La Dolce Vita--Marcello's Sunglasses

Leeacto

Most vintage Italian films used the venerable Persol.

They never would have used Gucci which probably didn't make sunglasses at that time; Gucci was strictly a leather goods shop at that point.

Exactly, people tend to forget how recent the rise of Gucci and Prada really is, they used to be quite unfashionable leather goods makers at the time.

Most vintage Italian films used the venerable Persol.

cosign. fellini had a penchant for brioni suits and (i believe) persol frames for his films... 8 1/2 in particular. so it i wouldn't see why la dolce vita was any different

and if i remember correctly, gucci was more of a yuppie thing way back in the day.

Cool. Do all Persols have teh Silver arrow hinge? This were just big black, sweet looking aviators. the stems were straight (didn't curve around the ear). I wish I could find a pic. sorry

Here are a few vintage photos of Persols that are still available:

sjff_03_img1214.jpg

otto_gr2.jpg

Exactly, people tend to forget how recent the rise of Gucci and Prada really is, they used to be quite unfashionable leather goods makers at the time.

I don't even think Prada was well-known; Gucci at least had some recognition at that time.

cosign. fellini had a penchant for brioni suits and (i believe) persol frames for his films... 8 1/2 in particular. so it i wouldn't see why la dolce vita was any different

and if i remember correctly, gucci was more of a yuppie thing way back in the day.

Gucci in the '50s and '60s was a big "jet-set" thing, sort of the LV bag of the day with its silk scarves and Snaffle-bit logoes.

At the end of the '70s, they had become duty-free goods, destined for Japanese tourists looking for a Gucci belt. Then there was the whole controversy over Paolo Gucci goods.