chinese denim

Funny that their "Denim Test" was performed by a stylist and a trend analyst...wouldn't be my first picks for a judging panel.

Interesting article though...suprising to see that 7 will be cutting back their prices so drastically. Maybe now they'll be priced on par with their reputation for quality.

i am surprised, actually, that japanese denim is so common; i didn't realize that 7 for all mankind and rocawear have been using japanese denim for their jeans-----i guess i had myself thinking it was this rarified thing.

One of my favorite pairs of jeans that I own is a pair of predistressed jeans from Ruehl and on the inside label the tag reads "Made in Mexico of Japanese fabric". For a while they did a few pairs of jeans with japanese denim, and some even with selvage lines in the waist and everything. They're by far the most comfortable pair of jeans I've ever owned.

Guest Airjamie

i am surprised, actually, that japanese denim is so common; i didn't realize that 7 for all mankind and rocawear have been using japanese denim for their jeans-----i guess i had myself thinking it was this rarified thing.

Nah dude, i remember J. crew making a big fuss about 5 years ago about releasing an all japanese denim line. Actually i still have a couple pairs of wu wears (fuck you guys, that line was great at the time) from the 90's that are japanese denim. I'll see if i can dig em up.

There is a blessing; "Made in Japan"

There is a curse; "Made in China"

When looking for mills two years ago, it was much easier to look in Japan than in China. For me, then, everything that came out of Japan was good. And at the same time, i thought, finding a comparable quality in China was a shot in the dark.

Today; wouldn't it be ignorant to think that, for example, if the indigo is from India, the cotton from Zimbabwe, that only Japanese mills could do a good job putting it all together?

As i'm writing this i think of what difference it would make if i bought the same ingredients for me and a gourmet chef, and compared the results. But then again, ignorance is bliss.

i found a year-old article about chinese denim

i'm still searching for my best pair of american homegrown jeans. kind of wished i got a pair of corpus selvedge tal when i had the chance

i found a year-old article about chinese denim

well i guess just as Cone's products extend across the spectrum of denim goods, Kurabo, Kaihara and all the other bigger japanese companies might very well have their fingers in every pie.

fallen angels, take a look at past-season Kicking Mule Workshop, as well as Yamane.

There is a blessing; "Made in Japan"

There is a curse; "Made in China"

When looking for mills two years ago, it was much easier to look in Japan than in China. For me, then, everything that came out of Japan was good. And at the same time, i thought, finding a comparable quality in China was a shot in the dark.

Today; wouldn't it be ignorant to think that, for example, if the indigo is from India, the cotton from Zimbabwe, that only Japanese mills could do a good job putting it all together?

As i'm writing this i think of what difference it would make if i bought the same ingredients for me and a gourmet chef, and compared the results. But then again, ignorance is bliss.

Chinese business politics is made some certain product so cheaply that it will drive others out from the field. I don't know if theres lot of skateboarders from the US but you of all should know...

The japanese love of quality (term "quality" discussed in another thread :) ), detail and uniqueness is one thing that makes "Made In Japan" appeal to me.

thailand is really coming up too. my man suthee is doing big things in bangkok. good quality stuff.

china, italy, thailand and america are a long ways off from making the super slubby jeans that you see in the cream of the crop japanese brands. also, japan is the only country i've seen that is making selvage denim well over 14oz. the fact is, there isn't a big enough market for china to start making the kind of denim us denimheads lust over. that's why japan will always be the home of the most exclusive denim.

fallen angels, take a look at past-season Kicking Mule Workshop, as well as Yamane.

thanks for the tip, tip. i heard last seasons LMW were made in china but with japanese materials. i thought that meant the denim was made in japan and then sent to china to be made into jeans (please correct me if i'm mistaken).

after reading this article i was thinking about premo quality denim made in china, and i just thought it would be cool if chinese denim brands started producing their own jeans (instead of just making jeans for other companies) and started getting the recognition that japanese denim brands get now. but i dont see that happening soon or anything, since chinese-speaking countries are dont have the same deep denim culture that japan has, nor the market (as miznation mentioned above), but i'd be happy just to get some quality chinese denim brand jeans that is as nice as the japanese denim we love. just some wishful thinking.

thailand is really coming up too. my man suthee is doing big things in bangkok. good quality stuff.

china, italy, thailand and america are a long ways off from making the super slubby jeans that you see in the cream of the crop japanese brands. also, japan is the only country i've seen that is making selvage denim well over 14oz. the fact is, there isn't a big enough market for china to start making the kind of denim us denimheads lust over. that's why japan will always be the home of the most exclusive denim.

yup, until someone else can make super heavy(more than 14 oz.), slubby, well dyed denim with all the fixings, i will still lust over japanese repros. Sorry.:o

To my understanding, Yamane of Evisu-fame is using rope-dyed, shuttle loom selvedge dneim made in China for his eponymous line. I actually was at the store opening last fall in HK just doors up from Take5's old location. Kurabo makes versions of it's fabrics - ringxring - out of China that are pretty damn nice for half the price. I actually have some cuts of Chinese rope dyed, shuttleloom selvedge all very slubby and quite open in construction - it's nice stuff. I think the main difference you will find is overall execution of the fabric in production i.e. the fabric samples will be comparable but when you order thousands of yards, it may not be as consistent as Japanes and Italian denim... My 2cents.

that would be cool for diversification but not sure if it would work business-wise unless they had a decent/strong reputation to start with imo

of course, but to gain that reputation they need to start with good quality and construction, and something that makes them unique (being a chinese denim brand helps, but i mean something appealing in their brand image). add a little sufu love and it could happen.

Actually China can pretty much make anything these days. Even super slubby denim. I've seen some that are just as slubby as Oni's. They just don't have the aesthetic just right yet. But when someone goes over to the factory with a sample and telling them how to do it, then it's a piece of cake for them.

• 2 weeks later...
14 to 15 oz. Made in China! :)

oh wow, the 5th one looks pretty slubby too. In terms of production, made in china just carries a personal prejudice that makes me think of short cuts and cheapest production method that i will most likely never be able to shake off. unless the price difference is a hundred or more with pretty much the exact same quality to the eye, i will probably go for the japanese product, especially with denim.