The WTF are u doing with your life thread

homi29

Yeah, it sounds like a shitty idea but I'm confident in it for some reason. I'm basically just doing what I would be doing here except now I'll be three hours away and not super unmotivated with no friends.

especially in this economy

what the fuck are you going to do with an art degree?

no hate, I just see no point in getting an art degree except from a top ten university or similar

I talk shit about people going for art/dance/whatever degrees all the time. In Vanilla's defense, she's got a super good foundation laid with her comic, and I don't think it'd be a stretch to see her develop and refine that and turn it into something (that's you, right?). The ones I hate on the most are the kids that want to be rappers, or artists, or dancers, or actors, and waste tens of thousands of their parents dollars chasing some fantasy, but never do a thing to turn it into reality. Like, if you wanna be a rapper or an artist, show me your demo or your portfolio. Oh, what? You haven't made anything, ever? Hmmm...I guess you're still waiting for your "break".

Yeah, I've already got my foot in the door when it comes to making comics. I agree that art degrees are normally useless but I really have no other interests (when it comes to school) so I'd rather go and become a better artist than be miserable pursuing other things. I'm content with the idea that I'll be doing shit small jobs for a lot of my life because at least I'll still be able to draw and make comics on the side because that's what makes me happy. I don't want to waste my time on things I hate doing.

as silly as I think it is, the art degree route gets a semi-pass with me, maybe cause it could maybe possibly apply to something you could earn a living off of in some way. The one I absolutely don't get are people that go to college for "dance". What the fuck is this. Tell me how this applies to anything at all in any way.

3592960452_90656305a7_m.jpg

Here's my advice:

a) Find a hustle that pays the bills and work hard at it. Don't let idealism obscure the fact that you've gotta work hard and that you've gotta pay the bills.

B) Find something that you're passionate about and pursue it. Keep chasing it even without the expectation that it'll pay dividends anytime soon.

c) Do what you can to make your passion into your hustle. Be it by networking, working for free, or sucking a mean dick. Have a goal, make a plan, and go get that bitch.

d) Never trust anyone whose advice includes even the faintest suggestion of top tiered schools.

^ i don't know what my passion is

fuck it. i'll just keep going the safe finance/accounting route and hate myself later while glued to a computer screen, poring over numbers and wondering how my life could've gotten so shitty so quickly.

is a real job really all that bad? I guess I do what some people would like to do for a living, but I always question if I wouldn't rather have a "boring" job that paid better and was more consistent, and one that I could just check out of at 5pm. I hear people on here bemoan regular jobs and fantasize about eeking out a living being an artist or a singer or something they "love" to do. I dunno, I guess if your parents will fund you forever so you can pursue your dreams then you're psyched, but priorities change super dramatically when you have rent / a mortgage to pay and kids to feed. I think I'd gladly trade doing what "fulfills me spiritually" for a stable and financially rewarding job.

is a real job really all that bad? I guess I do what some people would like to do for a living, but I always question if I wouldn't rather have a "boring" job that paid better and was more consistent, and one that I could just check out of at 5pm. I hear people on here bemoan regular jobs and fantasize about eeking out a living being an artist or a singer or something they "love" to do. I dunno, I guess if your parents will fund you forever so you can pursue your dreams then you're psyched, but priorities change super dramatically when you have rent / a mortgage to pay and kids to feed. I think I'd gladly trade doing what "fulfills me spiritually" for a stable and financially rewarding job.

I'm going to play devil's advocate here. This is pretty misanthropic. I think you're building a strawman fallacy out of people who choose to enter noncommercial fields, by evoking the persistent mono-myth of everyone's invisible rich parents.

Yes, it's true that because post-secondary education is shamefully expensive in the West, and because the arts have become so dependent on the University system for patronage, the arts world has a class distinction, but it is not homogeneously so. I think that in trying to make a socio-economic distinction between artfags and people with real jobs you make it seem like art cannot be important, and cannot fulfill a civic and social function, which it can, and does. But it seems like you're playing into the Western idea that only things that perform an economic function have that kind of currency. It's funny in that by shitting on people who don't want to live an upwardly mobile, financially stable job, you don't realize that you are essentially making fun of the working poor. Which, by choice or not, a lot of artists are.

All I know is I am an artist and I have a BS degree, but I also have a fulfilling, demanding job in the non-profit sector, and I pay my rent on time. And I still hate the idea of working the types of jobs you were just talking about.

This would up sounding pretty critical, but I'm really just trying to join the conversation.

@gramps

If you don't mind me asking, what's the non-profit job? I have a pseudo-interview on Tuesday with a Toronto non-profit that seeks to connect business and art across Canada. I think it's something I want to try, because it brings together several things I am passionate about.

Yeah, I've already got my foot in the door when it comes to making comics. I agree that art degrees are normally useless but I really have no other interests (when it comes to school) so I'd rather go and become a better artist than be miserable pursuing other things.

I think art degrees can be very useful, if you go to the right one (I think the networking and training as a professional is key- those who treat it as a 4-year painting lesson will end up waiting tables). I don't think a community college can offer you what you'd need to get ahead as an artist.

Also- I find it hard to believe that you have no other interests school-wise. Whenever I look at my school's complete course listings, or listen to my biochem/engineering/whatever friends talk about school, or look at Khan Academy, I almost feel overwhelmed with how much there is to learn. I honestly feel that if I wasn't studying economics, I would be just as happy if not happier studying computer science, archelogy, architecture, etc, etc.

I want to think that shit has really gone off the rails in the last while, based on my school vs. the real world experience.

"School was always more fun". Heard it dozens of times, but it has never rang true for me, I guess time will tell though. I ground out my years in university, U of A in Canada, which based on my international experiences in the UK and US, is way more work for less gain (at least in terms of access to things like professional programs). In my years of a science degree I learned that scientific Academics are not to be trusted, and they have a total lack of understanding for 'real world' accountability.

When working for the academic community, paychecks did not come on time, working conditions were sub standard, and there was no understanding that you were a valuable employee and not capable of being replaced a moments notice (even though the job required a degree to do, and I had project specific knowledge. Compare this to my real world experience of having hard work lead to progress, having paycheques some on time and in full, and getting some reasonable treatment while low ranking. The defining moment for me was when I was in an elevator with some pHD students, and I was griping about how my paycheque was going to be two weeks late because I was working in the field during the period for hours submission, and therefore incapable of doing it myself. His response was "welcome to the real world". I tore into him for that one, covering the basics that in this magical 'real world' pay comes on time, employers have responsibilities to their employees, and something to the extent of "fuck scientists, I'm going into construction"

I work in construction now, where hard work begets progress, progress is appreciated, and it feels good to put in a hard days work. I also appreciate the lower hours, improved pay and reduced workload.

Guest roastedchickenwing

question

are most of your friends meet during highschool-college, or do you meet majority of your friends (including best friends) in your workplace, clubs, trips, etc?

im in college and its hard to make friends

@gramps

If you don't mind me asking, what's the non-profit job? I have a pseudo-interview on Tuesday with a Toronto non-profit that seeks to connect business and art across Canada. I think it's something I want to try, because it brings together several things I am passionate about.

I work in refugee issues and settlement, in Parkdale. "Non-profit" can mean a lot of things, I used it here for comprehensibility's sake, I usually say I work for a community agency. If you'd like to know more, or want to tell me the name of the org. you're applying at, shoot me a PM.

Full disclosure: I make very little money.

im in college and its hard to make friends

I think college is pretty much the easiest place to make friends, but I've heard stories of people not talking to a single other student for 3 years. So I guess it's easy if you're a little confident, but that much harder if you have some difficulties connecting to other people.

That said, I never made friends with anyone from my class, as I felt they were mostly half-retards circle jerking each other with the most basic concepts from the curriculum Good Will Hunting-style. I made tons of friends from other places though and there are usually plenty of after school activities you could look into such as photography clubs, anime clubs, poker clubs etc. And once you make a few friends it's so much easier making more.

I'm at this stage in my life where I want to work with other like minded people and create lots of things, not just clothes, but many good things. I won't go as far to say as I can do anything because that is far from the case, but I know a lot about random things that always seems to be useful. I have a lot of things I want to do. The people I know who I believe to have talent are usually the same people who don't want to work at all, still living in cloudy mess thinking 'work'= 9-5 for 40 years and hindrance to their freedom, which is obviously not the case, but if you haven't tried it you'll knock it I guess.

I suppose if you're talented and feeling underappreciated or can't find something you want to do, get at me. We can put our brains together or I can just give you some advice I guess. I don't want to coach the guys who still can't ask girls out or anything, I am talking work and deriving enjoyment from that.

^^^ this. I'm going through a weird pseudo 'mid-life crisis' where I'm trying to figure out paths. I have a few great job options (one in NyC, other in Tokyo) but part of me doesn't want to really work for someone else. I have so many other ideas that I'm starting to actually put into motion, started writing screenplays again, making music, doing my own s/s collection because I fucking hate everyone elses, but at the same time I have my parents (who are both giant fucking losers) trying to talk me into going for something more "real" and down to earth. An I know I'm still young, but I really feel like I gotta make up my mind soon or everything will slip away.

^

I think I am going back to school for that reason.. after being in a generic 9-5 job since completing honours in a couple of creative fields I realised despite the money an office job (this one at least) is not for me.

I have paid off my university fees and am still young too so I am free to do another degree or an MA.. the number of choices is so daunting though.

Like you I am worried I will let this or whatever chances I have slip away D:

^^^ this. I'm going through a weird pseudo 'mid-life crisis' where I'm trying to figure out paths. I have a few great job options (one in NyC, other in Tokyo) but part of me doesn't want to really work for someone else. I have so many other ideas that I'm starting to actually put into motion, started writing screenplays again, making music, doing my own s/s collection because I fucking hate everyone elses, but at the same time I have my parents (who are both giant fucking losers) trying to talk me into going for something more "real" and down to earth. An I know I'm still young, but I really feel like I gotta make up my mind soon or everything will slip away.

This is not a mid-life crisis or anything like that.

Just offered a sous chef position at 21 at an upcoming and potentially successful restaurant. Debating whether I want to leave the place I'm at now (job security) or hop on a project that could tank in a year.

fortune favors the bold, right?

Just offered a sous chef position at 21 at an upcoming and potentially successful restaurant. Debating whether I want to leave the place I'm at now (job security) or hop on a project that could tank in a year.

fortune favors the bold, right?

Do it if it feels right. In food it's about the effort you're going to put in day after day and really mean it. If you're the sous you don't really need to be the guy with the vision, you just need to get out there and really fire away at all cylinders every night and make sure it's solid.

Hate going to restaurants you've been to before and enjoyed, where you really look forward to reprising at least some flavors, and it falls short, and all you can think is 'that pivotal somebody must not be in the kitchen today'

Moving to Iowa City, Iowa in less than a week. Following my boyfriend and getting an apartment with him and going part-time at a community college to get an art degree. Spending the rest of the time working on art, hopefully getting a job and being all sorts of social. Looking to adopt a cat too. I wonder if there are any sufu-ers in Iowa City...

I grew up in IA, did my undergrad in Iowa City and loved it enough to stick around a couple years after. It's an easy town to love, the downside being that it's an easy place to get stuck spinning your wheels. Enjoy your time there!

Yeah, it sounds like a shitty idea but I'm confident in it for some reason. I'm basically just doing what I would be doing here except now I'll be three hours away and not super unmotivated with no friends.

this sounds awesome. just kidding. Sounds like my sister... who is now moving back into my parents home with her new husband and two cats.