Socal Meetup

soraanaam

have anyone been to marios the peruvian restaurant. its on melrose and pretty near to the bape store. beef strips + french fries = genius. cheap too

multiple times.

never dissapointed after a meal there...

I know you dudes like to eat out at meet-ups...recommend me a VERY good place for Japanese curry. I've been going around and been dissatisfied, Hurry Curry does the trick and is my go-to place, but I want me some other options.

:3

Jap curry is one of those comfort foods that I can't really separate good from excellent because it's always completely mediocre to me.

All I know is that you shouldn't bother with going to House Curry (little tokyo).

I suggest you check out Blue Marlin in West-L.A.'s Little Tokyo area on Sawtelle just north of Olympic. I always liked the simple (and pretty hot if you request it) curry they present. I've tried alot of other curry places and this is the only one that also offers garnishes on the side like pickled baby onions and pimento. I usually show people to the place because it's near alot of stores and other restaurants... also right next to it is Hurry Curry... you can compare and see if you can really differentiate the curry you get there. One plus in hurry curry is they've got some (fairly priced) lychee sake martinis.

^ seriously would rather do that with a bunch of friends... it's a waste of money to go out on a friendly night and ruin it at a curry place... hahaha I'm now also reminded about the kareoke place near the curry places on sawtelle. It's kinda funny but I found my friends dragging me to the kareoke place right after eating curry. If anything it made for a memorably badtastic night.

^ seriously would rather do that with a bunch of friends... it's a waste of money to go out on a friendly night and ruin it at a curry place... hahaha I'm now also reminded about the kareoke place near the curry places on sawtelle. It's kinda funny but I found my friends dragging me to the kareoke place right after eating curry. If anything it made for a memorably badtastic night.

There are two main karaoke places on that stretch of Sawtelle and one of them is INSANE. It's either secretly a brothel/hostess bar or a yakuza operation front, I swear. Shit costs $1 per song to SING karaoke, you pay a 'snack charge' even if you don't want a snack, there is a per person minimum on drinks and they have a sign that specifically states that you are allowed to smoke inside. Oh yeah; all the bar maids are really quiet 20 year old Japanese girls who barely speak English.

I'm guessing why that place actually can still stay open... it's because of all the otaku and just plain asiaphile rich students and yuppies that are from and around Westwood/UCLA/SantaMonica.

Curry House...ugh...that place bothers me - from the cold curry, to the dark meat chicken and communal pickle jar.

Mas, I'll have to try Blue Marlin out, I always look out for the amount of heat and (fresh) garnishes when I decide for curry.

There are two main karaoke places on that stretch of Sawtelle and one of them is INSANE. It's either secretly a brothel/hostess bar or a yakuza operation front, I swear. Shit costs $1 per song to SING karaoke, you pay a 'snack charge' even if you don't want a snack, there is a per person minimum on drinks and they have a sign that specifically states that you are allowed to smoke inside. Oh yeah; all the bar maids are really quiet 20 year old Japanese girls who barely speak English.

which one is this.the one on the street or the one in the little shopping mall?

The shopping mall one has private rooms and is far from crazy.

Gardena has some great Japanese food.

agreed. food in little tokyo is pretty bad, sawtelle might be slightly better, but gardena/torrance is where it's at if you want good japanese food, on the whole.

(thanks for recommending hakata, man.)

heeellllpp

sorry i know ive already asked but...

this place?

http://www.wotif.com/hotel/View?hotel=W17897&page=1&viewType=weekends

or

http://www.wotif.com/hotel/View?hotel=T8102&page=1&viewType=weekends

or ?????

i really dont have a clue about anything in the us, am i even looking in the right neighbourhood? i dont want anything fancy, its not like ill even spend time there just want something with a door that locks..

Neither! If you're absolutely set on staying downtown (I'd still urge you to reconsider), there are still hotels in much better locations downtown to look into that are under or around $150; problem is that you are coming on a busy weekend, so rates are probably up across the board.

I like how the first hotel link suggests the 'top 10' attractions to see in LA (don't get me wrong, half of them are not worth seeing), absolutely none of which are even within a 20 minute drive from the hotel:

Top 10 Must See Local Attractions:

Rodeo Drive

Museum Row

The Getty Center

Santa Monica

Downtown LA/Beverly Hills

Hollywood

Melrose Avenue

Museum of Television & Radio

Disneyland

Universal Studios

If you stay in either of these places and you don't have a car, seeing the rest of the city will either involve literally hundreds of dollars in cab fares or unbelievable patience as you will be riding the bus for hours on end.

PM Sent.....

Getty Center is nice.

In terms of 'scenic', I'd have to say that one of my favorites is (which is pretty much, in my experience, completely unknown to tourists):

http://www.greystonemansion.org/

It's now a public park and is open 7 days a week until 5 PM. Interesting history.

Hiking in Malibu can be dope. You can get some great ocean views, etc at the top of certain trails.

GETTY CENTER lS WORTH lT.

Walking along Sunset blvd in West Hollywood area and you'll see some really scenic spots along the hillside (depends on where you get access, some is private property and some are neighborhoods I think)... Greystone park with the mansion that england mentioned is also near this area.

Also have a variety of spots rooftop to access like the Hanmi building in Ktown (strange place but awesome view), The Standard bar and Bonaventure Bonavista spinny thing are the one's I've gone to... here's a few other listed ones I haven't seen: http://losangeles.citysearch.com/roundup/40894

back to the getty:

It's free, but several times I would gladly pay for all the events they've held there (those are all usually free too... check their website calendar).

MIS while you're there I suggest you check out the Hammer museum in westwood/wilshire also it's great and free to everyone on thursday.

Tg, here's an okay place to stay in Westwood... I've walked around it alot, safe neighborhood and near alot of restaurants and museums like getty and only 10 minute bus/cab to Rodeo.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/hilgard-house-hotel-and-suites-los-angeles