Living high in Amsterdam

AgentRed

Hey Everyone

I'm heading to Amsterdam for a few days in March and wondered if anyone could recommend cool places to party/eat/drink/chill. From the superfuture lists I have Japanese omlettes on my agenda, but I was looking less for shops and more for ways to spend time. So what's the best ice cream in the city, or the best coffee, which bar mixes the best cocktails and which club has the prettiest girls, is there a shady joint I HAVE to visit/avoid?

-Agent Red

Hey Everyone

I'm heading to Amsterdam for a few days in March and wondered if anyone could recommend cool places to party/eat/drink/chill. From the superfuture lists I have Japanese omlettes on my agenda, but I was looking less for shops and more for ways to spend time. So what's the best ice cream in the city, or the best coffee, which bar mixes the best cocktails and which club has the prettiest girls, is there a shady joint I HAVE to visit/avoid?

-Agent Red

I heard Search Function is where it's at.

Best ice cream and coffee: Tofani (Kloveniersburgwal) where it's nice to sit outside at night if the weather permits and watch the poeple walk by. Other notable addresses are Venetie (Scheldestraat) and Pisa (Scheldeplein) that are considered the best ice cream in the city. However the latter two are quite out of the way (RAI area) and I wonder if tourists would be willing to go that much out of their way just for some ice cream. I'm not going to mention Ben & Jerry's, Australian Homemade and Haagen Dasz because you will probably find them anyway (prime locations).

Cocktails: Bars ARC (Reguliersdwarsstraat) and Lime (Zeedijk) serve great cocktails. NOA (Leidsegracht) and Di Gioia (Korte Leidse Dwarsstraat) are good places for a bite and a cocktail as well.

If you want to hang out with Dutch celebrities and footballers, visit Palladium, Jimmy Woo, The Mansion and restaurants Chang-i and Cinema Paradiso. Not very stylish (anymore) unless you like to show off your black Armani shirt and your bottle of Moet - you probably know what I mean.

The ultra cool kids hang out parties called UNK and Penis in Vagina, both in Club 8.

09.jpg

13.jpg

Also, Fashion Radio at Studio 80. Keep an eye out for parties at Pakhuis Wilhelmina, a squatted building at the old docks where DJ Lava throws his occasional Flush-It night. Not as cool as last year, but still decent: Acid Nouveau and RAUW, both at 11. Paradiso is legendary in itself and offers everything from punk concerts to poetry readings and from acid techno parties to pro-P2P speeches by Chuck D. Keep an eye on their agenda.

Edit: almost forgot to mention Flex Bar. A bit out of the way (Westergasfabriek area) but recently opened and quite the hotspot with nice undergroundish line-ups. This will be the place to be on the 9th of march when PiV will throw a bash.

On a hiphop tip: check out thursday nights at Jimmy Woo, not very underground but a nicely mixed crowd (bit flashy and overdone). The self-proclaimed 'real' hiphop and neo-soul heads go to Bitterzoet which attracts a more up-to-date and laid-back crowd. Paradiso has a monthly hip hop night on saturdays called Bassline - younger crowds but legendary at times. Appelsap throws good parties, but they're not doing anything soon. Ask the crew at PATTA where to go and what not to miss and grab a new pair of limited edition sneakers while you're there.

Other noteworthy bars are Weber, Lux and Kamer 401 (Marnixstraat), BEP (Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal), Waldorf (Lindengracht), Finch (Noordermarkt).

Shops are too many to mention. What's your budget and style?

Now please tell me where I can get the best Japanese omelettes?

Arite! Got it got it got it. These clubs sound awesome:

Club 8

Pakhuis Wilhelmina.

Paradiso

Is there anything happening on the... 25th till the 29th? I'll check each one's website closer to the time but lemme know if you hear something through the grapevine. Flex Bar eh....

I will definitely go to Tofani, Venetie and Pisa (There's no such thing as too far in the pursuit of ice creamyness)

<quote> Cocktails: Bars ARC (Reguliersdwarsstraat) and Lime (Zeedijk) serve great cocktails. NOA (Leidsegracht) and Di Gioia (Korte Leidse Dwarsstraat) are good places for a bite and a cocktail as well. <quote>

You're gonna need to tell me more about the cocktail bars, I'm thinking trendy as hell, pricy and chilled. Do they make good white russians in Amsterdam?

More dutch celebrity information please! Which bars does everyone go to now? I search Amsterdam and get recommendations from four years ago, I heard supper club (for example) isn't doing so well anymore. And the search function offers masses of unrelated information which, though useful, pales in comparison to tisswat's brand of local kung foo.

I'll stop in to PATTA. Shop wise I'd love to check out local designers, the international brands I can find anywhere but if there's anyone making small runs of luxe products that would be awesome.

The eponymous pancakes at Japanese Pancake World look pretty deelish, any other recommendations on food? I hate restaurants, but if it's weird I'm there :D

Thanks for all your help, keep the recon coming!

definetly hit up maoz vegetarian (falafel) it is the best...don't let anyone tell you otherwise...and...are you a smoker? if so, say so. there are quite a few great places to need to check out not filled with a bunch tourists doing their thing...if you are really into it you must check out sarasani (world's first "coffeshop") in nearby Utrecht...obigatory i dare say.

Cocktails at Lime will set you back around 6 or 7 euros a piece. Bar ARC should be a bit more expensive.

If you like weird restaurants, you might want to consider Hotel de Goudfazant, Nomads (Rozengracht), Pont 13, Supperclub restaurant, Canalclub and Einde van de Wereld. 11 is a restaurant as well and a great view but mediocre food.

Ask me again later what's on during the last week of march.

For local celebrities, go to club Jimmy Woo on a saturday night and visit the addresses I mentioned earlier. I wonder if you will you even recognize them though. ;)

For local designers and limited collections, I would recommend the entire "9 straatjes" area.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi AR, glad you could make it. :) Unfortunately I'm out of town at the moment for work, so I'm not really up to date on any exciting stuff happening this week. I believe Bitterzoet is celebrating its 4-year anniversary this weekend, which will be going off big time. Sugar Factory turns two this friday. And I'm afraid you missed the last PiV party at Club 8 last friday. There's also a bunch of interesting concerts this week (Method Man, Air, Big Daddy Kane and the Sunshine Underground) in the Melkweg, but I'm not sure if you can still get tickets. Club NL used to be packed with hotties on wednesdays, but it's been a while since I've been. So.. I guess I can't really help you out a lot in the party/clubbing department, sorry about that.

On the other hand, you're very lucky with the weather.. the city is so much nicer when the sun shines. Have you been to the Vondelpark? Go for coffee at Blaauwe Theehuis situated right in the middle of the park. Lots of local celebrities there on a sunny day and a very nice place to chill out (or wake up).

I'm not very sure if every single one of these places are open for breakfast as I usually have lunch here, but I think most are open early:

De Bakkerswinkel (Warmoesstraat 69) - a local favorite for decades (hi mum!), nice breakfast (08:00 till ??). They opened a new Bakkerwinkel in the Westerpark recently, but it might be a bit out of your way. Nice quiet surroundings there though.

11 (Oosterdokskade) - pretty decent lunch (no breakfast I think) and awesome view over the city from the 11th floor of the old Post CS building

Buffet van Odette (Herengracht 309) - arguably the best sandwiches in town, opens at 08:30 in the morning

Tisfris - they def serve breakfast here, right next to the Rembrandt house/museum. Honorable mention: their chicken teriyaki sandwich.. hmmmmm..

Singel 404 (=address) - always packed with local girls for some reason.. delicious lunch, chaotic service. Opens at 10:30.

Poco Loco (Nieuwmarkt) - recommended if it's warm enough to sit outside, good for people/freak watching and some surprisingly good food.

Puccini (Staalstraat 21) - nice tiny lunchroom with (modern) Italian influences, good sandwiches, opposite Stopera building and Waterlooplein market

Latei (Zeedijk) - cheap and above all weird little place to grab a soup and a sandwich. This place is filled with 60s and 70s retro stuff and everything is for sale. Artsy crowds, lots of (harmless) crack junkies and cute Asian girls to entertain you while you eat your omelette. :)

Hope you have a good time! Let me know if these were helpful.

This post will self-destruct in twenty seconds.

im actually going back to amsterdam next friday and for the life of me i cant remember the name of this restaurant i ate at last year, it was this fondue place and you had to climb these stairs that were practically vertical, almost like a ladder to get to the dining room

it was near dam square not too far from swissotel, anyone know the name? thanks

im actually going back to amsterdam next friday and for the life of me i cant remember the name of this restaurant i ate at last year, it was this fondue place and you had to climb these stairs that were practically vertical, almost like a ladder to get to the dining room

it was near dam square not too far from swissotel, anyone know the name? thanks

That would probably be Crignon (Gravenstraat 28).

Frankly, I am amazed that anyone would want to go back there.

nah thats not it

Sorry, but that's the only restaurant I know near Damrak that serves fondue.

Maoz has locations in Paris, Barcelona and even the US. I think they opened one in NYC a few weeks ago (38 Union Sq East). No need to travel all the way to Amsterdam for Maoz. :)

Sorry, but that's the only restaurant I know near Damrak that serves fondue.

Maoz has locations in Paris, Barcelona and even the US. I think they opened one in NYC a few weeks ago (38 Union Sq East). No need to travel all the way to Amsterdam for Maoz. :)

thanks anyway, im sure ill figure it out once im there or ill ask the concierge where im staying at the dylan.

really looking forward to going back, its been just over a year since i was last there and this time after my stay in amsterdam im taking the train to paris for another week. never been to paris before so that should be cool.

• 4 years later...

Those badboy sate croquettes are the one after too many beers though, and getting them out of a vending machine/wall is still entertaining the 50th time.

Vesper bar - http://www.vesperbar.nl/ - is pretty good as well. I'd check out the De Pijp (Flamingo, Chocolate bar, Mazzeltof) out as well if you've got some time/need something to do afterwards if you go to the Heineken musuem (beer included in price at the end).

Pulpo is a pretty banging restaurant as well - http://www.pulpo-restaurant-willemsparkweg-amsterdam.com/ - but a bit out of the way if you wanna go straight to a bar or out afterwards.