New Denim Company Would love your opinions

I agree that black rivets look good on mens jeans especially when the denim is darker, and as for patches I've been working on some for quite some time that I'll post in another thread to get your opinions on. As for commerciality, I'd like to make money but I understand the necessity of being exclusive and retaining that exclusivity. These are all great guys...I welcome any thoughts.

I also like PBJ's black rivets. They take normal copper rivets and paint them black, so they fade to copper over time as the jeans fade...it's a nice detail.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I like a little longer inseam as well but different cuts call for different things, but we do have some as long as 36". As for pictures I will post some in a couple of days there not on this laptop and I've been working remotely away from home at the studio for the next couple of days, though If we finish the raw black womens we're currently working on tonight I'll get some up if not just wait a couple of days and you'll be golden I think you guys will like what we have been doing.

Now in all sincerity I've done extensive market research for the U.S. and most of Europe though currently I have not done much on the Australian market but neon jeans for men? I think we're going to have to stay away from that (maybe ultra limited like 10 pairs for people who really want them...haha) but I've not seen this for me. I've seen neon colored women's denim that has moderate seasonal success in stores like Urban Outfitters but that's not really our thing. Link me some pics.

If I was better looking and more popular I would've started the neon craze down here in Southern California. As it is, I mostly just try and distract people from the fact that I'm mild mannered and unnatractive by wearing clothes that fit.

On another note, I'd say release some nice shorts as well. Have yet to see an interesting pair of "slouchy" shorts, as bizarre as that sounds, for instance.

minimal yet have something that stands out. whether it be quality, design, something that lets me know that your jeans are worth buying over another. i honestly would not take much interest in another basic minial slim cut, cuz why bother when I can easily go buy APCs or Diors for that matter? unless your price is massively dropped, who really would take the time to look at your jeans when you just copy something and has absolutely no branding/recognition?

and you also gotta realize that Superfuture is a very small market full of a very small percentage of shoppers who for the most part, think very much alike. think along the lines of what everyones saying on sufu but what also other people might like.

I think most people on here are just going by what they like...but you also gotta think from a business standpoint. which is the hard part...

I wouldn't recommend a skinny cut if you won't to be ahead of other denim companies, they've been on their way out for some time. I'd say slim (NOT skin tight) straight cut. High or medium rise. Avoid loud washes, go for raw or some anonymous washes like Acne, who use more of an over all fade and less contrast.

Now in all sincerity I've done extensive market research for the U.S. and most of Europe though currently I have not done much on the Australian market but neon jeans for men? I think we're going to have to stay away from that (maybe ultra limited like 10 pairs for people who really want them...haha) but I've not seen this for me. I've seen neon colored women's denim that has moderate seasonal success in stores like Urban Outfitters but that's not really our thing. Link me some pics.

i'd stay away from "trends" such as neon because in 13 months people will realize how stupid they looked with neon orange pants pinrolled like they were going to see ninja turtles secret of the ooze for the first time on opening night. keep it classic.

Only really succesful companies (well, relatively successful, I imagine) have been Cassette Playa and a couple of the australian progressive brands, it seems to me. It was more of a "seriously that would be awesome / and yet on the other hand I don't really think you should do this" sort of suggestion, you see.

I definitely think a post or two above me was right in suggesting mid-to-high waisted denim. Low-rise is getting pretty oversaturated.

if you're gonna do washed, do a very nice subtle wash with light natural looking whiskering

^^ also honeycombs are key to a decent prewashed jean

make a cut similar to the slim jim, versatile it can be worn tight or loose

and do a unique coloured selvedge, something that has been done before - like neon

^^ also honeycombs are key to a decent prewashed jean

make a cut similar to the slim jim, versatile it can be worn tight or loose

and do a unique coloured selvedge, something that has been done before - like neon

honeycombs are a killer for me on washed jeans. they never match up on me.

honeycombs are a killer for me on washed jeans. they never match up on me.

Yeah dont do combs or wiskers because there is a good chance that it wont match up to the correct spot on most people and they look like right dags.

all over fades are ok but area specific distressing can get tricky and look wrong and/or cheap.

p.s the neon thing was a bit of a gag.

not even washes but...if you look at some of the better distressing, theyre simply just some minimal creasing/wrinkling and slight fading on whiskers whch is what i actually favor.

for example, JR Hoboken sugar(?) has slight creasing/fading on whiskers which look natural and good

honeycombs prefaded are horrible, always...

and to the person who said skinny is already on its way out, it hasn't even caught on yet... atleast on my college campus, im pretty sure im the only guy who doesnt wear bootcut jeans, as well, im the only guy i ever see in skinny jeans, besides like one other kid in my 4 years here...

You should devise some sort of ass-measuring method and offer your jeans in various waist, inseam, and ass sizings.

I'm not even kidding.

My random votes:

+ button fly

+ long inseams

+ all black jeans (buttons, rivets, stitching)

+ dual-size belt loops

+ colored weft

+ interesting stitching colors

+ large-ish front pocket openings (I fucking hate that I can't get my hands into my APCs)

+ small detailing--pocket material, hang loops, maybe some sort of small D-ring for keys or a wallet chain

+ raw, one-wash, or tasteful fades and distressing (someone brought up Acne as a good example of this)

+ subtle branding

+ detailed size charts on website

- gaudy back pockets

- boring contrast stitching

- back-of-the-knee fades (these almost never hit right on anyone)

- selvage trim on coin pockets or whatever

- zip fly

- leather anything

- vanity sizing

- super-deep pockets

honeycombs prefaded are horrible, always...

and to the person who said skinny is already on its way out, it hasn't even caught on yet... atleast on my college campus, im pretty sure im the only guy who doesnt wear bootcut jeans, as well, im the only guy i ever see in skinny jeans, besides like one other kid in my 4 years here...

"mainstream" fashion and "trends" are completely different things. just cuz skinny jeans are in doesnt mean everybodys gonna start wearing them...its a trend thats followed by some people and goes away. its like saying slimfit suits arnet in since like 95% of people in suits wear oversized suits that arent very flattering.

Only really succesful companies (well, relatively successful, I imagine) have been Cassette Playa and a couple of the australian progressive brands, it seems to me. It was more of a "seriously that would be awesome / and yet on the other hand I don't really think you should do this" sort of suggestion, you see.

I definitely think a post or two above me was right in suggesting mid-to-high waisted denim. Low-rise is getting pretty oversaturated.

I think it should be noted that I have more Cassette Playa than OMC...

I think this thread is kinda goofy...why are you asking people about what you want to do? you say you lurk here? then you should have a pretty good idea of what "sufu likes."

If I had put in as much time as you thinking about my denim company, by this point I think I would have all of my own ideas pretty much figured out. (granted a lot of style cues gleaned from sufu, since after all this is where I learned to appreciate denim and form my own tastes, but I can't imagine explicitly asking a question like this)

Someone brought up a good point that sufu is a small % of people who buy "this type" of jeans. Even Kiya has mentioned that sufu represents a small portion of his customers.

I don't know if this is part of a grander marketing plan maybe to infiltrate the niche sufu world to make everyone feel involved as if supporting your jeans is like supporting one of our own and hopefully your brand knowledge spreads outside of the niche....Are you asking because us because you plan on debuting it on these forums kinda small time a la ande whall? or are you really asking for ideas because you're not sure on what designs you feel best suit your company?

I would hope theres some sort of vision behind the brand, and would worry that asking for a bunch of random opinions doesn't give it an overall scatter-brained feel. This thread is very different than posting some actual designs or samples and asking opinions.

I like supporting brands that are not only quality, but have their own "identity" so to speak, and if I "identify" with something, thats when I want to buy it. There are brands I respect for what they do, but I would never wear because it's just not me. A thread like this doesn't inspire much hope in me that 23 will be something I'll be interested in once it does debut, but I could be wrong. Maybe the quality will be overwhelming and impress me where the personality may not.

What is 23 going to be about? Fantastic quality denim woven by an 800 year old japanese guy? great modern cuts? detailed repro's? decent quality that mimics other companies'successful offerings at a lower price point? awesome back pocket stitching that makes a bunch of high school kids want to buy it when they see it on a rapper's ass in a music video?

I hope I haven't offended. just my opinions and rambling. maybe you'll make my dream pair of jeans and I'll be all over 23 jeans. Cast my vote for grey cast, one wash, high rise, bootcut, tight in thighs and crotch with a predistressed cock-fade down to my knee to impress the ladies.

definately put alot of consideration into the thread colors. i personally love when subtle things are done in this regard. i really loved the og earnest sewn orange/gulf blue combo, and the way yellow and tradional gold threads stand out on vintage jeans and i especially love how older levis (and apc does this too ) have one gold and one dark blue thread on the inseam.

oh and button fly.

and doing subtle things in regards to washes. i'll echo the acne example and add julian red for subtle but unique effects (pink and orange weft threads as well as using white weft with colored denim etc...)

and if you cant think of a knockout back pocket design, leave it blank. a lame squiggle can really kill a pair of otherwise nice jeans.

i'm not saying its not in, im saying the general public isn't picking up on it, maybe some girls are, but if you look at other trends that come in, they do get picked up on eventually... alot more "mall stores" are having "vintage slim" jeans in last season, so yuo will see people wearing slimmer jeans come the next year or so, so it really depends on what kind of crowd you want to appeal to. Obviously the people who post here, like to stay ahead of the curve, and right on with what is in, not what was in a year ago... but im saying the general person, average consumer is always behind on the trends

"mainstream" fashion and "trends" are completely different things. just cuz skinny jeans are in doesnt mean everybodys gonna start wearing them...its a trend thats followed by some people and goes away. its like saying slimfit suits arnet in since like 95% of people in suits wear oversized suits that arent very flattering.