The Anti BIG / SE

thinkfilm28

Granted, BIG and SE have the Cool Stuff -- (without the accurates I must add) All their denim now look alike. Quite frankly, I think both BIG and SE are starting to become too bloody mainstream. I can't even begin to imagine Sammies without the accurates. The Sammies, Sugarcanes, et al that they carry now are no different to Denime -- I've always thought the differences in accurates of these brands made them unique. Till Levis came along with thier bloody lawsuit. Am I the only one who feels this way? I've heard the Japanese stores who used to ship out here to the US can't anymore because BIG is putting the squeeze. I suppose BIG is starting to flex their muscles like Levis. Who knows BIG/SE might end carrying the same type of Levis one would find at your local Macy's.:mad:

i have no problem with BIG or SE..they have a fabolous selection and are always bringing in new shipments.. to each their own i guess..

i do most of my shopping online though and find that the selection is more diverse and the sizes are more then often avaliable.

Your post doesn't really make much sense? I don't think BiG is putting the squeeze on anyone? Japanese stores used to probably ship to the US brands like SAMURAI because there was no US distributor for the brand, but now there is a US distributor for the brand.

I don't think the stores are really becoming mainstream, maybe on sufu, but what percentage of the population is that?

If you really want the arcurates and tabs, get a proxy in Japan to get them for you? All BiG and Self Edge have done is made something, that people wanted, easier to get, and provided some of the best service in doing so. If you have ever contacted either of them you would know this.

What the hell are you talking about?

My only gripe with BIG is that they don't carry many traditional repros. Other than that BIG is dope!

I agree. Repro is like a curse word there. They basically only have Warehouse.

The point of Japanese repro, in my opinion is two fold (1) the idea of having an item that is unique to that location (Japan) -- having something special that one actually goes through the tideous process of aquiring (the fun of the hunt) and (2) Getting an item not available in the States. Why should it be available here? And if it is, why bastardize it? And by mainstream, I mean, it has become more readily available here. It takes the fun of actually having to work for it. Don't you guys like the fact of owning something rare, hard to get and unique? Isn't that why most folks on the board don't go for all those other mass produced denim? Hey my 2 cents.

On the bright side any denim you may have acquired pre-lawsuit is now even more rare. So lets say you have some sweet 47 canes with arcurate (my personal favorite) or Iron Hearts with arcs and tab (another fave) now your a pretty big deal and actually have some way to prove that "i liked that way before they became cool/mainstream". :D:D:D

The point of Japanese repro, in my opinion is two fold (1) the idea of having an item that is unique to that location (Japan) -- having something special that one actually goes through the tideous process of aquiring (the fun of the hunt) and (2) Getting an item not available in the States. Why should it be available here? And if it is, why bastardize it? And by mainstream, I mean, it has become more readily available here. It takes the fun of actually having to work for it. Don't you guys like the fact of owning something rare, hard to get and unique? Isn't that why most folks on the board don't go for all those other mass produced denim? Hey my 2 cents.

personally i've never been in the same room with someone else who has a pair of samurai's or even knows what they are. If the point is buying something from japan, then buy a brand no one buys. there are tons of them. or just teleport yourself back to superfuture circa 2004 when this shit was impossible to find. to say anything negative about these stores is just immature and stupid imo. it's nice not to gamble all the time when i buy jeans.

personally i've never been in the same room with someone else who has a pair of samurai's or even knows what they are. If the point is buying something from japan, then buy a brand no one buys. there are tons of them. or just teleport yourself back to superfuture circa 2004 when this shit was impossible to find. to say anything negative about these stores is just immature and stupid imo. it's nice not to gamble all the time when i buy jeans.

I don't have it in me to reply with the same tact as poly. I just don't. All I can say is go die you miserable idiotic fuck.

personally i buy japanese repros for the cuts and quality, these things are far from mainstream and im sure you wont see every second person walking down the street with them on, as for arcuates go through rakuten if you absolutlely need them, there just gonna be nearly worn off in a few months and you say they make them unique when in reality these are all repros and copys of levis anyways

Have you ever actually dealt with Gordon or Kiya? Both of them provide out of this world customer service that I have NEVER seen at any other store. You can call up and talk to Gordon for an hour about jeans and not even be a customer, he is just that down to earth. You bashing these stores for providing an outstanding service to a very select market (us) just shows that you don't appreciate what they do. Sure the lawsuit sucks, but the product is still outstanding. The loss of some stitching doesn't make the quality of materials or construction any less fantastic.

Lets not forget that Gordon and Kiya also provide the Japanese companies with feedback about what we want and get things like exclusive collaborations, continuation of repro cuts, and the new contest jeans.

/rant

TRASH ....I'm trashing it...

It's really great that some stores decided to carry japanese brands..

It's fucked up that Levi's controls the market - and that these stores are not able to carry the original Jeans with arcs and tabs...

The rally great thing is that you can try on stuff - compare the feel of denims - without bying trhough some proxy and not knowing wheter the fit wil be allright ..

Basically that's why every thread tends to get stuck in the how much will they shrink - how does the waist run etc. discussion...

So - BIG and Selfedge are a good thing to have....

Maybe we end this thread now....

This makes no sense. How could you possibly fault two great stores for bringing the denim we all love to the States and being the ONLY stores to do it? Would you rather nobody carried it? It obviously wasn't their choice to remove the arcuates, dude. And what about the companies who make the stuff? Isn't it ultimately better for them to have access to larger markets? I'm thriled at the prospect of these companies making more money.

And you REALLY need to get out more if you think Japanese denim is mainstream...

What the hell are you talking about?

you don't really make sense

Can we please start spelling arcuates correctly? Goddamnit.

I don't have it in me to reply with the same tact as poly.

wow. you are a fucking idiot.

It's really great that some stores decided to carry japanese brands.. BIG and Selfedge are a good thing to have....

This makes no sense. How could you possibly fault two great stores for bringing the denim we all love to the States and being the ONLY stores to do it? Would you rather nobody carried it? It obviously wasn't their choice to remove the arcuates, dude. And what about the companies who make the stuff? Isn't it ultimately better for them to have access to larger markets? I'm thriled at the prospect of these companies making more money.

i don't need to add anything else.

Granted, BIG and SE have the Cool Stuff -- (without the accurates I must add) All their denim now look alike. Quite frankly, I think both BIG and SE are starting to become too bloody mainstream. I can't even begin to imagine Sammies without the accurates. The Sammies, Sugarcanes, et al that they carry now are no different to Denime -- I've always thought the differences in accurates of these brands made them unique. Till Levis came along with thier bloody lawsuit.

What's BiG or SE got to do with it?

...Wow, two shops that service the whole of the US, really fucking mainstream...Be thankful you've got at least two people who decided to get up and do something positive for the few people who are into the same stuff they are and just didn't sit back and write whining garbage on a forum...

Yea, there is a great feeling when you have to hunt down unique items but these items will still remain unique even with two stores open COVERING THE WHOLE OF THE FUCKING STATES(It's really a big place, don't you know!)!!

If you want to go back to the way things were you can come live here, I've a spare doghouse out the back I'd be glad to chain you to it, I've always wanted to own something rare, hard to get & unique like a hated Sufu poster...