31 members have voted

1. 1. who will win

• mayweather will obviously tattoo that greasy mexican
    • oscar will decision because they are fighting in fucking vegas
    • larry merchant is a funny motherfucker

eh i hope not

im a zab fan. I train at the same gym he does, hes a beast

But - cotto's bodyshots might just be too much for him

i'm actually a zab fan, too. hard not to be in nyc. broke my heart when he lost to kosta and mayweather. but cotto is a monster. i hope zab wins though.

i feel like this one will come down to what de la hoya does while he still has gas in the tank

as the stronger smarter fighter i think his best bet would be to aim to do some damage as early on as possible

if it goes to the later rounds the younger faster floyd will just pick him apart for a decision win

what an underwhelming fight

played out as everyone expected i guess

so much clinching after so much shit talking from floyd

could have been a draw imo, seeing as oscar took the initiative for most of the fight while floyd counterpunched effectively although maybe too sporadically

de la hoyas fault he lost

as he began to run out of gas (which took a lot longer than i expected) he wasted what energy he had by going for these huge high swings hoping for some impossible knockout

even though floyd didnt seem too shook, you could tell the early body shots had some effect as his legs lost some of their spring, he took to dodging with his head (oftentimes just leaning back, so many prime opportunities for step in body shots)

i guess oscar was too mad or too old but he would waste his step ins, let floyd tie his arms up, and then almost as an afterthought hed toss these pointless flurries at a range at which he couldnt even rotate his hips

if i were freddy roach id have told him jab then body every round after the fourth tbh

ineffective cornering and clinging to a losing strategy lost the fight for oscar imo

ill give it up to floyd though

he did what he had to do to win the fight

i think he knew from the first round he had no chance at really hurting de la hoya

psychological game was tight, very effective at what he did

first undercard was lots of fun at least

you could tell the early body shots had some effect as his legs lost some of their spring, he took to dodging with his head (oftentimes just leaning back, so many prime opportunities for step in body shots)

mayweather always does this...

i don't think it was as close as people are making it out to be... mayweather picked him apart. look at any hopkins fight where he dominates and you won't see him being the aggressor, obviously. not to mention the compubox numbers... 207 of 481 (43%) for mayweather and 122 of 587 (21%) for de la hoya.

anyway i thought it was a great fight, you're all just haters. ):

i def have much respect for floyd

with speed like that you cant not respect him

but i feel like his approach to this whole bout was a bit tired

especially the criticism he spat about oscar preying on opponents past their prime (given that was essentially what he himself was doing)

tbh i thought it was silly that he talked of how he would massacre oscar, the much bigger much stronger man, whereas it was obvious from the start he would be largely unable to hurt de la hoya

the whole script was so ali-derivative, only minus the climax

as far as the closeness of the fight goes, that first volley of hooks to the body definitely slowed floyd down for a while

and though he definitely controlled the later rounds with some real crisp counters, a big chunk of his punch count were nothing more than pokes with his left arm extended (not really jabs, i dont really know what to call them)

no doubt oscar was dragging his feet by the end, but not due to any real accumulated damage

basically given his quicker hands, quicker feet, and superior endurance im simply disappointed that pretty boy played it so safe

I'm surprised a lot of people and the media in general are saying it was such a good fight. It was okay, but the truth was I kind of stopped watching after round 8-ish or so because it got too boring. I honestly thought Winky Wright's recent fights were more entertaining/exciting, and that's saying s/t.

Maybe I've just been spoiled watching a lot of the feather/lightweights though.

I'm surprised a lot of people and the media in general are saying it was such a good fight. It was okay, but the truth was I kind of stopped watching after round 8-ish or so because it got too boring. I honestly thought Winky Wright's recent fights were more entertaining/exciting, and that's saying s/t.

Maybe I've just been spoiled watching a lot of the feather/lightweights though.

I don't know, I'm a fight fan and I enjoyed it. I think all the hype surrounding this had a lot of people, not boxing fans, expecting some huge high paced event.

I don't think any of de la hoyas body shots effected floyd at all, he rolled and blocked most of them. By the 3rd or 4th round it was over and floyd was just picking him up - throwing a left hook and slipping, right cross slip - classic floyd. I don't know why people are so suprised that mayweather wasn't more aggresive, that's not his style. For all the shit he talks, he's not wild, he's not unpredictable - hes a calculated fighter and one of the best of this era.

oscar lost. kinda unclimactic.

gotta give it to floyd, he looked like a sweet pea in his prime.

he also showed that he has a really good chin.

the fight was closer than most people predicted. i think a de la hoya in his prime might have been able to win, but i think he does worst with cuties.

i don't think going to the body would have worked for de la hoya. floyd has such good conditioning, it wouldn't have mattered much. also, with floyd's superior hand speed and movement, it would have opened oscar up to more pot shots.

however, i think zab did a lot better against mayweather than oscar did.