Favorite Quotes?

aside from the quotes in my sig...

"I had bought a shirt and a jacket. You know the sensation you feel when you put on a new garment: you look in the mirror, happy and a bit excited in your new skin. But wearing that shirt and jacket I was different; they were old and new at the same time. In the mirror I was myself, undoubtedly, only I was more myself than before. I had a strange sensation...yes, I was wearing the shirt par excellence and the perfect jacket, and beneath them I was myself. I felt protected, like a knight in his armor." - Wim Wenders

"If you don't go, you'll never know" - Robert DeNiro

"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." - William Butler Yeats

"Is there anything more dangerous than being understood?

All the more so, as there is no such thing. You are always misunderstood.

You think you aren't lonely, but in actual fact you are even more lonely."

- Pablo Picasso

"Style is when they’re running you out of town and you make it look like you’re leading the parade" - Sebastian Horsley

"If you don’t know where you’re going, any road will take you there." - same as above

and of course my favorite display of sheer arrogance and condescension ever recorded in vocal form:

"Wh-wh-what's the difference between a 4.0, and a 4.6?"

"About 30 to 40 grand, cocksucker beat it!" - Jay-Z

have always loved the following exchange:

"They told me one time, don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat, if you feel the heat comin around the corner"

"So then if you spot me comin around that corner, you just gonna walk out on this woman? Not say goodbye?"

"That's the discipline."

• 4 weeks later...

You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do.

- Henry Ford

Work is the curse of the drinking classes.

- Oscar Wilde

In wine there is wisdom. In beer there is strength. In water there is bacteria.

- German proverb

Once again, the conservative, sandwich-heavy portfolio pays off for the hungry investor.

- Dr. Zoidberg

Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand.

- Homer

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

- Groucho Marx

Cheer up. The worst is yet to come.

- Mark Twain

Everybodys got a plan until they get hit.

- Mike Tyson

It ain't the heat, it's the humility.

- Yogi Berra

"Jazz is there and gone. It happens. You have to be present for it. That simple."

"Wynton imitates other people's styles too well," he says. "You can't learn to imitate everyone else without a real deficit. I've never heard anything Wynton played sound like it meant anything at all. Wynton has no voice and no presence. His music sounds like a talented high-school trumpet player to me. He plays things really, really,really badly that you cannot screw up unless you are a bad player. I've felt embarrassed listening to him, and I'm white. Behind his humble speech, there is an incredible arrogance. And for a great black player who talks about the blues - I've never heard Wynton play the blues convincingly, and I'd challenge him to a blues standoff any time. He's jazzy the same way someone who drives a BMW is sporty.

Miles: Are you black?

Jarrett: No.

Miles: (Amazed and dissapointed). No man. You lying. You've got to be black.

Jarrett: I'm working on it.

“I was waiting for you,” said Gregory. “Might I have a moment’s conversation?”

“Certainly. About what?” asked Syme in a sort of weak wonder.

Gregory struck out with his stick at the lamp-post, and then at the tree. “About this and this,” he cried; “about order and anarchy. There is your precious order, that lean, iron lamp, ugly and barren; and there is anarchy, rich, living, reproducing itself—there is anarchy, splendid in green and gold.”

“All the same,” replied Syme patiently, “just at present you only see the tree by the light of the lamp. I wonder when you would ever see the lamp by the light of the tree.”

-The Man Who Was Thursday

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of all its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a muddied field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning."

-Blood Meridian

"I have no murders to tell about, but I have joys and sufferings and love. And love is every bit as violent and dangerous as murder"

-The Wanderer Plays on Muted Strings

the good times of today, are the sad thoughts of tomorrow.

-bob marley

and i like this

have always loved the following exchange:

"They told me one time, don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat, if you feel the heat comin around the corner"

"So then if you spot me comin around that corner, you just gonna walk out on this woman? Not say goodbye?"

"That's the discipline."

"A wise girl kisses but doesn't love, listens but doesnt believe, and leaves before she is left."

"I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."

unsourced marilyn monroe quotes

"I have now reread what I've just written, and I see that I'm much more intelligent than what I've written. How does it come about that what an intelligent man expresses is much stupider than what remains inside him?"

That's from "The Raw Youth" right?

You're a fucking hero for getting through that book. Will rep when I can.