a way to disable this).

Mine is not the anniv. edition, if you get the standard date pilot, it comes with the onion crown, which I love. Mine also has blued hands and screws, which I thought cost extra.

I think it might have been your post there where I saw this first. So thanks for the unknown heads up. I think they are amazing watches for the money.

The riveted strap on mine is nice and pretty much exactly how they used to be. I would recommend it.

frankly, i think there's some sentimental value in a watch your dad gives you as a gift...

Definitely, but it's the gesture I appreciate. The thing is I don't want to have a $200 watch that I'm not going to wear, because that would probably make me feel worse about the whole thing.

Anyways, I talked to him and we're going to return it and see what we can find, so this can either be closed or you can just let it die. Thanks again.

I've Been lusting over this prada watch from a few seasons backsince they came out.. they look so sexy. And it comes in so many color combinations, I just want to get 4 of the same kind in different colors.

Neiman Marcus got em on sale for 200 something bucks from the original 1000+ unfortunately it's "not available" on their website.

E0400620072157_v1_m56577569831182433.jpg

NMJ5386_mn.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jmatsu
a nice timepiece is very important

here are the current thee in my collection:

Rolex_Submariner.jpg

cartier-santos-swiss-02.jpg

gall_zenith406.jpg

could i get some pics of you wearing them to see if they compliment you and your wardrobe?

Here is a pic I posted today in the wywt thread today with the Cartier Santos

jimmycdh5.jpg

I'll post a pic tomrow with the Rolex Submariner.

The Zenith is at my jeweler in NYC getting fixed from my last

motrercycle accident.