Stussy vs. FreshJive

slh21

THIS BATTLE KEEPS GETTING MORE AND MORE CRAZED...

STUSSY IS SO MUCH MORE CORPORATE THAN ANYONE KNOWS...

THE CORPORATE MACHINE IS TRYING TO TAKE DOWN INDEPENDENT SMALLER COMPANY...

IT'S JUST REALLY UNFORTUNATE...IT APPEARS THAT STUSSY IS GOING TO STOP AT NOTHING...

THE SHIRT WAS NEVER INTENDED TO INSULT OR DISRESPECT...IT WAS A JOKE, AND A SOCIAL COMMENTARY ON HOW RIDICULOUS THIS MARKET HAS BECOME...

TOO BAD...I HAVE BEEN A STUSSY SUPPORTER FOR MANY YEARS...BUT NOW...??

RICK IS GOING TO FIGHT THIS TO THE VERY END...B/C HE BELIEVES IN WHAT HE DOES

AND WILL LITERALLY PUT HIS MONEY WHERE HIS MOUTH IS...WORD!!

AND REALLY...AS RICK PUT IT..."EVEN IF WE LOSE...WE WIN"...

SHIT HAS BEEN EXPOSED!!

IT'S WEAK THAT IT HAS EVEN COME TO THIS...

PRETTY CRAZY WHEN A COMPANY LIKE STUSSY DOES EXACTLY THE SAME THING

THEY HAVE DONE IT TO LOUIS VUITTON, CHANEL

AND THE FOUNDER OF THE COMPANY IS COOL WITH IT AS WELL

CORPORATE SUITS TAKE THE FUN AWAY OUT OF EVERYTHING

the biggest RISK, is not taking one!

word has it that rick is already in it 200 large in legal fees alone. Man.

I think Stussy is a great brand. It's too bad that this may soil it's name. They are a super conserative company these days, and yes pretty damn corporate.

Quote: frogeyes....

And why would that be? because I heard that from someone who knows Rick? and most likely it's true?

Fuck off douchebag.

pissant, get your facts straight...none of this "i heard from a guy who knows klotz' sisters brother friend bullshit. get some facts before you start dropping shit like that, bitch.

Quote:
Quote: frogeyes....

And why would that be? because I heard that from someone who knows Rick? and most likely it's true?

Fuck off douchebag.

pissant, get your facts straight...none of this "i heard from a guy who knows klotz' sisters brother friend bullshit. get some facts before you start dropping shit like that, bitch.

--- Original message by frogeyes on Jun 10, 2005 07:34 PM

Pretty ignorant of you to think that I might not be in the "industry" don't you think? Whether it's correct or not it's not 3rd hand info. Quit calling bullshit if you don't have anything to back it up with.

WHOAH! WHOAH! ladies, please!

this is like pink floyd vs. led zeppellin discussions. just shutup already.

the plain truth is, nobody but freshjive's accountant, lawyer and the big cheese himself (rick i think his name is) knows how much this is costing them in legal fees. i don't know that much about this case or what damages were claimed, but 200k thus far in what has, at this point, likely only been a bunch of paperwork being filed with the court, seems mad steep. but who knows. both companies, as bobby put it, stand a lot to lose, so maybe there is no amount too great when spending to save your company.

in my op, it's going to settle, i.e. no one is going to "LOSE" and it won't "SUCK" because, if even looked at from a purely PR perspective, it's terrific fucking publicity for both entities. stussy knows it, and freshjive knows it.

it's sad, growing up on Stucci, etc. and then seeing this, i know. but it's not a function of "oh, stussy, fuck off, you sold out..." it's more like simple economics and an economic bottom line. put yourself in stussy's shoes: they are used to being on one side of the parody, and now the tables are turned. in a fit of paranoid fear that they might lose a market share if viewed as the SUBJECT of a parody, they can't rightly start beefing, trying to flip FJ's logo, or take it to the streets (read: message boards) in the hopes that their cred remains intact. so they take the logic road, and they ask their lawyers.

Stussy: How can we stop this?

Lawyer: Uh...sue them for trademark infringement.

Stussy: But...we do that shit all the time, flipping corporate logos etc.

Lawyer: So what? That's irrelevant to what you're presently complaining about.

Stussy: Good point. Let's sue them.

so regardless of the 'facts' and who knows blah's uncle who went to camp with blah and used to run trains on Blah's sister etc., just remember that this is a simple issue of $$$ and has NOTHING to do with hypocrisy, selling out, past relationships gone sour, or a big long legal feud that will go down with bernie goetz and OJ. trust me when i tell you, this is either going to settle, or be dismissed early on (if it even makes it that far).

~~(climbs down from soapbox, goes searching for the parody tee)

~multiflavored RodLavers~

http://abelnyc.com

ALPHA/BRAVO/ECHO/LIMA

either way it's pretty fucked that stussy's trying to break a brand that it's come up with......corporate or no corporate

stussy has some pretty fresh stuff but their quality is absolutely shit.

They should put the money their using to fuck with freshjive into quality control..... fo reals...

either way it's pretty fucked that stussy's trying to break a brand that it's come up with......corporate or no corporate

stussy has some pretty fresh stuff but their quality is absolutely shit.

They should put the money their using to fuck with freshjive into quality control..... fo reals...

Quote:

All I want to know is why is Stussy suing Jive for playing with their logo if they did Gucci and Channel?

--- Original message by slh21 on Jun 8, 2005 12:02 PM

Fresh jive and Stussy as a comany are similar.. Same market, style, influence, quality ect.. for Stussy to make a parady of Gucci, LV, Channel ect. it is ok becuase they are a different field than that of "street fashion," but for street fashion to make a parody of street fashion (IE: FRESH JIVE parodyof STUSSY? I think that is where the beef is and why Stussy got so mad.. (its like GUCCI making a series of tshirts to copy LV's logo; they'd get fucking pissed and be like what? ) Even after warning, FJ still went against Stussy, and put out the

Tee-shirts..Stussy is not the only one mad about this, but so is Volcom, Quik, Obey ect; Stussy was the only one to have the balls to battle it out, plus they got inhouse lawyer so their not really loosing money on lawyer fees..

Idno; whaatever

politics..

http://www.designwrk.com/

Guest REaktLA
Quote: Tee-shirts..Stussy is not the only one mad about this, but so is Volcom, Quik, Obey ect; Stussy was the only one to have the balls to battle it out, plus they got inhouse lawyer so their not really loosing money on lawyer fees..

Idno; whaatever

politics..

I'm not sure about Volcom and Quiksilver,but I know that OBEY is definitely supporting Freshjive.It's on the OBEY website.

The shirts were practically on the shelves by the time stussy made a comment.

After the comment was made- no other goods were shipped.

You don't seem to know what you're talking about...try reading.

Obey isn't mad...Shepard Fairy did an interview with Rick for WIRE magazine this month and is in full support of Freshjive's right to free speech. It's not that Volcom and Quik don't have the 'balls" to battle...it's because they probably don't actually care that much.

Anyway...I'm tired of talking about it. There will be an interview with Rick on thehundreds this week i think??

...you appear to have your facts all messed up.

Quote:

The shirts were practically on the shelves by the time stussy made a comment.

After the comment was made- no other goods were shipped.

You don't seem to know what you're talking about...try reading.

Obey isn't mad...Shepard Fairy did an interview with Rick for WIRE magazine this month and is in full support of Freshjive's right to free speech. It's not that Volcom and Quik don't have the 'balls" to battle...it's because they probably don't actually care that much.

Anyway...I'm tired of talking about it. There will be an interview with Rick on thehundreds this week i think??

...you appear to have your facts all messed up.

--- Original message by KEERST on Jun 14, 2005 12:31 PM

After Stussy made a comment; they were still on the shelves at Jacks Surf in Huntington Beach.

So maybe not obey; Who cares. Quik and Volcom are pissed about it and supposed to have litigations agianst FJ. possibly apear in court..

http://www.designwrk.com/

I said...after the comment was made by Stussy- no other goods were shipped. Of course the product was still on the shelves. Don't think anyone's worried that much about it except stussy...

I mean most of us think this whole thing is just silly. We all have friends and family that work at all these places. Stussy included.

Ya...I see where you're coming from on this...

but even LV sent stussy a cease and disist a few years back over the monogram print...

So...really it's not on a different level...it can be viewed both ways...

So is free speech and logo parody only acceptable if it's poking fun at higher end couture...??

seems like an oxymoron to me...but...i kind of see your point that it would be retarded if gucci parodied LV...hey...wait a minute...what about when LV did the rainbow murakami monogram and then other same market brands started doing their monogram in rainbow. That's the same. This crap happens all the time and will continue to...it just shouldn't be taken so SERIOUSLY.

i got all three of those freshjive shirts... obey, volcom, n quik... you think keeping them around i could make some money off someone on ebay or what?

n to Bobby Hundreds:

get yur shit sold in goodfoot/nomad please. t prices to canada are too high man... not to mention the conversion to US dollars. it says international... like US and Canada arent really that far they're the same continent... haha can a superfuture brother from Canada get hooked up with the 28$ t?