ECKO FINALLY DYING?

Haha word. Message board beef has been cooked.

And as far as race is concerned, I definitely don't consider "Urban" in black and white terms.

I see just as many white kids rocking Ecko, Rocawear, Phat Farm as I do Latinos, Blacks, etc.

Quote: I think there are a lot more angles to streetwear than just skating and hip hop... at least, I think the culture I hold dear is more varied than that.

Yes there definitely are more facets of streetwear than just skating, graffiti, and hip-hop, but it seems like today's breed of streetwear companies promote those elements the hardest.

It's funny how much heated debate can be sparked when the term "streetwear" is tossed around and what exactly it is or what defines it.

Edited by eastcoastrider27 on Apr 2, 2006 at 07:47 PM

And not for nothing, but if I remember correctly, one of the original designers of Phat Farm's clothing worked originally for Stussy and Supreme, and went on to found Alphanumeric.

Goes to show that the worlds of streetwear that may feel and seem like they're removed from one another intersect at some point, always.

Edited by onemancult on Apr 2, 2006 at 08:00 PM

I hardly see anyone wearing ecko anymore. And I'm not trying to get involved with any kind of white/ black/ urban/ streetwear debate...but I mostly see white kids rocking XXXXXL nba-team logo jackets with 5XL white under shirts (look like women's dresses) wearing ecko right now. Thats just my personal observation.

Echo's streetwear based roots fit more closely in to their origins and their production between say 1996 and 1999, probably when some people here were too young to really even be pickig out their own clothes, or before they even listened to the hip-hop. So many of the items that echo made during those times are almost exactly like items taht have been released by supreme, and many other streetwear companies in the past 5 years. They used to make their own box caps back in 97/98, They made parody football and basketball jerseys in 98 before supreme released their throwbacks in 2002-2003, They were making very technical cut and sew pieces, such as anoraks, ski jackets, and so on durnig the time period. They were doing cut and sew before many current streetwear lines were doing anything besides t-shirts. They were also doing branded promotion t-shirts for brands like the roots before supreme and alife were diong similar items for the Wu, Diplomats, and public enemy.

This was all happening while streetwear brands such as stussy were only selling in pacific sunwear. I can't really speak too much about those brands before say 96, but I definetly can say ecko was doing everything current streetwear brands now are trying to do. Every person here who wears LRG because they like the designs and construction, or was wearing it a year or too ago and stop because it became too popular and switched to streetwear would have been wearing echo in 97-98-99, because LRG is basically an exact replica of what Echo used to be. CUrrent ecko cannot be compared to old echo at al because it has been dumbed down, but anyone who can really participate in this agrument would be able to reference clothes produced during the mid 90's or else you really can't speak on how streetwear became what it is today, you'd just know what it is today

DOES WHAT I SAY INTEREST YOU?

I am available for employment,

full time, part time, & consulting, depending on the numbers

I am willing to work for major companies, brands, stores, and magazines

possibly whereever you want me to work, or what gap you need filled is up for discussion, from working directly with clothes to freelance writing

feel free to inquire about anything

contact email: [email protected]

Edited by jjs home on Apr 3, 2006 at 04:42 AM

that just reminded me, on of my favcorite shirts fromthe past was an ecko branded roots illadelph half life shirt. it was fucking dope.

but they ruined zoo, and thats enough for a lifetime of hate

simplicity we use to survive, do what you doing properly, thats the way thru life

I have that shirt in my closet at this exact moment in grey

"The mental of the roots is beyond any computer, judge, prosecutor, or drug distributor" - Black Thought

I can't really hate on anyone for ruining zoo york because I never cared about zoo york, but lets not place the blame solely on marc ecko, they sold out by even trying to become involved with him at the time they did, when he was trying to market his brand to the mainstream as opposed to his core, and thats their fault. If they had been so true to their origins they would have never sold in the first place, or kept going hard trying to remain exactly as they were under the ecko umbrella, neither of which they did. Those guys either played themselves or played their core audience. A prime example to prove why they did this would be LRG. When those guys cut their major deal they just took what they were doing and made it better, with the help of more advanced production and better materials

comparing ecko, to phatfarm, rocawear, and sean john, basically shows that a person has no knowledge of what echo was like back in the day, because the companies origins are vastly different from any of those mentioned as far as artistic and classic streetwear inspired roots

DOES WHAT I SAY INTEREST YOU?

I am available for employment,

full time, part time, & consulting, depending on the numbers

I am willing to work for major companies, brands, stores, and magazines

possibly whereever you want me to work, or what gap you need filled is up for discussion, from working directly with clothes to freelance writing

feel free to inquire about anything

contact email: [email protected]

Edited by jjs home on Apr 3, 2006 at 05:10 AM

and just who the fuck are you, dude?

edit:

and what's the big problem with me commending someone for making a knowledgeable,

well thought-out post? i didn't take credit for it, i didn't say i had anything to do with it; no

big deal. quit trying to clown people for no legitimate reason.

Edited by onemancult on Apr 3, 2006 at 09:41 AM

Peace to the guy who mentioned the first early pieces of Ecko's Marvel line. That shit was fucking insane. I remember walking in the mall and first seeing the Captain America sweater. I don't wear that shit anymore, because it's too small, but if it fit I'd still be killing that. I also remember beasting over the Punisher skully with the Combat Helmet Logo on it. Shit, they also had the denim jacket with the fake bullet proof vest with the Skull. CRACK

I've moved on, obviously, but Ecko will always have a place in my heart. Fuck anybody that doesn't appreciate that.