Diesel Ranan

Abit of a newb to premium denim, though I have done some reading and do probably know more than the regular joe on the street.

Anyway, I'm a sucker for raw denim and I just recently picked up a pair of Diesel Ranans to complement my G-Star Radars. My issue with the Ranans is that it is perhaps abit too baggy and the leg and inseam is a little long even with a decent cuff.

The tag on the Ranans state that they will shrink with wash and advises buy big. My initial plan was to avoid washing with these Ranans and dryclean instead, but given the bagginess and excessive length, I've been thinking a wash and some shrinkage might be of benefit.

So a couple of questions:

a) how much should i expect to lose in terms of leg width and length with one wash?

B) how will one wash affect the raw quality/appearance of the denim?

c) will a dryclean help me achieve the minor shrinkage in leg width and length i desire?

Thanks. Any comments or feedback from the experienced head would be appreciated.

I got mine Ranans just before christmas, and I did not wash them before last month (could not stand the very baggy fit anymore).

I washed them at 40 degrees and dryed them by hanging them outside. In my oppinion, they didn't shrink much. Atleast not as much as I expected. But the character of the denim changed. In contrary to the very stiff material they are when you buy them, they are now a very soft denim. Very nice to wear now.

Mine are a size 32 width and 32 length on the label, and I think they maybe shrinked 1½ inch in length, and about 1 inch in the waist. I was hoping for a bit more, but they are still very nice jeans.

I hope that helped you a bit.

That was helpful, thanks, philipo.

Just a couple of questions, though:

a) The one wash didn't make a huge impact on the bagginess or leg width?

B) The denim is now softer and less "raw" looking after that one wash?

I like the raw look and don't mind the stiffness of the denim and would like to preserve both if possible. Mine too were 32x32. My understanding is that they were only produced with a 32 and a 34 inseam which is disappointing.

Thanks once again.

Any further comments or advice would be appreciated.

a) Exactly. I was expecting them to shrink as much as for example my Edwin selvedge jeans did, but they didn't. They got a bit tighter, but i will definitely still describe them as baggy/loose fit. And the leg width did not change much either.

B) Yes very softer now. Much softer then my other raw jeans after the first wash. But they still look raw.

i walk 23 miles to a fresh spring water pool,that remains secret deep inside central park,and using only imported soap from hiroshi fujiwaras secret denim soap factory in Pusan,i gently scrub the denim everso gently using only the finest secret denim washing bristle brushes,then i rinse them with acient tabokan water,charcoal filtered oof course,then dry them only during a lunar eclipse. that might work for you pretty well.

Quote:

I mean really, you guys put them in a washing machine!!!

Shit were is that Darth Vader pic when you need it, screw it I'll just say it... NOOOOOOOO!

--- Original message by snapcult on May 29, 2005 07:49 PM

don't be a wuss. wash your jeans once in a while. it's a pair of jeans, not a fur coat.

Quote: i walk 23 miles to a fresh spring water pool,that remains secret deep inside central park,and using only imported soap from hiroshi fujiwaras secret denim soap factory in Pusan,i gently scrub the denim everso gently using only the finest secret denim washing bristle brushes,then i rinse them with acient tabokan water,charcoal filtered oof course,then dry them only during a lunar eclipse. that might work for you pretty well.

Your attempts at humour are woeful and a symptom of the larger problem plaguing message boards and the Internet more generally. A person who readily admits their relative lack of knowledge, asks a legitimate question and sees his thread hijacked by the Internet Thug with a Dungeons & Dragons avatar.

Get back in the basement, son, I hear Everquest calling your name.

The serious replies were appreciated. Basically what my question amounts to is:

what differences in shrinkage am i likely to see from washing vs. drycleaning? Particularly with regards to width or "tightness" of the jean.

what differences in shrinkage am i likely to see from washing vs. drycleaning? Particularly with regards to width or "tightness" of the jean.

Dry cleaning won't shrink the jeans, nor will it remove much indigo or starch.

Washing will shrink the jeans (unless the denim was sanforized) and also remove a little indigo and most/all of the starch. Denim will shrink more on length than width, so if your jeans are baggy when 'dry', then they are likley to remain baggy after washing (albeit a little less baggy).

Quote:
Quote: i walk 23 miles to a fresh spring water pool,that remains secret deep inside central park,and using only imported soap from hiroshi fujiwaras secret denim soap factory in Pusan,i gently scrub the denim everso gently using only the finest secret denim washing bristle brushes,then i rinse them with acient tabokan water,charcoal filtered oof course,then dry them only during a lunar eclipse. that might work for you pretty well.

Your attempts at humour are woeful and a symptom of the larger problem plaguing message boards and the Internet more generally. A person who readily admits their relative lack of knowledge, asks a legitimate question and sees his thread hijacked by the Internet Thug with a Dungeons & Dragons avatar.

Get back in the basement, son, I hear Everquest calling your name.

The serious replies were appreciated. Basically what my question amounts to is:

--- Original message by 0ld School on May 31, 2005 12:25 AM

Classic icon_smile_big.gif

Edited by Circa on May 31, 2005 at 01:44 AM

• 3 weeks later...
Quote:

Can anyone tell me how, if possible, to give my jeans that original stiffness again? or atleast give it some stiff feel back to it.......thanks

--- Original message by DeZiAc on Jun 15, 2005 08:57 PM

try dousing the hell out of them with heavy spray starch. it won't last too long but will keep them crisp for a day or so -

603935_m.JPG

"Today's peacock tomorrow's feather duster. "

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Quote:
Quote:

I mean really, you guys put them in a washing machine!!!

Shit were is that Darth Vader pic when you need it, screw it I'll just say it... NOOOOOOOO!

--- Original message by snapcult on May 29, 2005 07:49 PM

don't be a wuss. wash your jeans once in a while. it's a pair of jeans, not a fur coat.

--- Original message by so twisted on May 30, 2005 03:49 PM

funny