The Official POD Hotel Reviews and Comments (NYC, NY, New York, hotel, hotels)

herpsky

Name: The Pod Hotel (formerly known as Pickwick Arms Hotel)

Address: 230 E 51st St. NYC, NY 10022

Where is it?

On 51st St, between 2nd and 3rd.

Two blocks away from the 51st st sub staiton on line 6.

Take the 6 local train downtown to Astor Pl, Bleecker, and Spring for your shopping pleasure. Also, you can take the 6 to Grand Central and etc.

Reservations:

You can make reservations here

They charge your credit card on your way out.

Transportation to and from airports:

There's a service desk near the entrance where you can purchase

tickets for Airport shuttle vans. I believe that it costs about 20 bucks to go from the hotel to JFK. Transportation to La Guardia is also available.

Front desk: Ok service.

Concierge: No need for sufu users, I guess. But it is available. They'll make shitty suggestions like "If you want trendy shopping, go to the meat packing district" to 14 year olds.

Bathroom board: In each room, there's a sign with four toilets. Each bathroom on your floor has a number. Whenever a bathroom is occupied, it shows up on the bathroom board. Kinda cool.

Bathrooms: Super clean. There are typically four bathroom on each floor. The sizes vary. The one by the elevators is huge. Body soap and shampoo available in each bathroom (soap pumps...). Each bathroom is completely self-contained. You do NOT share any bathroom space with other visitors. No need to worry about exposing your peen.

Amenities: Each room has a phone. Also, wireless internet (surprisingly fast) is available for free. You call the front desk to obtain a user ID and password. Fresh towels, hand soaps available in your room. iPod dock available (can charge your iPod). NO FRIDGE.

Beds: Kinda small but clean.

TV: LCD. Small. Who the hell watches TV anyway.

Elevators: The only thing that hasn't been renovated. Slow and small.

A/C and heat: Available in each room. No thermo stat but you can control the temperature by turning the knob.

Bunk bed room pics:

hotel005.jpg

hotel004.jpg

hotel003.jpg

hotel002.jpg

hotel001.jpg

Haha! Dude went to Uniqlo! (well of course you would, who wouldn't...)

I agree with your review, I spent five nights there in mid May, after having read about it @ superfuture. I especially loved the bathrooms, the fact that it was always clean, the superb location. The price is definitely right for a clean Manhattan room.

Only good for sleeping and taking a shower though, not spending time in (I don't know who would, but...). Partially because it's so cramped, it's also very, very noisy. I couldn't sleep without ear plugs.

Reminds me of a similar hotel in London by the way, called Base2Stay. Although it's similarly priced, it's actually a little better, because the (also super tiny) rooms have good private bathrooms, fridges and even a microwave.

the air conditioners in the rooms were kinda weak. stayed in 2 rooms at the pod hotel both air conditioners didnt seem strong enough. moved over some pics to this thread from another....

this is the view from my hotel room on the 14th floor....

DSC01182.jpg

there was the best food i ever ate in my life in walking distance. i wish i took more pics of this place. this is a turkish resturaunt called Zip Saks. it was on 2nd street. the food was fucking insane. they had this chicken shish-kabab with toasted sesame bread with this yogurt/tomato garlic sause spread over it. it was the best food i ever had. here is a picture of the turkish pizza, behind it is the olive & cheese appetizer and next to it is the hummus appetizer. awesome food! if you stay at the pod hotel make sure you check this place out, i didnt want to eat any turkish food cuz i thought it would be gross, but now its my favorite food rivaling sushi.

DSC01217.jpg