Fragrance Thread

gimmegimme

gris clair was the sexiest fall/winter scent ever, and i am getting a jug of it. perfection.

like snorting shards of grey glass, kicking back, and letting the sharp edges cut away all the bullshit in my brain to leave only total clarity.

I'm so used to hearing bullshit perfume reviews...that description is perfect.

If I could only recommend one to anyone, anytime...it would be the greatest perfume every made...Mitsouko by Guerlain. Its perfect for any man or woman, its not too expensive, available everywhere, and although created in 1919, never dates.

Perfume is like music...if you love it the first time you smell it, chances are you'll overdose on it and get sick of it. Something that strikes you as interesting at first, but slowly moves to the top of your list will last much longer. Mitsouko is like that...strange, interesting, and possibly off-putting at first, but always grows on you.

gimmegimme, i think you are offically the powerhorse of this fragrance thread with your knowledge:D

Im quite interested in this mitsouko you recommend., however on the link you provided it says its for women? is this something unisex like ck one?

Where can I find these in HK to try the samples before pulling the trigger?

gimmegimme, i think you are offically the powerhorse of this fragrance thread with your knowledge:D

Im quite interested in this mitsouko you recommend., however on the link you provided it says its for women? is this something unisex like ck one?

Where can I find these in HK to try the samples before pulling the trigger?

Ya, don't worry about the gender classification...its all just for marketing. In the end, you're the only one that knows anyway.

The whole men's/women's fragrance separation didn't happen until the 70's...before that, everything was considered unisex and it wasn't really an issue who wore it. You'll find a lot of the older scents, like Mitsouko (which is Japanese for "mystery" if anyone's curious) are fairly masculine smelling anyway. It wasn't until recently that women's specific fragrances started doing the "fruity floral" thing...many of the classical women's perfume are based on leather and woods.

Mitousko is classified as a "chypre", which is basically any scent that has bergamot in the topnotes, and oakmoss (along with usually iris, amber, and often patchouli) in the base. Chypres are often much more wearable by men because of the heavy, mossy ingredients.

I just tried "The Different Company" and I must say its like nothing Ive ever smelled before! My favorite are the bergamote and rose poivree. But the price point is way above the standard major brands like Chanel or Dior.

You're right, it is more expensive...but that boils down to ingredients, and of course packaging. An economical way of buying their stuff is to get the 250ml "estagnon" bottle, which is aluminum and intended to refill your other bottles. Its significantly cheaper and you get a huge ass bottle.

i remember seeing a jasmine and cigarette scent from somewhere(dont remember)...any recommendations for something of that nature? i want something kinda gritty/masculine, but gentle/sorta fruity at the same time coming together as one cohesive scent.

Jasmin & CIgarettes is by Etat Libre D'Orange (available at Herny Bendel's in NYC, Holt Renfew in Tornto, or in Germany at First in Fragrance). Rose Poivree mentioned above from The Different Company falls in that same category, as does Voleur de Rose by L'Artisan Parfumeur, Sarrasins by Serge Lutens and Paprika Brasil by Hermes.

Really interesting thread. How would I start if I wanted to design my own fragrance? Has anyone an idea of the process?

Its a very lengthly process. You'll need:

-essential oils (specifically formulated for perfumery)

-synthetic aroma chemicals

-denaturized ethanol

-lab equipment (beakers, pipettes, etc.)

-scales in 1xmg and .1xmg

...you'll also need to research volatility of ingredients (how long they last on the skin, etc.) and a lot of patience.

Alternatively, you can try and track down someone who already makes perfume and have them custom blend something for you (big $$$).

gimmegimme where did you learn about fragrances? very interesting reading :)

at present using skai from the CDG synthetic series six scents

I learned from trial & error mostly...and the rest from being neurotic.

hey im wondering has anyone tried bvlgari black?

cuz i was heard that bvlgari black is real good (sorry for bad english)

i might go down to soho to see if they have

Black is very nice...but definitely not for everyone. It has a heavy "rubber" smell (hence the bottle design), but is truly genius. Definitely not like anything else on the market.

Free samples usually only come from either the manu. directly, or if you buy something (or you go to the mall...).

There are a few places to get samples, The Perfumed Court, Luckyscent, Luscious Cargo (not that reliable currently), Beautyhabit, The Perfume Shoppe (Canada), First in Fragrance (Germany), sometimes on eBay.

I don't really like either...I find the Man a bit more wearable. I find the original to be really cloying. They're both well-crafted, but not for me. I still prefer them both to the original though...that one makes my skin crawl.

Chandler Burr always lays it on really thick...sometimes its a bit sickening. He had a big controversy when he gave The Different Company's Sel de Vetiver to everyone that attended his conferences...just after he gave the same perfume a 5-star review in the Times.

On the topic of CdG, I came across this on TFS.

------------

commesdesgarconcandyrelge2.jpg

image reluct.com

Amsterdam's hottest candy store Papabubble collaborated with Comme des Garçons and invented 'the taste of Comme des Garçons'. A powder candy that matches the parfume perfectly. You get one for free when you purchase a bottle. It's quite an treat for your senses, when you try them simultaneous.

Text reluct.com

---------

I neither hate nor like the smell of CdG2, I'm quite neutral on it. But I really like CdG3. Any other CdG3 fans out there?