NY Times Article On Japanese Denim

ordo

it was a good rea dover coffee/cereal this morning, but it kinda lacked on the idea behind raw or selvage denim.. and its not as if it ever went away, its just become much more trendy now and days, they point that out that its been in fashion since the 80's in there.

good read regardless

enjoyed the read, thanks for the link

liked these quotes..

Yet it is still common enough to spend a Goldilocks afternoon sampling the wares at Barneys New York, moving from low-rise to boot-cut to relaxed-fit to straight-leg jeans, only to come away in frustration without finding anything that suits. This is at least partly because the $13 billion denim industry was hijacked by fashion somewhere along the line, and the simple unadorned beauty of old-fashioned bluejeans was lost.
Aware that the Japanese version of the homegrown product is far finer than anything similar now being made in America, one hardly minded spending $250 for a version of something that could have been bought for $20, an eon or so ago.
“The idea is that you’re wearing something of the utmost quality and construction” and yet which somehow looks generic and, in the best way, invisible.

14tokyo190.jpg

I love how these cats look! Especially the guy w/ the sport shirt. I wouldn't show so much of the boots.

the (pimp) hat is SOOO key though.

i enjoy their non-tight jeans...

When the article started talking about Hinoya, it made me reflect on the idea of how we use the internet as a method of travel and tourism.

Even though I've never been to Hinoya in person, I have a really good idea of what they stock there, what their shop set-up is like (thanks to pictures from their site and from bloggers, posters, etc.), and what their overall vibe is like (Hinoya, for example, is more about repros than say Klax-On, but at the same time is more modern than maybe 2nd).

If it weren't for the internet, not only would I not have heard about Japanese Denim, but I would not have the benefit of "shopping" in Japan.