Cuffs

Fuuma

Do you wear them: yes/no, how big? why?

I'm especially looking for the historical info some highly knowledgeable members can provide (why/where did they start?, how big were the rockabilly cuffs?, what is the current trend, etc)

i cuff my jeans 2.5-3" as per Rockabilly Manifesto so dictateth

the purist RAB scene has always been into dry selvage denim. matter of fact, i didnt even realize that there were so many folks into dry selvage jeans until recently when i discovered these "style forums" as the only people i see on a regular basis that wear dry selvage jeans are at RAB gigs/record hops.

if you look at old photos of RAB "heroes" like James Dean, Eddie Cochran, Elvis (circa 54-6) etc they all wore their jeans cuffed with about 2-3" of cuff. and figures like Brando in "wild ones" wore his jeans cuffed as well. That look carried through into the early 60s with the "Ton up Boys" in the UK (aka Rockers, as in mods vs rockers) and is the style du norm of most modern rockabilly boys/teddy boys/greasers.

as for why...i've never really heard an official reason. my guess would be because the pants were too long so it was practical to cuff em up, which would also be a statement of "rebellion" since the "squares" would in all likelihood have hemmed them. there were other things that were done to jeans during that era that were considered "cool" like cutting off the belt loops and cutting off the levis red tabs and leather patch.

as far as current trend, i dont know or care what "normals" do about cuffing/hemming but a 2-3" cuff with the jeans ending with no break over the shoe is how the more stylish rockabilly guy will wear his selvage jeans. i like to wear my Levis '47 501xx, '29 201xx, Lee '37 101 cinchbacks the most (all repro of course). but i do like to check out some modern stuff and own Nudie RR and APC new standards which are pretty cool in my book.

Cuffs have been around as long as jeans. It wasn't about style, but about having a sturdy pair of pants that wouldn't break apart at the seams. Cuffs might not have been stylish per se, but they got the job done. Also, early jean fits weren't exactly tailored, so each owner would cinch up the back, and roll them up till they fit. So cuffs have been in use since denim was used for american workwear - and thats since the very beginning.

and for sure brando and elvis rolled up their jeans!

• 2 years later...

no cuff with skinny pants

1 cm cuff with my LVC

I roll up my super wide junya watanabe jeans.

i kinda stopped wearing regular jeans i.e. raw, indigo, selvedge, and etc

i cuff my jeans if they're too long because i'm too lazy to get them hemmed... it's not an aesthetic thing, if i have a choice between different lengths i would just get the correct length (rather than rolling them up).

the only functional reason i see for cuffing your pants is if you want to peg/pinroll them.

btw, on the shirt front i am totally opposed to shooting french cuffs out of your jacket sleeves as seems to be the style recently (esp with respect to overly shortened jacket sleeves ala wes anderson).

a little bit is fine and appropriate with french cuffs but i am referring to more than 1/2"+ with arms at side which just looks gross in most cases.

i actually don't show much barrel cuff (if any) - a lot of my shirts have really narrow cuffs (helmut, etc) and they never make it far enough up my wrist. i understand this is not "correct" but it looks totally fine so whatever.