19oz vs. 21oz for Hawaiian Weather?

lowrider

I was all set and chopin' at the bit to get the SExIH01BKs when they drop - even begged a friend in SF to pick them up so I won't miss out.

Then I read the SDA D1293 thread about how it would be too hot for 80 degree weather with high humidity. So now I'm worried I'm gonna get sweat salt deposits on the SExIHO1BKs in the back of my knees...

I haven't felt anything heavier than my SC x Begin that's 14.75oz. These are comfortable here in Hawaii.

So I guess my question is if there'll be any significant difference between 19oz and 21oz denim? I need a slim fit jean and was really looking to the SExIHs to be them. But I'm inspired by poly800rock's post that his Oni Shoai shrank like crazy and he know considers it to be a slim fit jean.

I'll get the Shoai if it'll be significantly more breatheable than the SExIHs.

Please provide your input. Mahalo.

I've never been to Hawaii, nor do I own the Oni's, nor have I ever worn Iron heart, but I really don't think the combination of slub + weight is a good one for the summer. I tried to wear my PBJ last summer but decided it was better to hold off on them (and I'm in Los Angeles, which isn't humid at all).

The Iron Hearts 21 Oz is made of the finest Zimbabwe Cotton. Same cotton 45 RPM uses for their Jomons. I am currently breaking in my IH Straight Leg selvage and although it 21 oz, the cotton is very soft and comfortable. We had freak weather a couple of weeks ago ( went up to the 80s ) and the jeans did not feel hot or heavy at all. Remember, cotton breathes so I wouldn't worry if I were you.

I have tried on 19oz Onis and I own 21oz IH. IH are okay for 80 deg but I would probably reserve them for wearing at night, in some place like hawaii. Like the other dude said super slubby is kinda harsh in hot and humid weather, its like wearing dickies...

I've never been to Hawaii, nor do I own the Oni's, nor have I ever worn Iron heart, but I really don't think the combination of slub + weight is a good one for the summer. I tried to wear my PBJ last summer but decided it was better to hold off on them (and I'm in Los Angeles, which isn't humid at all).

Thanks P2G. If you can't wear 19oz in LA weather, I'll probably have some seriously salty balls... I lived by LAX for 14 years so I think I've got a solid frame of reference to what you're talking about.

I really want the jeans and thankfully I work a desk job and have the AC blasting at home... I wonder if I could stand it.

It's so silly that I'm trying to convince myself to make a bad decision.

Well, I love super slubby jeans and I think anyone who can get them should get them. I don't think you'll be disappointed at all if you get them.

You may not want to wear them while walking around at noon in the middle of the summer, but you can pull them out when its right to. The cool thing about these slubby jeans is that they are visually interesting from the get go, so you don't necessarily need to get months and months of wear in there before you're happy with them.

In short, do it :) I'd do it if they were long enough for me.

The Iron Hearts 21 Oz is made of the finest Zimbabwe Cotton. Same cotton 45 RPM uses for their Jomons. I am currently breaking in my IH Straight Leg selvage and although it 21 oz, the cotton is very soft and comfortable. We had freak weather a couple of weeks ago ( went up to the 80s ) and the jeans did not feel hot or heavy at all. Remember, cotton breathes so I wouldn't worry if I were you.

I have a 21oz iron heart as well as a pair of the shoai onis. Actually my eternal 811s are warmer/more insulative than BOTH of them. The 21oz denim is actually woven in some funny way so actually it's pretty soft and pliable. The onis are SO uneven that you can feel the wind through the thin places.

Thanks for all the really helpful answers everyone. Greatly appreciated.

Now all I need it to see poly800rock's pictures of his "maximum shrinkage" treatment to his Shoai so I can make a determination as to which jean I should go with.

blm14 - have you thrown your jeans into hot wash / warm rinse (twice) like poly has?

I'm looking for a slim jean and heard that the Shoai is more like a '47 cut (smaller waist to hip ratio and big in the seat) but poly posted that his has shrunk so much after his second hot soak that it's now slim fitting.

Can a Shoai shrink to fit like a Dior 21cm?

I have tried on 19oz Onis and I own 21oz IH. IH are okay for 80 deg but I would probably reserve them for wearing at night, in some place like hawaii. Like the other dude said super slubby is kinda harsh in hot and humid weather, its like wearing dickies...

not to jack the thread but

is pbj too slubby for hot weather? im moving to miami and want to get a pair..

not to jack the thread but

is pbj too slubby for hot weather? im moving to miami and want to get a pair..

Mine are PBJ AI (18.6 oz), not the 14.5 oz ones which are also substantially less slubby. I'd think PBJ should be fine wherever.

i have worn my sammies through the hottest weather here in SD and even vegas. In 95 degree plus weather on consistent days i did not even notice much of the heat in the jeans or them getting wet. The only time they made a difference and were not fun to be in hot weather was when i was biking in them. So unless your doing something i think it will be okay.

i have worn my sammies through the hottest weather here in SD and even vegas. In 95 degree plus weather on consistent days i did not even notice much of the heat in the jeans or them getting wet. The only time they made a difference and were not fun to be in hot weather was when i was biking in them. So unless your doing something i think it will be okay.

Haha... I lived in SD for 4 years before moving to Hawaii. That's cool man. I hope you're referring to the 17oz sammies. Poly was cool enough to share with me his pics and I think I'm gonna cop the SExIHs instead of the Shoai. I really trying to stick to my 4 pairs of jeans rule so this decision is hard since it's my final pair.

Thanks again to everyone! You guys rock!

Thanks for all the really helpful answers everyone. Greatly appreciated.

Now all I need it to see poly800rock's pictures of his "maximum shrinkage" treatment to his Shoai so I can make a determination as to which jean I should go with.

blm14 - have you thrown your jeans into hot wash / warm rinse (twice) like poly has?

Can a Shoai shrink to fit like a Dior 21cm?

I did about a 20 minute hot soak (while being worn) on my onis and they shrunk a TON, especially in the length. I dont own any dior so I cant really compare.

The iron heart jeans I own are the non-selvage kind and according to the iron heart website the wont shrink barely at all even though they're in a raw state, so I didnt bother.