Selfedge in Details

LA Guy

#1 denim store in america. thats little far fetch, how about BIG?

Probably cuz BiG caters to pretty much one audience, us. Self Edge also has stuff like Nudie and Imperial, Sling & Stones, etc...

As much as I hate to put a damper on this wonderful news for SE, I honestly cannot believe that BiG is capable of losing to anyone. Gordon and co. have an ocd-like attention to details and will bend so far backwards for their customers that I can't imagine anyone could match it. Also, they carry almost all of the same brands, right? I mean there's an Eternal here, and a Flat Head there, but damn similar in that respect. What did the magazine say were the deciding factors?

Thanks so much to all those congratulating us.

To those wondering about how they chose these three stores, i have no clue. I am honored to be in the same ranks as Mauro from the Denim Bar and Gordon from BiG.

All three of us are doing our best to push denim to the next level in terms of service and bringing hard to find denim to the American market. Once again, thanks for the support.

We love you back.

I haven't bought anything from either but Gordon's customer service was great. He called me after hours (it's a 5hr time difference) and took the time to educate me for close to 30mins. He knew from the start that I probably wasn't going to buy anything since he didn't have quite what I was looking for but still took the time to chat.

I'm in NYC so I've never been to Self Edge. But every time I go to BiG I learn something new, fascinating, and obscure about denim, history, weaving, cutting, sizing, die-ing, stitching, buttons, arcuate patterns, thread, you name it. It's like going to graduate school in my favorite subject. It's the perfect haven for the denimhead - their attention to detail and service ethic keep me going back and back.

I'm trying to bug Gordon to have a BiG party!

I've still never been to SelfEdge, despite having moved back to SF over 6 months ago. I just never have the cash that I know I'd want to drop there, so I'm afraid to go. Maybe I'll leave my credit card at home one day and just go check it out.

Give me a month though, and I'll be by for some Flatheads. Anyway, congrats Kiya!

I don't want to get into a pissing contest in a wind storm. But, if BiG isn't number two I can't put much stock in the list.

Haha, I was thinking that too, but didn't know how to say it without coming off as a jerk. Free chainstiching on the Union Special, c'mon.. that's gotta be worthy of first place right there! Although I have never been to Self Edge, there is no doubt that it's an awesome place run by a stand up dude, working his hardest to bring us the denim that we all desire. But everytime I read an article claiming that they are the only store to sell Samurai and the likes, it bothers me just a bit. I can't help but feel like Blue in Green keeps getting shafted.

Maybe I'm thinking too heavily into this. Congrats to Kiya, Gordon, and Mauro!

No idea how this is ranked, but at least I feel they got three great stores. I don't think you need to worry about another lawsuit because no one will be shipping the questionable things Levi’s wise. Besides that the next few weeks will be crazy for us at Self Edge with new stock.

Excellent work Edgers, BiGs & D-Bar! When are you guys starting a 3 pronged American selvage line? That would be ace.

That would be cool. Actually, I don't know about Blue in Green, but Kiya is already doing collabs with Ironheart, Imperial and Sugarcane, for stuff that is dropping shortly, and Mauro and I are working with 5EP and Denimbar (so, it's 5EPxStyleforum at Denimbar) on a special low slim straight cut that will be coming out for FW07.

Warning - blatant self promotion, but they will be carried at Oak NYC, Denimbar, as well as from 5EP directly, and well, me, with a few pairs at Uncle Otis for TO people to check out as well.

other than BIG, Selfedge and Denim Bar, no other denim stores or stores that sell denim exist to me. hahaha so i think they got it right, but yeah, gordon from BIG is crazy. dude has called me back within 10 minutes midnight California time before, So dude must have read my email round 3 AM on a weekday night!

And Selfedge is the spot for sure. Nice job Kiya!