Goretex Denim

wEstSidE

This is spawned in part by the mention of Edwin making gore-tex lined denim in the Snowboarding in Denim thread. Does anyone else know other companies who do this? I saw on honeyee that Kaws is making Original Fake's denim goretex lined. I'm somewhat interested in this.

haha really?

its not hard, you can put goretex on nearly any fabric. It has nothing to do with nylon or polyester or anything. Its just a rubbery membrane which is bonded under the fabric.

Usually manufacturers avoid cotton because the cotton itself will still absorb water, even if it doesnt go through. It would probably be waterlogged, and yet impervious....

I think putting gortex onto cotton isnt the best idea ever, you really ought to put it onto something that doesnt absorb water and is a bit more breathable. There is a cotton fabric called ventile, its a fine, very tight weave of cotton, so much so that when water hits it, the cotton fibres expand and so fill up the holes in the weave and so the fabric becomes waterproof, good stuff, people have climbed everest in it ( years ago ), I wouldnt mind a ventile M65, havent seen one yet. But yeah Ill imagine you could make ventile pants, although they might not be denim.

i thought gore-tex was breathable.

tell me more about this ventile shit? it sounds like awesome material for a jacket.

Gore-tex is breathable, but not nearly as breathable as a non-waterproof fabric would be. Almost all gore-tex garments still need venting options like zippers under the arms, etc. Side note - gore-tex is the proprietary membrane used either underthe fabric or between layers of it...not the actual fabric itself. There are hundreds of different fabrics that license gore-tex's technology, including some that Gore (the company) produces.

There are several other variations of gore-tex, like eVent, which is a direct-venting technology that allegedly surpases gore-tex's breathability. I'm not familiar with Ventile, but it sounds similar...using the weave of the fabric as opposed to coating it.

In either case, waterproof jeans sound kinda cool...but inevitably clammy feelings will accompany it.

if anybody is interested in water- / windproof cotton check: http://www.nextec.com/thetech/amphibious_cotton.php

that's the cotton Acronym lightshells are made of.

that stuf is awesome...got in heavy rain the other day ...no problem- wind? same!

That's the sister-brand to eVent that I was mentioning...thanks for figuring out what its actually called!

There's extensive information on this topic on www.backpackinglight.com. That's where I read about the nextec cotton getting bad reviews. Also a good website if anyone's into camping...hopefully not in jeans though. ;)

Goretex is pretty breathable as waterproof fabrics go but if your working hard and its raining hard you can still soak the inside with sweat, Im a outdoors kinda guy into walking and biking in britain, and goetex is really put through its paces, as a waterproof fabric its great, but not as breathable as merino or cashmere etc....

Cotton isnt as breathable as these either, one way to really undermine a £300 goretex is to wear a cotton shirt underneath that and your polartek or whatever, cotton breaths up to a point but then it get wet and your get that cold sweat shiver.

What with softshells and what not I think people are starting to substitute absolute waterproofing for more breathability so you can be more comfortable and still stay dry in 90% of conditions.

The best way and the cheapest way to feel more comforable is to invest in good baselayers, merino or silk or a manmade fabric are more breathable than cotton, because there is no point fretting about sympatex or pertx or goretex breathability if your sweat vapours cant get past your vest. I dont think ventile is the most breathable fabric out there, but its interesting and cotton ( which I allways prefer to man made fabrics for some reason ) and has been up and down everest a few times without fail.

When I go to london for a day, I often wear a merino t shirt under a cashmere top, warm and breathable and much more comfortable than cotton what with sweating on tubes and getting cold, and cold sweats, and marching around in the cold before going into hot cafes etc etc etc

howies ventile -

http://www.howies.co.uk/content.php?xId=11

cant find a wikipedia entry on it, pah!

hmm i'm really satisfied with my acronym jacket made out of nextec

Is it a cotton nextec fabric? That what I was referring to when I mentioned the bad-wrap. I have a tent made out of nextec that I'm very happy with.

I made a mistake earlier when I mentioned eVent as Nextec's other product...I meant to say Epic..my bad! Epic is a great material, and what most garments are made of that license Nextec products. It was just the cotton amphibious products that got the crappy reviews...keeping in mind that they weren't worn for everyday tasks, but wilderness & backcountry living.

vexed generation worked with goretex and came up with a bunch of denim designs and jackets aimed more at urban dwellers than outdoor users. they also produced a range of functional basic baselayers made in Morino and cashmere.

These days they're more known for their work with Puma but their own collections are pretty directional - the denim designs don't follow traditional patterns and the jackets are very, ummm, directional, but I have a bunch and they are simply beyond durable.

take a look:

www.vexed.co.uk

Sessions is doing a goretex denim jacket and pants for Winter 08. I was looking at the catalogue yesterday and they're definitely doing at least 1 of each, there might have been more. The pants are done to look (somewhat) like a pair of jeans too. There's a little coinpocket on the upper right. Its a nice touch.

Some other pretty sweet stuff in the catalogue too. I'm going to have a tough time picking which to get!

• 4 months later...