These emo girls at my school...

euphor

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can you not know who Fugazi and Rites of Spring are?

AFAIK the original "emo" bands were Fugazi, Pixies, Rites of Spring, Weezer and I belive Les Savy Fav was considered emo as well.

It's been more than a few years though.

Interesting to me to hear that Dashboard and Death Cab are what's considered emo these days.

And I agree with OMC - emo girls are sloppy bitches who shop at urban outfitters. Fashioncore girls are the rail thin sluts with tattoos, and vastly preferred to the former. At least that's who I remember things from when I was into the scene a couple years back.

pixies aren't emo

i refuse to accept that

Not sure how old you are but I was in about 6th grade and pixies were pretty huge amongst anyone interested in music, and "emo" was the new buzz word.

For the record, I think Fugazi is less emo (by current usage standards) than Pixies, but I'm pretty sure they were both lumped in, before the word "indie rock" started getting used. :)

Woot I just got the "welcome to the dark side" comment. I finally got circumcised.

Woot I just got the "welcome to the dark side" comment. I finally got circumcised.

welcome to the real world my friend. time to start living

im jewish, so it comes as no surprise im well endowed. circumsicion makes it all the more pleasureable.

Not sure how old you are but I was in about 6th grade and pixies were pretty huge amongst anyone interested in music, and "emo" was the new buzz word.

For the record, I think Fugazi is less emo (by current usage standards) than Pixies, but I'm pretty sure they were both lumped in, before the word "indie rock" started getting used. :)

...The Pixies? Emo? wtf? Just because the Pixies formed around the same time as the first emo bands doesn't mean they're at all similar. And even with current usage of the word emo, how were the pixies emo in any way?

Guest jmatsu
Always eye fuck me in the halls ... and try to talk to me cause I wear skinny jeans and occaisionally vans slip ons

My school is pretty style-retarded and the only people who wear skinny jeans are a few people I hang out with and these dirty emo girls in grade 10/11.

Anyone have similar experiences?

your's is a pretty typical sentiment which i doubt needs reiteration in the form of a thread. i think it would humour most members of the forum if you would post a pic of yourself and that of the "style-retarded" or "emo highschool" girls that you seem to distain.

i'm sure that getting eye balled by their likes may seem unpleasant for you, but are you sure that this isn't just a rant with implications of "my shit doesn't stink as much as the emo girls' in the hall looking at me?"

honestly i don't see a big problem. like a couple of people mentioned, just use their sense of comradery to you advantage and get some pussy. i really don't even understand the whole "emo" look anymore anyway. what makes a person emo in the year 2007? i mean c'mon, you're in highschool, you wear skinny fitted denim and slip- ons. you sound like you're a self-loather who's desperately trying to seperate himself from his own bretheren. get an emo sweetheart, go to your emo prom, fuck the shit out of her emo style, make an emo-baby, get married whilst blasting a mtv2 soundtrack, and be fucking happy(or emo) already...

"emo" per say, only typifies a certain style of music... not what the music is.

all music is emotional. its gotta come from some emotional place, so you can call Hall & Oates to Voivoid to Pixies to Acid Mothers Temple "emo"

its only become a certain genre recently because of the emergence of the scene culture and the glorification of the term "emo"

you can be emotional without being "emo"

if anything, "emo" refers to the structure of the music that it classifies - the whole we're-punk-but-we-don't-want-to-alienate-our-audience-so-we-write-catchy-melodies-and-have-teeenage-or-"pubsecent"-voices-because-it-relates-more-to-our-audience-and-we-love-pop-music-so-we-write-from-the-prospective-of-mass-appeal-involving-commercial-chord-structures-and-choruses-that-draw-the-listener-in.

personally, i think "emo" music these days, or whatever qualifies to play on Steven's Untitled Rock Show, is pretty much shit. Brand New got it right with Deja Entendu but no one since have written a decent record that would fall into said category.

"emo" per say, only typifies a certain style of music... not what the music is.

all music is emotional. its gotta come from some emotional place, so you can call Hall & Oates to Voivoid to Pixies to Acid Mothers Temple "emo"

its only become a certain genre recently because of the emergence of the scene culture and the glorification of the term "emo"

you can be emotional without being "emo"

if anything, "emo" refers to the structure of the music that it classifies - the whole we're-punk-but-we-don't-want-to-alienate-our-audience-so-we-write-catchy-melodies-and-have-teeenage-or-"pubsecent"-voices-because-it-relates-more-to-our-audience-and-we-love-pop-music-so-we-write-from-the-prospective-of-mass-appeal-involving-commercial-chord-structures-and-choruses-that-draw-the-listener-in.

personally, i think "emo" music these days, or whatever qualifies to play on Steven's Untitled Rock Show, is pretty much shit. Brand New got it right with Deja Entendu but no one since have written a decent record that would fall into said category.

no, there definitely is a genre of music called emo that at least has some guidelines that came from late 80s and early 90s post-hardcore

edit: and i for one am not ashamed to fuck the occasional 17 year old. i'm 19, i live in michigan... it's legal and fun.

no, there definitely is a genre of music called emo that at least has some guidelines that came from late 80s and early 90s post-hardcore

edit: and i for one am not ashamed to fuck the occasional 17 year old. i'm 19, i live in michigan... it's legal and fun.

obviously there is a genre known as "emo" i never said there wasn't, i said there is no reason why people can't call other music "emo."

i know the whole deal with fugazi and the older bands that influenced what we now call emo, and from my point of view, its sooo far removed from what it "was" and what is it "is" now that its not even in the same ballpark. as far as i'm concerned "emo" ended when braid and mineral broke up, and everything after is not even close.

anyone remember emogame???!?! funny shit.

obviously there is a genre known as "emo" i never said there wasn't, i said there is no reason why people can't call other music "emo."

i know the whole deal with fugazi and the older bands that influenced what we now call emo, and from my point of view, its sooo far removed from what it "was" and what is it "is" now that its not even in the same ballpark. as far as i'm concerned "emo" ended when braid and mineral broke up, and everything after is not even close.

anyone remember emogame???!?! funny shit.

nah there's just probably a better name to describe other music than "emo" because emo implies something specific

and yea emo game was hilarious

Guest Airjamie
How can you not know who Fugazi and Rites of Spring are?

AFAIK the original "emo" bands were Fugazi, Pixies, Rites of Spring, Weezer and I belive Les Savy Fav was considered emo as well.

It's been more than a few years though.

Interesting to me to hear that Dashboard and Death Cab are what's considered emo these days.

And I agree with OMC - emo girls are sloppy bitches who shop at urban outfitters. Fashioncore girls are the rail thin sluts with tattoos, and vastly preferred to the former. At least that's who I remember things from when I was into the scene a couple years back.

Uuuuuh. Time to clear this misconception up. The first actual emo band was fugazi. Plain and simple, noone can argue this shit in anyway whatsoever. The term "emo" was coined by Ian Mackaye during the minor threat years in an interview for some fanzine (whos name i have forgotten) in describing the song minor threat and its lyrics being at odds with the dc scenes (and the entire american hardcore scene in general) views on violence saying something to the affect of "im just a normal guy and i want my music to reflect that . Its more emotive than alot of other bands out there right now. I guess you can call it emo". This was fully personified and embraced by fugazi. Although I'm sure every punk historian is with me when i say that the band that first embodied the moder day conception of emo would be the descendents. Then abit later a little band called fucking JAWBREAKER.

If anyone wants to argue I can dig out my old art history paper and actually cite my sources.

Oh, and conceptually, black flag is pretty emo too. Well kindof.