Raw denim Guide for Noobs

jcotteri

To whom ever feels like reading,

I am very new to purchasing and breaking in designer denim. I would normally purchase pre washed denim but as im searching for a new style i recently purchased some Evisu jeans which are the raw denim type. I am scared to wash them at the moment as i didnt know anything when i purchased them and i got a size (32) that fits me perfectly. The cut is straight leg. I really like the colour and size of these jeans and i dont wish to shrink them anymore otherwise they wont fit:(.

What would you reccomend i do washing wise?:confused:

I also recently spilt a drop of tooth paste on the leg so i washed them furiously with a dab of water on a towel, this stupidly caused them to run slightly so there is a slightly lighter patch on the leg now:eek:.

Also to any other noobs could anyone lay down some good general rules or tips to washing raw denim, looking after raw denim and even shopping tips would be welcome.

Thanks in advance:D

Jes

Write more about the model of your jeans, then maybe people know what's up with just your pair o' blue pant. I also think that you seem to be very cautious with your jeans, I mean, worry about a lil piece o' toothpaste. From the beginning, jeans was workwear, meant to be worn real hard. Use your garment hard and be happy.

here is my advice that i give to everyone...

wear them and forget about it. when you wake up in the morning put them on, and when you go to bed take them off. when they stink, wash them. if they have stretched too much, soak them. if you constantly think about the progress of the fading you will never be happy with it.

the most important thing: they are just jeans.

wear them and forget about it. when you wake up in the morning put them on, and when you go to bed take them off. when they stink, wash them. if they have stretched too much, soak them. if you constantly think about the progress of the fading you will never be happy with it.

Here, here…

Good advice cheep. If you wash you jeans in freezing cold water they shouldn't really shrink (they definietly will temporarily, but will come back out in a few days....wearing them while they dry helps too). If you are looking for the most appropriate washing method, read the washing/detergent/etc. threads in the superdenim encyclopedia (there are tons of variations of different methods to suite your situation and desired level of denimnerdiness. With that said, don't wash them until September, at least. Regarding shopping tips, peruse this forum as often as possible: read learn, develop opinions, and you'll know what to buy next.

i concur wholeheartedly. its that simple. its so true that if you constantly look for fades, you wont be satisfied, but hopefully that will only make you rock em' harder. toothpaste is water soluble, indigo is a vat dye, which means it isn't H20 soluble. if you let the toothpaste dry, and then soak it out(with minimal if any agitation) it would dissolve and rinse away, without noticable indigo loss, if any, as these evisu should've been dyed well. welcome to the big leagues. enjoy...

Thanks for the contributions all and i will take your advice specially the wear em hard part :D and the gather opinions part. Thanks and keep them coming:cool:

kindest regards,

Virgin raw denim lover