What jean will yield the best wear pattern?

holmcross

I diden't know if this should go in the "this or that" post, but I figured I would take a chance.

I had my eye on the Ironheart 21oz for quite some time now, but I was told that they don't yield wear patterns as much as some of the other jeans due to a silicone coating over the denim. Can anyone confirm this?

If what I was told about the Ironhearts is true, then I think I would lean towards a pair of Nudies or Samurais. Or, is there something else that I'm missing?

I guess what I'm looking for is a jean that has a unique look to it (stiching / embroidery) produces a pretty clear wear pattern. Any suggestions?

If this belongs in the this or that post, please move it over there =)

Cheers

i would personally avoid Nudies...i mean theyre very easy to break in but ive never really been impressed with the fade and def not impressed with mien that i wore for a good 6-7 months. I have however never been disssapointed by APC's...every APC's i've seen look pretty nice and they break in well.

i would look through some of the Before/After thread and you'll get a good idea of what kinda fade you like and what not. good luck.

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=20161

yeah ive been wearing my ironhearts for about 5 months, first 3 months on and off... they wear really slowly.. like.. i'm just starting to see hints of fades now, and that's around the wallet back pocket and stacks around my feet.

other than that, i could probably iron em out and sell them as new haha.

The Iron Heart 21 oz denim will be AMAZING after a long hard wear. I can already see the color differences on mine with only 6 weeks of wear. I read somewhere that Flat Heads also give good wear pattern.

Guest jeffvyain

Most any of the jeans discussed here have the ability to produce a good wear pattern, but if that's your deciding factor, i would shy away from the super-slubbies (eg PBJ and Oni). If the cuts suit you, I would personally be looking at some SD 103s. I haven't seen a bad pair of those.

Here at the Edge we've never seen fading like on the Flat Heads..

They fade fast and there's massive amounts of vertical fading.

It's almost unreal how quickly they start to look broken in, almost like very day there's progress on the fading. If you're looking for quick fading and almost instant gratificatin then go for Flat Head denim, i've never seen anything break in so quick in terms of indigo loss..

Kiya, does all this add up to quick deterioration too? From my experience, quick fading means quick destruction.

to tell the truth, since ive only had mine for about two months now, i cant give a longterm update...but other than that, ive skated these, snowboarded, biked, ran, all sorts of things, and these things are built to last. only actual damage ive had is from trying to put an open pocket knife in my pocket (ripped a little bit of the front pocket material) and the arcuate ripping up because ive got buttons on my wallet. amazing jeans, very reccommended

Kiya, does all this add up to quick deterioration too? From my experience, quick fading means quick destruction.

in my experience it's difficult to differentiate between pairs that are just fading quickly, and pairs that are flimsy in their quality. If a part of the denim is faded, it means that it's been scraped enough to take off some dye. If it's busted, it means it's been scraped enough to actually break the fabric. So I wouldn't say the two are mutually exclusive, but there are cases where the dying method will cause the dye to scrape off easily, even when the integrity of the fabric isn't being compromised.

I'll echo the above sentiments - they are solid jeans.

if the instant gratification factor is brought in, i'm surprised no one has mentioned skulls yet. Those 6x6 ones that have been making the rounds in the evo thread are amazing for such little time. Calvin oscar in particular has an awesome pair. I guess i've never seen a pair of flatheads beat to shit yet, and will have to wait to see a pair to make my final decision about those vs. the skulls.

and to 2nd the notion above as well, if you want a really high contrast fade, I'd stay away from the slubby stuff all together and just get the APC/Nudies stuff. The slubby stuff for me at least tends to be a more even uniform fade..which i like better

to tell the truth, since ive only had mine for about two months now, i cant give a longterm update...but other than that, ive skated these, snowboarded, biked, ran, all sorts of things, and these things are built to last. only actual damage ive had is from trying to put an open pocket knife in my pocket (ripped a little bit of the front pocket material) and the arcuate ripping up because ive got buttons on my wallet. amazing jeans, very reccommended

Which jeans are you talking about, the Iron Hearts? Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

tweedles is right. just find the best pair in terms of quality, and wear the shit outta 'em. jacob davis invented jeans primarily for function over form. the customer who kept ripping off the pockets had a better "fade" than we can imagine, and it was unintentional. lets stop being ocd about stupid shit, and get to the essence.

But at the same time, it should be important to note that certain brands just do not fade well. For instance, I have never seen a decent pair of R&B's or a 'sharply' faded 5EP. These are things which the buyer has the right to know. That being said, skating, biking, hiking, horseback riding through the desert and running from the cops on a regular basis seem to yeild the best fade patterns.