B-Boy Culture

Being from Seattle I know B-Boy culture is big out here, figured there's probably some other SuFu heads that are into it.

Two of my current favorite b-boys are Free and Orb, both from Seattle, both from Circle of Fire. You can see 'em here:

I3FX99xGWAY

of course there's Ichigeki, here's their performance from Battle of the Year 2005:

KBuqq6KdOzc

and definitely the most famous from Seattle is Massive Monkees, they're world famous especially for their insane routines. Here's just a 2 on 2 battle with some of their members, there's actually about 15 - 20 I think.

hyxTv1Nqyqs

anyway talk about b-boys, favorite tracks, battles, whatever.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CoF is so fresh.

Here are some of my favorites.

Paranoid Android (Sour Patch)

Micko (Sour Patch / ex United B-Boys)

David (ex Circus Runaways ex United B-Boys)

This isn't a battle it's a routine. This video does no justice of what these guys can do. I just can't seem to find any videos atm.

BNtmjY-_oCo

edit: Found the battle between Salajin of Terror Bunch vs. Paranoid Android.

ZDlqFDLM8Qw

i like old school Kangol/Puma suit action..

that new shit belongs in cirque de sole.

What was it that Guru said in Style Wars Revisited quoting Crazy Legs?

Something like these new cats aren't b-boys, they're acrobats.

On a somewhat related note, I was watching that breakdancing documentary (forget what it's called) and they said people stopped breaking cause there were cases of 'testicular torsion'.

Ouch.

What was it that Guru said in Style Wars Revisited quoting Crazy Legs?

Something like these new cats aren't b-boys, they're acrobats.

On a somewhat related note, I was watching that breakdancing documentary (forget what it's called) and they said people stopped breaking cause there were cases of 'testicular torsion'.

Ouch.

Those cats are old. Do they not know that times change and things around them evolve?

They call new b-boys names because they can't hang anymore.

It can't be the 80's forever.

ACCEPT IT FUCKERS!

nah for me its the styles..

like i just cant watch some dude wrap his leg around his head and bounce on his knuckles. haha

shit just seems weird to me.

i like old school moves done with new styles, but that contortion shit is just odd to me.

Syc - those were some tight videos, though I don't really like the first one, that routine seems more like abstract than breakdancing. And the battle, those two guys have good moves but they don't seem to have that great of flow, they don't ride the music well. But it's interesting.

international b-boys always have the weirdest flavor, like Rythmn Sneakers from Japan

yDAclt3EAXo&NR

dude in the all red has some crazy shit goin' on

NpdLz0WFbQM

YO CLASSIC SCENE RIGHT HERE

oh, and b-girls are almost always whack.

nah for me its the styles..

like i just cant watch some dude wrap his leg around his head and bounce on his knuckles. haha

shit just seems weird to me.

i like old school moves done with new styles, but that contortion shit is just odd to me.

I agree.

The contortion stuff is weird, doesn't seem like real b-boying.

For me it's all about how they ride the music and have a good flow / style

The contortion stuff is interesting and different, but I don't think it can take the place of actual breakin'

I don't know man, all this shit seems lame to me now. 1980s b-boys were products of their environment. B-boys today are just trying to replicate that energy, and that life. Like Elvis impersonators. Shit feels forced.

i have a bone to pick wiht these bboys. they come to a club and fuckin takin up the whole fuckin dancefloor. people came to dance not watch you fags drag your grimey ass bodies on the floor and get sympathetic claps. get the fuck out the club and spin your backs outside the gutter with a mat!shiet!

funk styles >>>>>>>>> bboying.

just my humble opinion. maybe i'm just jealous of the bboys though. haha.

one thing i really am jealous of though is the b-boy community. in my travels across east asia the b-boys were mad tight and if you were a b-boy people would be extremely accomodating. i don't really see that strong of a community in any of the other dance styles - unless you're famous or really good...

and definitely the most famous from Seattle is Massive Monkees, they're world famous especially for their insane routines. Here's just a 2 on 2 battle with some of their members, there's actually about 15 - 20 I think.

hyxTv1Nqyqs

anyway talk about b-boys, favorite tracks, battles, whatever.

Speaking of this battle,Hong 10, Physicx are 2 of my favorites.I think they would have done better in that particular battle if they were on the same crew and could've collaborated beforehand.Physicx is always dope to watch but he gets sloppy between his power moves. Ronnie is dope too but Omar is kinda whack in comparison.

Ronnie vs. Lilou

OqK9onDvDeU

Physicx vs. Darkness

XW8d0EjYsEQ

that motherfucker Lilou is crazy as hell, he killed it in the Redbull Championships

JKQ83Bo9g3s

Lilou vs. Hong 10

z95u6K0XxyY

here's the "best of the battle" slowed down, you can see some of the crazy shit they both do

yo jax, one of my boys is out in seattle and hes been working on a documentary on massive thats supposed to be on national geographic..he also has done some stuff with orb and free..

you can check out some of his stuff on mixcast.tv under the seattle section..

as for circus...they suck, no one can judge a battle because the shit they do is uncommon and mostly they have their cheerleaders or should i say team jumping and screaming after they do a spin move...in reality if you want to do any circus style you have to throw your legs on your head and that pretty much covers it.

edit: didnt korea bite off ronnie when he went out there for an event some years back?

Circus is dope its just another way of bboying. The culture is evolving and getting more complex. We can't just do footwork the whole time. This new phenomenon of just doin flava shit is WACK! Mighty Zulu Kings is killin bboying! Think about when Benji, Crumbs, Kujo, Kamel, and other cats were at their peak. All different styles and it was judgeable. Now everyone wants to do is flava ass footwork.

My . . cents

i think i was going off on a rant there, but i agree the culture is evolving but there are only so many crews that do that circus style and no one else wants to touch it so how can a battle be judged if someone does a chin spin and their cheerleaders are the only ones jumping, of course a bboy battle isnt based on crowds reaction. i have to say that doing flava is wack but i think its a fundamental to be able to dance and have good footwork while throwing in power or whatever but i think these dudes just roll on floors and scream..

on a side note i dont like circus because those dudes have major attitude issues that they need to correct..ive been to battles where dudes are ready shoot and it sucks that shit happens but what else can you do.

ive meet and hung out with some zulu kings in norcal...they seemed pretty chill. also had a chance to meet alien ness and by far he is one cool person to chill with.

that motherfucker Lilou is crazy as hell, he killed it in the Redbull Championships

JKQ83Bo9g3s

Lilou vs. Hong 10

z95u6K0XxyY

here's the "best of the battle" slowed down, you can see some of the crazy shit they both do

I never new there was much of a scene out here.

BTW - I walked by you on Saturday at the UW. You were sitting on some chair across the street from the bookstore. Im pretty sure it was you - You had on that polka-dot hoodie.

I never new there was much of a scene out here.

BTW - I walked by you on Saturday at the UW. You were sitting on some chair across the street from the bookstore. Im pretty sure it was you - You had on that polka-dot hoodie.

was I smoking with some guy that looked like Jesus? haha

I was actually on my way to the Massive Monkees battle on campus at the University!

Wait a minute... were you wearing Levi's and had a polka-dot (Porter?) shoulder bag?