STuSSY

Tyrol

i find

customade and limited edition stussy stuff in addition to collab. stuff (like hectic X stussy)

cool

my friends always tell me not to wear stussy b/c i neither skate nor surf.

i dont think stussy is geared towards surfers and skaters but i could be wrong

what do you all think?

Shawn Stussy started in 1980 as a surfboard shaper & then branched out to merch. by 85 which is typical. By the late 80's/early 90's he found his niche with more street sensible designs & became one of the forefathers of this now massive genre.

The brand has had its ups & downs...

I think for a brand with a 20/25 year run at this point, it's holding up quite well!

There is a pretty big back storry that is actually interesting & some excellent designers have come from camp Stussy, etc. etc.

-Dub

Certainly the brands roots are surf/skate though so "purists" might expect you to leave the gear alone. That's silly as hell though. Like if you don't hoop you can't wear Nike Blazers because they were the Nike's early signature Basketball shoe. Oh & if you're not a "polo" player you should leave those shirts alone... Everything has an origin. Your friends are trippin'!

-Dub

Tyrol, Im from AU too....and from what I understand is that Stussy AU is just a licence, or something similar, everything is designed down here just under the Stussy name....this, i think is pretty lame in itself.

Don't get me wrong, some of the stuff isn't all that bad, but then a lot of it is. so in answer to your question/comment, the 'cool' stussy that many people refer to is from the other side of the globe. Speaking of Globe, my mate used to work for Globe industries in North Melbourne who distribute a lot of those brands, Stussy, Mossimo, MONE11, Mooks, Globe etc, and from what I remember he told me that a lot of the design was done in house, he was in accounts and he said there were clothing designers working around him for all the brands.

Try it, you'll like it!

cue is absolutely right...stussy australia is completely different from stussy asia and stussy japan...unfortunately, australia doesn't get to see alot of the stuff stussy puts out...in my opinion, stussy's entire range has it's faults, but that's just because they're lines each season are so broad...if they reduced their overall collection, you'd see alot more good than bad...in the end, how can you hate one of the companies that started it all...

however...

lately, their legal battle with freshjive has put a bad taste in my mouth...for a company that use to strive off originality and flipping other brands into their own designs, this whole lawsuit is hypocritcal and childish...