teaching english in japan? Ladies bring your bear mace

PAND

Latest story of Lindsay Hawker, not sure if this gets coverage elsewhere, but its currently big in the uk:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2007140434,00.html

A BRITISH woman has been found dead — buried naked in a bath of sand in a flat in Japan. Pretty English teacher Lindsay Hawker, 22, went missing in Tokyo at the weekend.

Police are now hunting the man who lives at the flat in Ichikawa, east Tokyo. Locals say Lindsay visited on Saturday to help Tatsuya Ichihachi, 28, with his English

Looks like the guy they want is a NHBD fan - that denim jkt looks familiar:

capt.sge.kdz66.290307132122.photo02.photo.default-325x512.jpg?x=218&y=345&sig=LAg2Y506YPk1lWxIFl24pw--

I can't think of the last national news of a foreign language student getting found in a bath of sand in slough over here.

Japan, great place, just not if you're a white woman.

Japan, great place, just not if you're a white woman.

yeah, cuz this type of shit happens all the time. every white woman i know who went over to japan has been brutally murdered. it's really crazy. it's like the hottest thing right now in tokyo, next to track bikes and all-over print hoodies--killing a white woman.

I wanna sympathize for the family. But honestly, how you gonna go to some guys apartment for "English" lessons? The guy isn't a looker either, so either she was completely dumb or sexually involved w/ the guy, thus completely dumb. I remember of a similar incident of an English woman working at a hostess club and being murdered by a client. That said, you honestly have to put yourself in these situations....they don't just come sitting on your lap.

I wanna sympathize for the family. But honestly, how you gonna go to some guys apartment for "English" lessons? The guy isn't a looker either, so either she was completely dumb or sexually involved w/ the guy, thus completely dumb. I remember of a similar incident of an English woman working at a hostess club and being murdered by a client. That said, you honestly have to put yourself in these situations....they don't just come sitting on your lap.

1) You know they always pick the craziest looking pic they can find for mugshots, this guy probably looks perfectly normal; not that looking crazy and being crazy are perfectly in synch anyway, they used to believe that in 9th century france but we've evolved psychiatry quite a bit since that time.

2) No one makes 100% rational choices carefully considering all possibilities, even the most unlikely ones. I'm pretty sure you took bigger risks in your life than going to the place of a person you weren't 100% familiar with, especially if your job is involved

3) Unless your lifestyle is waaaay different than mine, I'm pretty sure you've brought home girls you had just met, were they all dumb girls who would have deserved what they got if you killed them?

4) Fact of the matter is that these things happen but are freak occurences, while you may protect yourself from the obvious ones, can't do much aside from that. This was not an obvious one, from what I can gather.

5) There's a tendency, when a women is killed or raped, to think she has some sort of responsability in this, I'm sure if you reflect on it a little you'll find that, short of keeping them home and having them wear burkas to run to the convenience store, our social choices and the way we live pretty much dictate that this shit will happen to someone at some point.

6) I know it feels better to think that we have some control over this, and this is probably why we try to add an element of personal responsability to it. The reality is that these are like thunderstrikes, short of staying in a cave for your whole life you might get struck.

Good points Fuuma. But I'm gonna have to respectfully disagree on this. A lot of your points could be generalized to any situation. Sure there is a possibility that I could win the lottery tomorrow and also get murdered in a seedy part of town; but the probability is small and largely mitigated by my own choices. Seriously you have to agree there exists some liability on the women herself, its not like the guy came into her apartment unannouced. She went into his. So there obviously had to be some connection. She should have known better IMO.

Irrespective of the point of view. I think we both can agree that the article is horribly biased and probably doesn't fairly reflect the true facts of the case.

yes................