panerai watch

edmond

hi guys im looking into getting a panerai watch 44mm leather what would you suggest? what specific model of panerai? or any other brands you guys would recommend? thanks!

Not to be rude or anything, but I don't think anyone should be able to tell you how to spend $4,000+ on a watch.

With that said; Budget is going to come into play quite a bit while looking to buy a Panerai. Do you want something simple like the Luminor or Luminor Marina? Do you want something a little more dressy such as the Radiomir? (which comes in all sorts of various styles ranging from $4400-23000) Or do you want one with all the bells and whistles (chronograph, etc.) such as the Luminor Chrono daylight or Luminor submersible.

There are a whole slew of options, depending on what type of watch you want, the look you want, and the money you want to spend.

Check out www.paneristi.com for some more info from the enthusiasts. The site also has current a current price list for 2007 with all the models listed.

Good luck. They're beautiful watches!

Take your time and find the watch you really love, aside from all the hype and what your friends are wearing and all the ads in the magazines. Do your research. If you're dropping over $4,000, don't rush into picking up something that will lose its luster the moment you find some other watch you like. Don't buy a watch based on resale value (unless its a limited edition Audemars Piguet, Vacheron Constantin, Patek); buy it as something you would want to pass down to your kid one day.

Luckily, if you're in Hong Kong, you'll be able to have access to a million watch stores in Causeway Bay. The Panerai is a great watch. I picked up a PAM 164I last year and am hunting for some new straps, which are part of the whole Panerai culture.

Timezone and Paneristi are excellent sites with loads of information. www.thepurist.com also has discussion on watches but only on APs, VCs, PP, JLC, etc. Panerais don't really make the cut because of its modified ETA and Unitas movements. Anyone had a look at Panerai's new,first proprietary movement (Caliber P.2002)?

As Goldengloves stated earlier, the 1950s flybacks are really something special but being a lefty and opting for something a bit easy to read with less fuss, I would go for the left handed models with the crown locking device positioned at the 9 as opposed to the 3.

I believe its the 219. I was halfway thinking of trading in my pop's Rolz + some extra for that.

And as for Rolexes retaining their value, it seems like it only applies to Submariners and Daytonas but someone please correct me if I'm wrong because my Datejust is just begging to be pawned off at the local watch shop.

I love PAMs. So, I am going to iterate what the people have said here.

Go for a Historic. The 111 and the 112 is the simplest Panerai has to offer. 111 has the seconds hand at 9, and the 112 has no seconds hand. I believe the series is on j or i now. So a 111i will set you back about 4 grand. Don't expect a big discount, the demand for PAMs are really high.

Radomir 232 is also a nice watch to have, but it lacks the crown guard that Paneria is known for. However, it is probably the most sophisticated looking watch.

www.paneristi.com is a good place to start. You can fine some good deals every now and then. I paid $3000 for my 111H through Paneristi. Most people start with a 111 and as there interest grows they sell their older watches to helf fund their new ones.

There are some really good fake Panerais out there, so watch out. Ask for all three boxes. The packaging box, the cardboard box, and the pear wood display. They should all have matching seriel numbers on them. PM if you want more info to dstingusih between fakes, there is loads of information I doubt anyone here is interested in.

In my opinion, I love Panerai, but after wearing a replica one for a while I got tired of how big it was (and I have fairly big wrists and hands). I realized I like the weight and size of my Rolex sub a whole lot more. This was the whole reason I opted to get a replica before spending $4G's or more on the real deal; To see if I even like the weight and feel.

So I would go into some local shops and try a multitude on and see how like them.

I agree with Goldengloves about trying out the PAM first. Compared to my Fliegerchronograph and Speedmaster it is a very heavy watch. Keep in mind that although PAMs come at 40mm, 44mm is the standard size. And unless you get a 036, 177, or any other titanium based PAM the watch will be substantially heavier then any watch you've owned.

I work in front of a computer and find myself taking of my PAM toward the middle of the day because of the weight. It is something that I have gotten used to, but is something I would bring to the attention of someone considering a PAM.

BTW if you have a wrist size under 7 inches then I suggest you reconsider. The PAM will almost take up your entire wrist.

Take a look at the IWC 3717 Pilot. I believe it is 42mm now. I have the Fliegerchronograph at 39, and always felt it was too small. The 42 is a really good size. However at 4k there are tons of watches for you to choose from so I suggest you shop around with multiple ADs.

As Goldengloves suggested PAM reps are also a good idea. I have a 028 PVD that has the same movement as the genuine PAM 028, with the identical power reserve. The only difference is the date font (rep makes never get this right), and the lume (reps use cheap lume, while PAM is known for using the tritec lume, and/or Tritium).

After hearing Goldengloves suggestion I suggest you get a rep PAM. Go with a swiss movement. Should run anywhere between 200-350.