how bad are birkenstocks??? v. ineednewsandals

kiz

the sandals i have are getting pretty beat up and i'm looking for something fashionable but very comfortable. i know birkenstocks aren't exactly on the cutting edge of fashion, but are they THAT much of a faux pas? do you guys have other suggestions that would work well with my APC rescues that i'll be wearing all summer?

In my humble opinion, if you like birks, then buy them. There is a reason they are so popular, they are a GREAT sandal. If the tag on the shoe (or lack of a tag) is what your seeking, then you're clearly trying too hard or missing the point.

there are people who merely mean to wear clothes, people who set styles, and fashion whores.

those that wear clothes just buy whatever is cheapest/cutest within a budget, usually shop at malls, and run with whatever the media feeds them.

those that set style buy whatever they like, and what fit's their "type" or "style" on that given day/week/season. American Eagle or Dior, (usually a bit of both), they simply wear what works for what they are going for. They cut through the hype and the media to form something they enjoy.

Those that are fashion whores buy name brands, sacrifice "style" to follow the newest trend, and in turn suffer from constantly having a wardrobe that is falling off or looking awful, over-labeled and/or definately forced in their look.

I like birkenstocks. They look great with my lucky flares and my straight leg rogans. I usually rock them with one of my brand's shirts or a vintage tee. On a night out in the summer or early fall, maybe a light woven sweater or a polo. It's not what's in style, it's what is me. Don't fall victim.

EXACTLY!

Birks are the shit... I'm the only one in my crew with the nuts to wear them but who gives a piss.

They are the gold standard in sandals. Everthing else derives from them.

& if Ian Brown or Beckham (who both probably wear them) or some other so called fashion God was caught wearing them there'd be a fucking 10 page thread on superfuture.

I personally am glad there isn't & will be pissed in the next couple years when they get big again & I start to see supposed "cool" people in them & then of course the masses will follow.

I love that nobody is messing with them right now & hope it stays that way.

I was actually proud of you for bringing it up but now you're gonna cower because some nameless faceless you don't really know what their taste is people on superfuture have balked at the idea.

Be a maverick, get some damn Birkenstocks... Or not & keep me happy!

Strong post BTW SongAngel...

-Dub

birkos are nice. if you do wear them, please refrain from any asortment of hosiery, especially the ones w/ christmas prints. i had a pair long ago, then found some tommy bahama that i've been wearing for the last few summers. maybe time for birkos again now that they're not the rage anymore. good times, good times...

I'm with Serge- Rainbows are where its at. I've had reef's before, and they just weren't as comfortable. Rainbows are like 40ish and they are nice looking leather.

Kiz

Most very lame options!

Although Adialette's & Reef's are both excellent but probably not what you're trying to accomplish.

& I don't think you were asking about flip flops?

Most of what SongAngel & I were saying was most likely lost on 90% of these superchumps.

5/6 years ago these clowns probably had to be sold on Dunks & more recently the 10 page APC thread has them reconsidering their Evisus & Paper Denims... If they're scurr'd of sandals & they're men, most likely their dicks are small?

Sandals = Birks

I now digress though... Good luck

-Dub

There is definately a lack of alternatives being presented here. I can't wear a "flip flop" ever, hands down the most uncompfortable thing I've ever had on my foot, next to Nike's zoom FC.

Doc Martin does a very "bulky" sandal that looks great with full blue denims, not nearly as nice as a thinned out Birk but can work.

I will simply re-state, there is no alternative for what you want. Birk is a great brand because they create great goods.

hahaha @ the socks. there are two guys in my school that wear sandals with socks and i always poke fun at them for it because it looks so dumb. Serge, i REALLY like those sandals and i think i'm going to pick up a pair as soon as i can. thanks icon_smile_big.gif

Serge I've got flip flops for days (rainbow, cobian, reef, blah blah blah, I'm a footwear freak so if they're out there I own them) so I get it (although only with shorts bacause every freakin' body wears flops with jeans)

I just thought Birks would be a nice against the grain move on kiz's part. I love that I'm one of the only chumps rockin' em right now though so all good. Go kiz... Just don't let the jeans that are "dragging" be sevens or papar denims or something... then your just over the top cliche!

-Dub