Weird vintage big E jeans with felled OUTseams and blag tag w/ orange LEVI'S. Data??

Does anyone know about these jeans I found? The denim has the weight and appearance of big E 501s, but they have orange-tab-like pockets, no rivets anywhere, a Gripper Zipper, two-tone stitching, felled outseams as well as inseams, and a big E tag written in orange on black. I admit I've never seen these before, and bought them off eBay out of curiosity; They look to be from the '60s, but all I can say about them...

weirdbige0015buttoncd3.jpg

a>

weirdbige003norivetcoinev0.jpg

weirdbige006backpocketspb8.jpg

weirdbige008orangeonblaeu7.jpg

weirdbige009yellowstichxj9.jpg

weirdbige010coinpocketgh1.jpgweirdbige015waistbandstxc7.jpg

weirdbige011norivetsonpbw4.jpg

weirdbige002gripperzipper6.jpg

Awesome find!! ... This is definitely a question for Airfrogusmc (a poster on SF)

I've never seen vintage Levis with felled outseams...and with chainstitching on the top part of the waistband.....I've got a pair of Levis from Japan that have both tho..but they are by no means vintage jeans.

p.s. post some full-on pics...it looks like their is some nice fading going on

The chainstitching on the top waistband is what makes me think they're from no earlier than the '60s. And I know they were experimenting a lot with styles and fabrics at the time, which makes sense. the pictures don't do them justice; the color is way more beautiful in vivo.

These must be 606 Super Slim´s (if the are slim tapered,are they?)wich were introduced in 1966 I guess, in this time people demand skinnier jeans like the 505, the 501 became slimmer aswell in the 1960s.

some pics from my deadstocks:

606fmp1.jpg

I've been looking around for the 606. Levi's US has them but they're predistressed and well over $200 usd. Are these still available in europe?

Hey Roflcopterpwnsyou, unfortunately Levis never brought em back as dry version, there was a rinsed verison from LVC two years ago and cost about 180Euro, I really would like get em them in my size because these shown on pics are orignal 1960s deadstocks, but in W27L28, these will never never fit me :/ cheers

Hey Roflcopterpwnsyou, unfortunately Levis never brought em back as dry version, there was a rinsed verison from LVC two years ago and cost about 180Euro, I really would like get em them in my size because these shown on pics are orignal 1960s deadstocks, but in W27L28, these will never never fit me :/ cheers

Thanks dude! That is too bad, although I might be able to squeeze into those. Too bad I'm broke! + rep for you.

We still dont know what jeans they are ... maybe they were a prototype for the first orange tabs...and instead of going with orange letters on a black background (for the tab) they decided on black letters with an orange background???....just a thought...i have no fact to back that up

....but i'd really love to see the zipper on those orange tabs...

p.s we need full jean pics! :)

The 606s seem to have the general shape of mine, but the fabric looks like the typical orange tab fabric, i.e. lighter blue, that fades to be a very light blue, unlike the older cone mills denim. If you look at my pics, you should be able to see that the denim is more like a blackish blue, like the non-repro '50s big E's. The previous owner must have washed them quite a bit, and they're still really dark in places.

Also, The thread is lemon yellow on the top of my back pockets, as well as on the change pocket, although it doesn't appear clearly on the pics. The weird-ass tab should be a good indicator, but I've looked around my denim books, and haven't found one similar...

• 2 weeks later...

I guess that doesn´t say anything about the model it only tells us when the jeans were made, before 1970 or later... I believe talon 42s had been used in the 70s and gripper zippers aswell as scovills in the 1960s... otherwise two same models, produced in the same year, could have two different zippers only because they are made in two different factories, but this is not for sure, I´m only guessing! What would Paul T. tell us???

Well my 606s are unswashed and raw, dry denim always looks a bit brighter, but my pics aswell are a bit brighter than the denim is actually... I´ve got aswell a 606 LVC repro with scovill zipper and lemon stitching on back pockets and all bartacks from the pockets to the belt loops...