Jeans with flaps on back pockets

somatoform

I'm considering buying the Atelier La Durance Fronteir pant 14oz. Everything about the jean combined with its notoriously generous size and some of the good pictures taken on SuFu have me willing to drop the 250 or up price on them.

There's just one problem: they've got those button down flaps on the two back pockets and I dont really like jeans with flaps on rear pockets.

Question: can they be professionally removed? If so, will it compromise the structure or look?

Or, is it simply a stupid idea to play around with a jean that way?

By the way, I'm aware that the Prescot has no flap pockets, but I don't think it will fit me like the Fronteir.

I'm considering buying the Atelier La Durance Fronteir pant 14oz. Everything about the jean combined with its notoriously generous size and some of the good pictures taken on SuFu have me willing to drop the 250 or up price on them.

There's just one problem: they've got those button down flaps on the two back pockets and I dont really like jeans with flaps on rear pockets.

Question: can they be professionally removed? If so, will it compromise the structure or look?

By the way, I'm aware that the Prescot has no flap pockets, but I don't think it will fit me like the Fronteir.

I think it is stupid idea to cop expensive jeans and alter them. Why spend all that money on something you want to change?

I think it is stupid idea to cop expensive jeans and alter them. Why spend all that money on something you want to change?

You can't see the forest for the trees. He loves everything else in the ALD's 'package,' but he hates a very minor detail. By that logic, nobody should have their jean's length hemmed or the fit tailored to their ideal sizes. I would assume that people would rather pay to alter their expensive jeans to perfection than their cheap, crappy pairs...

I agree that the back pockets seems a bit tacky (but functional).

I say take them off then put them back on.

1. You get to hold true to your mantra of "I have all my clothes altered because nothing ever suits me.

2. You will get to maintain the look of the Atelier La Durance Fronteir pant.

3. You get to waste time.

or.... you could just buy different jeans.

I disagree with your logic Justinbaily. Changing the pockets drastically alters the look of the jeans and changes what the designer originally intended for the look of the pant. While hemming is a fit issue not the same.

I'm sure if you search around you could find another pair of jeans that has basically the same fit, just without the back pocket flaps. not a big fan of back pocket flaps myself either.

Dogfarm

You've made an excellent point about respecting the original intentions of the designer and their vision for the product. I also agree that removing the flap would change the aesthetic of a pair of Frontiers. That is certainly a flaw in my logic. However, once he buys the jeans, I think that he has the right to change anything that he wants to meet his ideal look. Whether you, I or the original designer would agree is neither here nor there.

You're also right about the tailoring and length also being fit issues. I just normally think of them as aesthetic ones.

I'd suck it up and leave them if you really like the fit or get your hustle on and find a similarly cut pair offered by someone else (I never buy jeans unless I love them).

While hemming is a fit issue not the same.
Dogfarm

You're also right about the tailoring and length also being fit issues. I just normally think of them as aesthetic ones.

Yea, I always see hemming to be more about aesthetics, not function. Afterall, you could always roll them up. Conversely, what is the function behind back pocket flaps? Presumably to hold things in. Personally, though, things never fall out from my back pockets anyways.

flaps on back pockets are becoming hot. i say go for it.

Can't quite get into them. 3 reasons:

1. I'm a bit of a minimalist; don't like clutter

2. They never seem to stay down. After wear they're always creasing up.

3. Guilt by association: they remind me too much of that True Religion Joey (or whatever) jean.

Well, I'm still undecided. But if I do buy them I'll definitely not take the pockets off.

Thanks

Can't quite get into them. 3 reasons:

1. I'm a bit of a minimalist; don't like clutter

2. They never seem to stay down. After wear they're always creasing up.

3. Guilt by association: they remind me too much of that True Religion Joey (or whatever) jean.

Well, I'm still undecided. But if I do buy them I'll definitely not take the pockets off.

Thanks

for those reasons, i wouldn't buy them.

The (lack of) pocket flaps were the reason why I didn't by a pair of ALD prescotts when I had the chance. I don't like the cut of the frontier pant and thought about getting a pair of prescotts and just sticking pocket flaps on, but that seemed like too much work. I wonder if the selvage prescott (that was supposed to come out about now, but never has) has those pocket flaps.

Question: can they be professionally removed? If so, will it compromise the structure?

Of course they can be removed. Almost any alteration imaginable can be done by the right guy.

The "structure" as we're calling it, will be fine. It's not like the jeans will fall apart if you fuck around with some pocket flaps.

...Or the look?

How can it compromise the look? You don't like the flaps. It's pretty easy to imagine how they'll look without flaps. What do you think? It's all you, buddy.

We're talking about jeans here, not a piece of history. And pocket flaps at that. Play around, fuck 'em up. As is often said around here, they're just jeans. Do with them what you wish.

Miles,

When I talk about compromising look or structure, I'm mainly refering to all the mini holes that will be left in place of the removed pocket stitchings. Is it unreasonable to assume that the jean might be more susceptible to tear in those places or visible perforations? I don't know, hence the questions.

I don't claim jeans jeans to any more part of history than anything else. But I don't see how asking questions about altering a 260 dollar item makes one revere the history of jeans. I think there are alot of other people who do that. After all, if there weren't, this forum wouldn't exist.

I've seen a royal with the pocket flap removed, and the only real difference that I saw was that you then have exposed rivets at the top of the pocket. It made the pockets very slightly different heights, but if you do it to both pockets on a frontier, they should stay the same. As to the flaps folding up, I've had a pair of Royal Selvage for over 4 months, and it's stayed down... Perhaps we sit in very different ways.

indigo_junkie: there's the new prescott "sterling" model that has a flap on the left-rear pocket if that'd be more to your liking.

indigo_junkie: there's the new prescott "sterling" model that has a flap on the left-rear pocket if that'd be more to your liking.

I read somewhere that it only has the one pocket. That's the kind of thing that turned me off the SC Edo ones that only had one pocket. Plus the denim is supposed to be 12.5oz instead of ALD's normal 14oz. I really liked the standard prescott and was very close in buying a pair roughly the same time I bought my first pair of Nudies. But I've got too many pairs of Japanese denim to break in now...