Custom your own Top / T-shirt / Tee

Hey hey,

Anyone had a go at designing your own t-shirt?

Like drawing out your design on paper and iron on the prints...stuff like that...

I just got meself some fruit of the loom heavy tees and wanna print some

cool shit on it.

Dabbled a lil but hopefully someone can guide....

If you havent bought the iron-ons yet I would hold off. You get a much better result just cutting out a stencil and using garment paint from art stores. Of course with this method there is more chance of screwing your tee and you may not get as much detail and amount of colours you might like BUT if you do a good job it will look clean.

i have used spraypaint, fabric, dyes, iron ons (both store bought and d.i.y.) old t designs, and silk screens as well as a commercial printer to make t shirts.

go for it.

What you reckon is the best method for (1) hand drawn designs (2) big single colour designs?

Shit ballz.....cheers! that really helped me get better ideas man!

Check this out http://www.stencilrevolution.com/tutorials/

Perfect for one colour prints - shows how to convert your image into a stencil and the best methods of using stencils to print onto tee's.

i think im going to start selling some of the ones ive done up.

forget ironing shit out, that comes off after like two washes and looks horrible, learn to screen print and to use stencils if youre any sort of serious and youll be much better off, its not hard to get the hang of

my very first screen print attempt, done in a 50 minute class period..

DSC01858.jpg

pretty professional/legit looking in my opinion..

How did you make the screen print?

i think im going to start selling some of the ones ive done up.

forget ironing shit out, that comes off after like two washes and looks horrible, learn to screen print and to use stencils if youre any sort of serious and youll be much better off, its not hard to get the hang of

my very first screen print attempt, done in a 50 minute class period..

DSC01858.jpg

pretty professional/legit looking in my opinion..

any art store nearby will have beginner kits you can pick up, i got one and never did anything with it and just learned how in school, but its not too hard

as for getting your design on the screen, theres a few different ways you can do it.

as for me, i first printed the letters, traced them onto sticker paper, cut out the stencil, and stuck it on the screen (just because i wanted the letters perfect, you can free hand whatever you want) then i filled in the letters with stop out glue, removed the stencil, filled the rest of the screen with screen filler, washed out the glue in the letters, and now, all that remains is the outline of "hug life" which is where the ink goes through the screen and makes the print.

viola.

3222007-8.gif

it's a 3/4 sleeve baseball tee. i cut off the sleeves on a white tee and added the grey sleeves and screen the love hurts dagger/rose... i then put it in the washing machine for a non-screened used faded look. looks pretty good, i think. too bad i dont have a better camera.

lol

too many shit t-shirt designer wannabes in the world.. dont try and be another. printing on a stock t shirt is NOT fashion design, its just lame.

I seem to remember that last time you this topic came up, you shot the thread right down.

Not all of us have had the benefit of learning these techniques in school/college so we;re just trying to learn from other's mistakes before diving in a spending money on crappy products.

It might be, "fashion design," but we don't all want to reinvent the wheel (just paint it in our own colours). I don't see TG 76 taking any flak for screening her own shirts so why should we?

I don't think there can ever be, "too many t-shirt designer wannabes in the world," just too many wannabe companies. Perhaps if more people knew how to customise their own shirts (and how simple it can be) then there wouldn't be so many of those lame companies you dislike.

No hate, I just don't think you're being very fair.

I seem to remember that last time you this topic came up, you shot the thread right down.

Not all of us have had the benefit of learning these techniques in school/college so we;re just trying to learn from other's mistakes before diving in a spending money on crappy products.

It might be, "fashion design," but we don't all want to reinvent the wheel (just paint it in our own colours). I don't see TG 76 taking any flak for screening her own shirts so why should we?

I don't think there can ever be, "too many t-shirt designer wannabes in the world," just too many wannabe companies. Perhaps if more people knew how to customise their own shirts (and how simple it can be) then there wouldn't be so many of those lame companies you dislike.

No hate, I just don't think you're being very fair.

yeah i admit it was a bit of a shitty post. however, if people are genuinely interested in process and stuff they should pick up a shirt, look how its applied, get there head round that and then they'll be 1000 times more into it and productive.

actually all i learnt at college was how to print paper, all textile stuff i figured out myself.. if you scroll up this thread i do actually say some constructive stuff how to get it done..

tg doesnt get ripped because shes a hot aussie beehotch. and she can sew for the record.. far better than me most probably! hhaha

@ the guy starting this thread; iron on stuff is pretty nasty, the favourite for tee's by far is screening..

if you want ink to seep in, just use a acrylic and a fabric screen medium (daler system3 is widely available) but thats only for light coloured shirts ie: no white on black etc., it just wont be opaque enough in the right way

if you want it to kinda sit on surface a bit more with a bit of a plastic sheen to it (like t shirts u see retail) then use an ink like pebeo setacolor or... speedball.. something like that

sorry for bein a bit harsh before.. probably just had a shitty day

thstreet

yeah i admit it was a bit of a shitty post. however, if people are genuinely interested in process and stuff they should pick up a shirt, look how its applied, get there head round that and then they'll be 1000 times more into it and productive.

Agreed. +Rep for your genuinely informative post and for accepting criticism and respondly in such a courteous manner. Fair does like, you showed yourself to be a gentleman.

Even if the dude is only a little closer to printing, at least now he knows to bypass that nasty iron-on stuff (apologies to baladoongdoong if you are not, in fact, a he - just assumed).

hey, no offense taken.

you're probably right about that iron on thing but atm, all im doing is to see how

il do in customising my own tees. only lookin at possible future of selling if

it turns out succesful.

And, though fruit of the loom heavy duty tees are good, it cant beat stuff

like maharishi's tee material and all.

anyone knows how they make them so nice and tough? does not warp...

actually all i learnt at college was how to print paper, all textile stuff i figured out myself.. if you scroll up this thread i do actually say some constructive stuff how to get it done..

tg doesnt get ripped because shes a hot aussie beehotch. and she can sew for the record.. far better than me most probably! hhaha

@ the guy starting this thread; iron on stuff is pretty nasty, the favourite for tee's by far is screening..

if you want ink to seep in, just use a acrylic and a fabric screen medium (daler system3 is widely available) but thats only for light coloured shirts ie: no white on black etc., it just wont be opaque enough in the right way

if you want it to kinda sit on surface a bit more with a bit of a plastic sheen to it (like t shirts u see retail) then use an ink like pebeo setacolor or... speedball.. something like that

sorry for bein a bit harsh before.. probably just had a shitty day

thstreet