Fragrance Thread

gimmegimme

well i dont know anything about scents really, if i run out of a bottle i get a new one at the store that has them. They carry most of the mainstream stuff. Are there any good sites where i can order any of the ones you mentioned from?

As Tang said, they're all at Sephora/department stores, except M+G.

well i dont know anything about scents really, if i run out of a bottle i get a new one at the store that has them. They carry most of the mainstream stuff. Are there any good sites where i can order any of the ones you mentioned from?
may not be the right place to ask, but a while ago I was talking to a school friend of my fathers about becoming a perfumer (he is a perfume consultant to Chanel and some other names that I forget/didn't recognize), because I have a really sharp nose. How do I go about training for this/doing it? I'm actually very interested.

You need to first learn French, then you need to go to the library and get some chem books on perfume, then you need to order a few bottles of essential oils, and aromachemicals, and some SD-Alcohol. I can give you sources for all those if you're interested. There are a few schools of perfumery, but all are located in France. Sometimes you get get a job at one of the big perfume companies (Firmenich, etc.) as a lab tech, and do your best to get in to their in-house training programs. It's all quite complicated, but not impossible.

Any updates on the Six Scents? I hate Toronto...nothing good ever comes here. :(

Reborn is selling them gimme

I got 4 (#1,3,4, and 5) of the samples, #3&4 I like #5 I do not

heres my noob review

Tried #3 (Cosmic Wonder)

initial sniffs from the bottle I def smell the fig leaves, cedar, & coriander

upon contact with skin I smelled the cedarwood and the green grass

drydown on me is mostly the vetiver and hinoki

scent doesn't last very long for me

#4 (Diagonal)

initial sniffs from the bottle I smell the nutmeg and like a sweet wood

upon contact with skin I smelled the dill, black pepper and the tea

drydown on me I have no clue what the hell it is but I like it, its not woodsy but there is a hint of it with like a light musk I think

#5 (Illicit Sex)

initial sniffs from the bottle I smell the rose and pepper

upon contact with skin I smelled the rose with a hint of the bergamot and something bitter

drydown on me is mostly floral but with something in the background which I have no clue what it is

haven't tried #1 yet but so far I like #3&4 probably going to trade #5

Anyone have any experience with Malin + Goetz fragrances? I'm always a little weary of skin/hair care lines that put out fragrances... They're pretty cheap and I was looking at ordering the Synthesized Musk. Would the low price point be worth it just as a simple type of musk scent?

Monsieur gimme, what would you recommend in the lines of musk?

the answer is in the signature right above you

Thanks, I sometimes forget there are other blogs out there. Very helpful. I read the review (surprised there'd be one for that particular brand/fragrance, but there are quite a bit on that page!) and it seems promising and positive.

I wish you could order samples (or rather get free ones), I steadfastly disabuse myself of the idea of purchasing whole bottles blind, but am conflicted with the relatively low price point.

Anyone have any experience with Malin + Goetz fragrances? I'm always a little weary of skin/hair care lines that put out fragrances... They're pretty cheap and I was looking at ordering the Synthesized Musk. Would the low price point be worth it just as a simple type of musk scent?

Monsieur gimme, what would you recommend in the lines of musk?

As jack mentioned, M&G is a great musk, so if you can get it cheap, go for it. Kiehl's is very similar, and usually cheaper, but if I had a choice, I'd go with M&G (their rum tonic is great too...although it doesn't smell of rum).

just bought anvers 2 after really liking the sample i had ordered. if park has samples of six scents i'll definitely try BW and J Scott.

Good pick!

As jack mentioned, M&G is a great musk, so if you can get it cheap, go for it. Kiehl's is very similar, and usually cheaper, but if I had a choice, I'd go with M&G (their rum tonic is great too...although it doesn't smell of rum).

Thanks for the insight, I'll give it a shot.

I did order some musk samples - Musc Ravageur (although I read on your blog it doesn't smell much of musk, unfortunately) and the egregious Muscs Koublai Khan. Both are overpriced and probably wouldn't purchase a bottle, but I'm just curious to see what they're like.

Also ordered samples of L'Artisan's Dzongkha and Timbuktu that I always wanted to try.

Went to Noor today... fragrance overload. Amazing service, very helpful, and very liberal with the samples.

What I really liked.

Nostalgia - Santa Maria Novella

Absolutely unreal. Smells like the inside of a 60's racecar winding down some slope in Italy. Starts off pretty strong with leather, diesel, rubber, and tobacco - but not in an offensive way like some of those CDG fragrances with similar notes. Drys down and still maintains the same mood, but more subtle - woody, a bit musky, and very much like a cigar. Probably going to buy this if someone doesn't get it for me over the holidays!

Blenheim Bouquet - Penhaligon's

A bowl of lemons with peppercorns. Citrus prolonged with some pine notes. Beautiful classic fragrance, made in 1904 or something.

Elixir - Penhaligon's

Just came out apparently, unfortunately no samples, so tried it on the blotter. Very nice, quite eastern - starts out with eucalyptus which is interesting, some very striking spices, with some earthy incense with a subtle citrus in the background.

Did not like:

Sienne L'Hiver - Eau d'Italie

Not really for me, but it was interesting

Gimme, about Elixir, I should add that it's Olivia Giacobetti's take on Hamman Boquet - which I've noticed one of the contributors on your blog didn't like at all. So bear that in mind. It's essentially a fairly drastic re-arrangement of the notes, but with the addition of eucaluptus.

wow, bulgari black has a gasoline note? I am definitely going to try and sample that since I love the smell of gasoline.

Nostalgia has more of a gasoline note; Bvlgari Black is more like rubber. Both are good for automobile lovers, and you should have seen (and heard!) the Ferrari I saw today! ;)

My dear friend has been wearing Angel by Thierry Mugler for something like 11 years straight. I'd like to find her something that smells like Angel but grown up. We're not 17 anymore, and the over the top "chemicalness" of Angel is a bit much in my opinion. She's not a subtle scent person, but I want to think we can do better. There was a nice one by Bond #9, but it was too literally just a nicer version, I'd like something a little more interesting but in the same vein. Any thoughts?

I've had black orchid recommended.

I've since changed my mind about Blenheim Bouquet upon actually wearing it on the skin. Comes out much too much like old man musk on the skin - not so on the blotter paper, mainly the lemons, etc. even after the drydown.

On the plus side, I wore Dzongkha today and that's fabulous.

Gimme, about Elixir, I should add that it's Olivia Giacobetti's take on Hamman Boquet - which I've noticed one of the contributors on your blog didn't like at all. So bear that in mind. It's essentially a fairly drastic re-arrangement of the notes, but with the addition of eucaluptus.

That was my...I'm not a Hammam Bouquet kinda guy I guess. Oh well...none of the Penhaligon's scents really do it for me.

My dear friend has been wearing Angel by Thierry Mugler for something like 11 years straight. I'd like to find her something that smells like Angel but grown up. We're not 17 anymore, and the over the top "chemicalness" of Angel is a bit much in my opinion. She's not a subtle scent person, but I want to think we can do better. There was a nice one by Bond #9, but it was too literally just a nicer version, I'd like something a little more interesting but in the same vein. Any thoughts?

I've had black orchid recommended.

Lolita Lempicka would be my first choice.