best/favorite hardcore show.

just watched american hardcore a few days ago and was reminded why i spent so many years obsessed with this music. so much amazing concert footage (bad brains!!) and some really great interviews. wish they would have spent a little more time on the midwest because (and yes i might be biased) so much great hardcore came out of here like Negative Approach, The Fix (maybe my all time favorite), Necros, Die Kreuzen, Articles Of Faith, MeatMen, Zero Boys, Effigies, Latin Dogs, etc... but whatever still super impressed. saw a lot of great shows throughout the 90's a lot of them i've forgotten and i missed a lot because i was either too lazy or too scared to drive into certain neighborhoods in detroit when i was young but heres a few of my most memorable....maybe not the best bands i've seen but most memorable shows...

Gordon Solie Motherfuckers final show at Speak In Tounges (or really any GSMF or 9 Shocks show). an uprooted tree in the pit, tv's, trash cans, bottles flying everywhere.

Cleveland Hardcore Fest in Detroit at Trumbull Theatre. no heat, probably 5 degrees outside and maybe 20 inside, 2+ feet of snow that day, 7 cleveland bands including the ruiners, darvocets(!!!), 9 shocks terror, gordon solie. one (real) sword onstage, one (real) sword in the crowd, blood, broken bottles, dishes, forks, a lot of people banned from the venue. fun!!

Negative Approach first (and only?) unannounced reunion at the Magic Stick. over in 15 minutes, maybe 20 people there. all the classics with 3 of 4 original members.

el dopa - stalag 13

dissucks - stalag 13

human investment - newark de.

remission - stalag 13

i miss stalag 13.

hardcore shows kind of run into one for me as it was more than 10 years ago since i've been to a real hardcore show and at that time i was buying 40's and trying to get my drink on.

bands i missed but wished i saw

the pist

i still havent seen american hardcore yet. heard mixed things about it. will have to check it out.

Damn, I've been to hundreds of shows, it's impossible to keep straight who was on what bill. But a short list of the best bands I've seen off the top of my head:

DropDead

Spazz

Operation Ivy

The Gaia

Assuck

Citizen's Arrest

Burn

Los Crudos

Limpwrist

Candiria

Sam Black Church

Varukers

Nausea

Underdog (not the reunion, back in the late 80's)

Assfort

Voorhees

2 Man Advantage

There's just too many to name, really. But not nearly as many as the crappy bands I've seen, for sure. And Poly, The Pist weren't that great the time I saw them.

Citizens Arrest...very nice.

Los Crudos. Totally forgot about this band. All their shows were amazing....even when they had that white guy playing drums for them. Made the trip out to chicago to see the final three shows all of which were amazing...i remember something about the possibility of a drive-by at the very last show at the gallery in the pilsen because of a fight the previous night at the fireside jose (i think) was involved in. thankfully nothing happened.

and yes i too saw the pist and don't remember them being anything special....

[quote name=arem;429708

Citizen's Arrest

Los Crudos

There's just too many to name' date=' really. But not nearly as many as the crappy bands I've seen, for sure. And Poly, The Pist weren't that great the time I saw them.[/quote]

i remember something about the possibility of a drive-by at the very last show at the gallery in the pilsen because of a fight the previous night at the fireside jose (i think) was involved in. thankfully nothing happened.

I'll never forget the first time my band played at the Fireside. We were standing ouside before the show talking to some of the local kids, and our bass player was leaning against the wall with his arms crossed. One of the locals warned us, with absolute seriousness, that we REALLY shouldn't do that, because it was considered a gang sign and could lead to a drive-by. We were like, GTFO, we're from Brooklyn you ain't scaring us with that bullshit you tell kids from Wisconsin. But we had several other people give us the same warning, and finally we just said fuck this shit and stayed inside the rest of the night. That night we stayed at Martin from Los Crudos place, and he confirmed that people weren't just pulling our legs. CBGB didn't have nothing on the Fireside in that respect.

hmmmm

my first hardcore show was the Pist reunion show in new haven

another great one was gorilla biscuits/unseen/leftover crack/pacmen/self-defense @ trash in danbury, ct a while back

disaster strikes/angry simoans/pacmen/kill your idols @ toads place in new haven

Guest jmatsu

make up in detroit

the great unravelling in d.c.

the rachels (not hardcore but...) in ann arbor

jihad in kalamazoo

the mummies in l.a.

Friday Night Hardcore at The Stone Pony, Asbury Park, NJ between 1995 and 1998

at some point in '98:

25 Ta Life - stone pony asbury park, nj - kids hanging on the sprinkler pipes broke them and flooded the place

the next week:

E-Town Concrete and Fury of Five - stone pony - with no stage barricades or bouncers, stage was torn apart

next week:

no more hardcore shows at the stone pony

oh, and one.king.down with their original singer (i forget his name)

the rachels at michigan league? make up at the detroit contemp? and saw jihad in kalamazoo.....at a lot of the same shows maybe.

make up in detroit

the great unravelling in d.c.

the rachels (not hardcore but...) in ann arbor

jihad in kalamazoo.

hmmmm

my first hardcore show was the Pist reunion show in new haven

YES!!! My fav was The Pist & Aus-Rotten (yes, that's right, both of em'!) at The Asylum In Exit in DC (this is before "Ideas Are Bulletproof" came out).

I screamed so much I was spitting blood afterwards - these are photos from the actual show (except the one on the right is just me from when my band first played at CBGB's in 1998) - dig Phil's hand-screened Anti-flag tshirt!

brett.jpg

Poly - I saw Dissucks too, first time was when they opened for Blanks 77 @ The Loft in Baltimore in 1995. This is back when they had 2 singers and one guy was so trashed he passed out during the show. I saw them a couple of years later in Baltimore when they had only one singer and were much tighter.... I actually still have a dissucks tshirt!

Out on the west coast, we didnt really have basements so my first ever basement show was 86 Mentality out here in Chicago during like November. Such a good time, super low ceiling, one lightbulb on, about a hundred kids squeezed into a tiny, grimey basement with beer and other shit all over the floor. Good times.

Besides that, I'd say the Gorilla Biscuits Reunion was a damn good time along with the 108 reunion.

I still wish I got to see Limp Wrist when i had the chance.

YES!!! My fav was The Pist & Aus-Rotten (yes, that's right, both of em'!) at The Asylum In Exit in DC (this is before "Ideas Are Bulletproof" came out).

I screamed so much I was spitting blood afterwards - these are photos from the actual show (except the one on the right is just me from when my band first played at CBGB's in 1998) - dig Phil's hand-screened Anti-flag tshirt!

Poly - I saw Dissucks too, first time was when they opened for Blanks 77 @ The Loft in Baltimore in 1995. This is back when they had 2 singers and one guy was so trashed he passed out during the show. I saw them a couple of years later in Baltimore when they had only one singer and were much tighter.... I actually still have a dissucks tshirt!

i can't rep you brett, i gave out too much in 24hrs. but dissucks w/ ray and jay was amazing. the bassist just got in touch with me and said they're working on the discography, but no real progress. i soulseeked a lot of their stuff, pm me if you want it. Ray actually just passed away recently, RIP. I had a dissucks shirt once. Dyed it red and it turned pink. i was pretty awesome, wearing a pink dissucks shirt. i'll say it again, probably my favorite philly band of that era and they actually still surprisingly sound refreshing after all these years.

arem- i don't really miss the fact that i missed the pist, just more so the fact that i missed them twice. Once right before stalag 13 closed and then was planning to see them at the last few tune inn shows, but missed those b/c my car broke down. Just the era i suppose.

showcase showdown were VERY good early on. I saw them back in like 94 or 96 w/ the new bomb turks and did a very good oi' ish sound.

I'd be curious to hear that Dissucks stuff Poly, we played with them once or twice back in 96 (I think) but I don't really remember much besides the two singers being out of their mind drunk for the shows. I think I have a 7 inch or a demo tape somewhere in my stash too.

Showcase Showdown were good too, very underrated. Nice guys/gals too, we played with them in Providence once and they were friendly and funny people.

assfactor 4 at more than music fest in columbus, ohio in 94? or in philly around the same time. this band ruled live. the drummer sat on a cooler for chrissakes!

Lol! when A//Political was around here in Baltimore there drummer was too fat for a drum stool so he had to sit on an upside down plastic bucket (the big white kind that street performers use)

i still have all my pist 7"'s sitting around in my record pile - ideas are bulletproof is amazing, costumer is always right.. all the fucking good shit, best years of my young adolescent life. i got pretty disenfranchised with the scene though when i heard the pacmen (ex-pist) and self defense were leaving - also i had discovered that being straightedge made me incredibly depressed so i said fuck it. i still listen to all my hardcore favorites all the time though, its all on me ipod. in fact i spent most of the day listening to angelic upstarts and black flag (ginn era).

aus-rotten are another good live one i saw with the unseen and amelia airheart found alive

Damn, kinda cool to see Aus-Rotten, Dropdead, His Hero is gone, The Pist, A//political and other stuff on here. But I haven't been to an actual punk/hardcore show in a few years, I've just never had rides. I've missed Gouka, Tragedy, Driller Killer, Riistetyt, and a bunch of other awesome bands because I was only 14 and now i'm only 15 so it still sucks. haha good shit though