A question for the Levi's experts.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

If I'm understanding you right, I don't see any red thread attatching the pocket to the demim. It says 501 on back of the top button and doesn't say anything on the rest of them. The other thing is that there's a number stamped on the pocket lining. At this point I'm pretty much positive that they're fakes. I think the fact that there's the redline on the outside of the coin pocket and on the back belt loop, makes it obvious. They're still a pretty cool pair of fakes, although I'd rather have had the real thing.

I tried typing the number that's on the tag in google 501-0193 and here's one of the results:

New Levis 501-0193/505/569/550 Series 18,000 pairs

We have 18,000 pairs of Levis 501-0193/550/560/569 series,Factory case packed,Serious inquiries only. Book your order now these will go very quickly, These are the most sought after jeans. Also 501-0115 series 6,000 pairs. We have Type 1 in addition. Price to low to mention call 1-866-575-3880.

Click here for picture

fob: MS/SA/EU - - price: CALL

Edited by AmericanTemplar on May 29, 2005 at 09:08 PM

--- Original message by AmericanTemplar on May 29, 2005 09:01 PM

i think there is a genuine early levis model with the selvedge on the outside of the coin pocket, anyway it looks cool. And there is deffo one with it on the cinch - the 1886 model i think.

I can't find any pictures of such a pair on the internet. I would think that if they did exist, there would be at least one picure of them. I'm not about to tear them apart to see whether or not they're authentic. As I already said, my suspicion is that they're fake, but I'll still wear them regardless, so I want to keep them in a wearable condition.

• 3 weeks later...

8.06: yes, these look totally legit.

No 501s EVER had selvage visible on the outside of the watch pocket or cinch.

The Japanese LVCs form this spring I've seen looked good - no visible differencees from the Valencia factory ones. But I haven't seen the US-made ones. I wonder if Japan is suplying Europe, or whether certain models are produced at certain factories.

this particular seller has sold a number of these jeans recently

i'm pretty certain that they're legit...however, i'm even a bit more certain that they are NOT from the valencia factory.

in his description he states that the valencia factory was closed in 2003, which to my knowledge is not true...it closed down sometime in 2002.

also, i had inquired about a previous pair he had up for auction, and he told me that the top button was stamped 'R' which would indicate that they were produced by a non-Levi factory in the US under contract with LVC

so...if you're just interested in a pair of LVC, I'd say go for it...but if you're looking for a pair produced at the valencia st. factory, i'd be cautious

hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...
Quote:

that's something i'm not sure of...i don't own any of this 'new generation' lvc, nor have i seen any...nor have i heard anyone comment on the quality of them...i would assume that they are right up there nonetheless

--- Original message by Shorty Long on Jun 18, 2005 05:31 AM

CAN ANYONE GIVE ME SOME INFO FEED BACK ON CARPE DENIM JEANS -ARE THEY REAL OR WHAT

dave angol

Quote:

that's something i'm not sure of...i don't own any of this 'new generation' lvc, nor have i seen any...nor have i heard anyone comment on the quality of them...i would assume that they are right up there nonetheless

--- Original message by Shorty Long on Jun 18, 2005 05:31 AM

WHOS OUT THERE

dave angol

Quote:

I bought a pair of Levi's off of ebay recently and I think that they might be fake. Aside from having the redline inside the leg, it's on the outside of the back belt loop and on the outside of the coin pocket. They were sold as 1955 repro's. Do any of you know if Levi's made jeans with the redline in those places, or are these definite fakes? Thanks!

--- Original message by AmericanTemplar on May 25, 2005 06:34 AM

hey,

i picked up a pair like yours @ the rose bowl for $40. they're fake but have a nice fabric and a nice rinse wash with some light authentic whiskering. that's the reason why i bought them. i think they're so funny!;)

Quote:

what does the 501XX mean compared with 501?

--- Original message by aitsuka on Jul 12, 2005 08:58 AM

xx is the name of levis proprietary fabric. it used to made exclusivly by cone, but now by other people. they still cal unwashed 501 fabric xx because it is shrinkl to fit, although obviously its alot differant than vintage fabric.

sweet-orr

well, based on the what i can see i'll give it late sixties or sooner... 1968+ since the stitching on the back pocket doesn't look to be 2 tone.

but since paper tags then DEFINATELY after '54

BUT.. if it is a legit repro with ALL of its original tags, then where are the LVC tags/booklet? there's 4 days left in the auction - ask the buyer for more pics .. like closeups or tags, buttons and rivets?

Better pics would help, she's not really showing you much..... icon_smile_sad.gif