Boredoms / 77 Drummers

Servo2000

I went to the opening of some little hand-made store in Rhode Island the other day, and Brian from Lightning Bolt was there and he mentioned being out of town this weekend for some Boredoms / 77 Drummers project thing. I looked it up, and it appears to RSVP only or some shit?

Anyone know what the deal with this is? I'm going to try and catch a train up saturday morning. I'll fucking jump a fence for this thing, but I'd prefer to just know what I'm getting myself into ahead of time.

Also, if anyone's in New York who'd like to hang out this weekend / meet up for the concert let me know. I'll be there Saturday / Sunday morning.

It's a free show, you just have to RSVP here.

And here is the full press release.

You're extremely lucky to be able to see this. I really wish I lived close enough to make it.

I did RSVP, but I read somewhere that it's some sort of contest to get in? I never got a validation e-mail and after I hit to send my information it just goes to a blank page.

Ah, well. Either way, I plan on hopefully getting up to NY. Finally get a chance to be intimidated by Atelier's employees, hopefully.

That show is going to be history in the making. If I was anywhere in the NYC vacinity I would definitely be there. Hisham from black dice/soft circle is doing a lot of the musical direction for the show. Some of the other drummers are coming from sunburned hand of the man and various NYC avant garde projects. Definitely worth the price of admission.

They did this last year as well - it was slated to start on 7/7 but was cancelled, and it will be on the same day this year. Anyone should be able to see it if you RSVP, but not necessarily participate. At this point I'm sure they've filled all their drumsets. There are going to be other performances, such as Soft Cell, and a DJ set by Gang Gang Dance.

Here's the info:

http://www.viceland.com/77boadrum/

Arrived in my inbox overnight.

Thank you for RSVPing to tomorrow's BOREDOMS 77BOADRUM performance.Your name has been added to the RSVP list for the event. HOWEVER, the RSVP response has been overwhelming - which means that we CANNOT guarantee admission, except on a first come-first served basis. We cannot overstate this: Not everyone will be allowed in.The line will begin at the corner of New Dock and Water Street at 2:30pm. Please do NOT arrive before 2:30pm as the police stationed there will ask you to move along. Doors will open at 4pm. After we hit capacity, we can only admit you on a one-in, one-out basis. PLEASE BE PREPARED TO WAIT, OR TO BE TURNED AWAY.

They probably sent this to everyone who applied, but if not pm me if you wanted to go, and you can have my list details cuz like I said I'm never going to make it.

the crowd was insane- the park reached full capacity at 6pm, and i'm pretty sure

everyone after that was turned away, or chose to stay there and hope someone

left early.

soft circle played a short set, and brian from gang gang dance DJed for another short while. closer to when the park was announced to have reached full capacity, everyone started filing in and taking their place at their drumkits- it was trippy to recognize so many well-known musicians in one space. seeing eye on the raised platform being well... being eye, was also really great.

all in all, it is hard to encapsulate the sound of 77 drummers, but it was pretty much

veering everywhere from tightly coordinated tribal jams to full-on noise and everything in-between. it wasn't exclusively drumming, because eye had an electronic set-up with him, and i'm almost positive he was manipulating sounds at certain points, but then again, i have no frame of reference for what sounds 'natural' from a group of that many percussionists.

and yeah, i timed it on a stopwatch, and it was exactly 77 minutes long, nonstop.

i saw some filming going on, and really hope there is a DVD release, or at least a CD.

cameras were strictly prohibited at the event.

yeah, the line was ridiculous - i got there a little before 5 and it was like 8+ blocks back. the regular dumbo people kept asking what the hell was going on. i kept hearing different numbers for the number of rsvps throughout the evening - 10k, 12k and 18k (for a capacity of 4k). anyway, got in with a friend who showed up at 2:40 and it was surprisingly pleasant inside - nobody inside had to be anymore than 30 ft behind the outer ring of drummers. they had japanese food (edamame, yakitori, etc) and sapporo for reasonable prices and were giving out ice cream at the vip area. i will forgive them that they ran out of rice and then used long grain to supplant it later.

anyway, the drums started at 7:07 on the dot. to be honest, most of the drummer outside the first 8 were just there for volume as those were the only kits that were mic'ed. eye mostly conducted and triggered various synth samples of a sort that wouldn't be unfamiliar to listeners of the past few years of recordings. there were a couple crescendo parts driven by those synth lines but for the most part it was repetitive figures with a mostly hypnotic but occasionally grooving effect (there was a mini jam pit led by a chick in stilts in the back)

most of the drummers seemed to be together (they had only rehearsed en masse a couple times, the rest in sections coordinated by section leaders) with some glaring exceptions (hello alan licht). the whole thing came to apotheosis around 8 pm but the denouement lasted until just before sunset (8:50 by my cell phone, perhaps meant to be 154 minutes? there was an official watch on the soundboard!). on the balance it's sort of difficult to describe but was much better than i thought it would be (or indeed had to be), especially consider their poor run of form since yamamoto stopped being a regular member and eye's ego ballooned out of control. i think their last proper album sold about 5000 in the us so i have no idea where all of the people came out, but most of those who did enjoyed themselves.

btw, managed to pick these up - now i don't have to worry about unDSing the shirt that came with the vision creation newsun box!

90662.jpg

those were most of the exciting parts... that chick on the stilts was crazy. all those people with animal heads scurrying about were recording this for posterity, they also had a crane going on so no doubt there will be a dvd.

btw the t-shirts were for sale. unless you were a volunteer in which case you got a yellow one with the same design