what are you eating today?

soepom

everytime i look at this thread i am more and more convinced that i really need to stopover in the land of lah in january

yesterday

breakfast

porridge made with coconut and vanilla soy topped with fresh fruits

black coffee

.. while i was sitting outside eatting it a dude pulled up on a 4 wheel bike and i got to say "are you the farmer?",, great start to the day.

lunch

salmon on spelt bread with capers and a sqeeze of lime

dinner

spaggetti and meat balls (pork) with tomato & mushroom sauce

today

dunno yet

On Wednesday I experienced a night of culinary indulgence never to be forgotton. Held at Galileo restaurant at the Observatory Hotel, the Iron Chef 2007 Dinner was the meal of my dreams. If you're a fan like myself, an interactive experience with these culinary gods is too good to pass up!

IronChef2007.jpg

Chen Kenichi (Iron Chef Chinese), Harunobu Inukai (Head Chef of Galileo), Hiroyuki Sakai (Iron Chef French).

1918025808_fbe9b36a88.jpg

Welcome Cocktail - Champagne Chamborn made with Nv Pol Roger 'White Foil', Epernay, Champagne. Deliciously sweet and very refreshing.

1917202413_a44785ccbd.jpg

Canapes.

Chef Sakai offers Soupe a l'Ail avec Gelee de Gazpacho, a tomato based soup with a thin layer of capsicum and a creamy bottom. The Mousse de Saumon is wonderfully rich and melts in your mouth with the buttery toast.

Chef Chen offers Braised Carp with Chilli Sauce in it's own little spoon, the complex flavour and touch of spiciness leaves you wanting more. The Sesame Infused Cold Steamed Chicken is cooked to perfection with the tender chicken contrasting well with the nutty sesame sauce and textured jellyfish.

Chef Haru offers Zucchini Flower with Calamari, lightly battered in the shape of a bird, as well a most tasty morsel of Quail Confit.

The matching wine is NV Larmandier-Bernier Blanc de Blancs Brut, 1er Cru, Vertus, Champagne.

1918040982_83db3aed62.jpg

Chef Sakai offers Crepe D'Oursin et Fume de Thon, Sabayon au Curry, with a matching 2005 Robert Weil Riesling Kabinett 'Trocken', Rheingau, Germany.

A firm but juicy asparagus sits pointing towards the mild sabayon curry. The tuna sits on an intriguing green sauce, topped off with a textured mixture of chopped cucumber. The sea urchin crepe with mushrooms brings a new meaning to 'melt in your mouth' as the voloptuous textures linger.

1917219427_9122731f03.jpg

Chef Chen offers Foie Gras Flan, King Crab Soup and Kinugasa Mushroom, matched with 2004 Vinoptima Gewurztraminer, Gisborne, NZ.

Placed in a deceptively simple coffee cup, this soup is indescribable. The flavour is so complexly wonderful I can only describe as experiencing tippling waves of delight straight from the gods. A rich soup with the flavour of crab roe, the pleasing texture of the custard like foie gras, topped off by the legendary kinugasa mushroom.

1918067514_3656de6d90.jpg

Chef Haru offers Papillote of Lobster with Saffron Pasta, matched with 2005 Tyrrell's 'Vat 47' Chardonnay, Hunter Valley NSW.

The firm lobster tail contrasts well with the soft and silky rich saffron pasta, and brings a warm feeling to the body.

1918075048_9629d56554.jpg

Chef Sakai offers Noisettes D'Agneau en Croute Maria Callas, matched with a 'Mystery' Australian wine.

The lamb wrapped in omentum is cooked to tender perfection, and combined with the rich flavours of foie gras, chicken and mushroom sausage. The beautiful delicate richness of this dish is almost overwhelming, and I can see why this could be a favourite of an opera singer like Maria Callas.

1917251259_ca5d574931.jpg

Chef Chen offers Mabou Tofu a la Chen, matched with 2005 Cascabel 'Tipico' Grenache/Monastrell/Shiraz, Mclaren Vale, SA.

We watch Chen cook this dish together with one lucky diner chosen from the floor. This Mabou Tofu is unlike any I have tasted. It is rich and so complexly flavoursome with a kick of spiciness that leaves your tastebuds tingling as though they are wriggling for more.

1917258069_42f08fcd75.jpg

1918094200_e0ab83f398.jpg

Chef Haru offers Spicy Pineapple and White Chocolate Ginger Ice Cream with Tropical Pannacotta, matched with 2004 Jurancaon 'Uroulat' Petit Manseng, Charles Hours, South-West France.

Uniquely presented, the pannacotta is fruity and the sweetness is not overpowering, and the crisp biscuit snaps with authority. The spicy pineapple is juicy and is cleansing while the ginger ice cream strikes a perfect balance.

Getting watch the chefs in action, and to meet them afterwards was truly an experience. It was a delight to see the chefs in their element and how infectiously cheeky Chen was in the relaxed atmosphere. All in all, a night to remember!

^ yes, hoegaarden is niiiice. but i love erdinger and kilkenny. and koparberg pear cider...

at work last night:

wayet1112bll3.jpg

grilled portabello mushroom salad

wayet1112afl8.jpg

grilled salmon

wayet1112cyb6.jpg

lamb rack with potato mosaic

lunch at home today:

wayet1113aog4.jpg

wayet1113bng2.jpg

claypot chicken rice with chinese sausages

friend's dad made us some otak-otak

wayet1113ccr1.jpg

wayet1113drq9.jpg

essentially steamed/baked fish cake made from fish, prawn and chilli paste wrapped in banana leaf

wayet1113exf8.jpg

lemongrass honey drink

bubble tea with my best girl friend:

wayet1113flw3.jpg

champagne grape red tea + pearl

dinner on the superboyfriend:

wayet1113gsq3.jpg

lychee sage freeze, chinese chicken caesar salad

wayet1113hzx1.jpg

watermelon mint freeze, cream of shitake mushroom, potato leek and ham stew

wayet1113isi2.jpg

basil and pesto chicken, chorizo sausage and baked pork thing...

wayet1113jmz1.jpg

southern red velvet cake (? can't remember the name but it's been posted here before - and was the only reason i realised this was the much alluded to joint)

whizkit + plongin - seems like we stumbled on the "secret" place all on our own afterall!