UNIQLO premium denim

Tyro1

FROM HIGHSNOBIETY

Uniqlo’s spring denim line is proof positive that fashionable, well-made, premium denim jeans can be affordable and accessible. Ranging in price from $19.50 (for kids) to $59.50 (for adults) with the core price line at $39.50, Uniqlo’s denim line features the world’s best Japanese denim combined with cutting-edge fits, styles and washes.

Unlike American mass produced jeans, Uniqlo only uses Ring denim, which has a textured surface and is woven from ring yarn to give the jeans a rugged and natural fade. To give its jeans the richest color possible, Uniqlo’s partner denim producer uses a technique called rope dyeing, which keeps the core of each thread white, while giving the perimeter a beautiful indigo color. All of the men’s and women’s denim for the spring collection comes from Japan, with nearly all of it sourced from Kaihara, a premium denim producer founded in 1893 and one of the world’s most renowned denim suppliers.

Uniqlo’s design team in Japan developed the spring premium denim line that features a variety of fits, from skinny to wide, and finishes in every shade of blue to black. The result is 9 different models for women, 7 for men and 6 for children. This coming fall Uniqlo will add additional fits and finishes to its premium denim collection including Real Vintage and Selvage denim.

Look out for these to drop at the Uniqloflagship store in NYC and other US stores with the Spring collection. When we thought Cheap Monday was cheap, Uniqlo sets a new low for high quality denim. We cannot wait for them to be more widely represented on the European market. Check out some of the styles after the jump.

RTEmagicC_uniqlo_springdenim_head-01.jpg.jpg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Young King

What The Fuck Is This

I belive they call them Jeans, sometimes also called denim. They are a common article of clothing, generally worn on the legs.

If you are interested in finding more information about these, please search the word jeans, then read every single thread that comes up...

Cheers

actually, uniqlo and cheap monday have little in common. CM has a much edgier aesthetic, in a very similar way to april77 but playing up the irreligious card more (way way more). and hence CM has little reason to focus on denim, being primarily a "fashion" jean. in the same way, aprils are purchased for their fit rather than the quality of their denim and finishes. i have never been impressed with CM's denim, it feels like rough recycled paper and the elastane does not help at all. in comparison, april's denim feels much finer and luxuriant.

uniqlo, on the other hand, is more of a H&M-type store. perhaps comparisons to giordano wouldn't be out of place either. all of them seem to be aiming for the basics market, a very general base. in the same way H&M is now doing collabs with viktor & rolf and stella mccartney, uniqlo has been working with companies and stores like colette and also various other independent artists on t-shirt lines, etc. most of them are pretty tasteful, not like those terrible XXX x XXX x XXX x XXX collabs you'll see in most streetwear. my impression of uniqlo (probably biased and filtered) is of great value for money, quality for low prices.

when it comes down to buying CM or uniqlo, i'd pick the uniqlo any day.

actually, uniqlo and cheap monday have little in common. CM has a much edgier aesthetic, in a very similar way to april77 but playing up the irreligious card more (way way more). and hence CM has little reason to focus on denim, being primarily a "fashion" jean. in the same way, aprils are purchased for their fit rather than the quality of their denim and finishes. i have never been impressed with CM's denim, it feels like rough recycled paper and the elastane does not help at all. in comparison, april's denim feels much finer and luxuriant.

uniqlo, on the other hand, is more of a H&M-type store. perhaps comparisons to giordano wouldn't be out of place either. all of them seem to be aiming for the basics market, a very general base. in the same way H&M is now doing collabs with viktor & rolf and stella mccartney, uniqlo has been working with companies and stores like colette and also various other independent artists on t-shirt lines, etc. most of them are pretty tasteful, not like those terrible XXX x XXX x XXX x XXX collabs you'll see in most streetwear. my impression of uniqlo (probably biased and filtered) is of great value for money, quality for low prices.

when it comes down to buying CM or uniqlo, i'd pick the uniqlo any day.

thanks Tip

anyway, the comparison between Uniqlo and Cheap Monday was more of a fiscal relationship. Not so much the branding, or the quality, or what have you, but more so their prices.

yup, i think superfically it's not hard to see why they might make that connection, but if they had any real contact with both brands their differences would be immediately apparent.

well, either way i'm waiting for one of the japanese buying services to come back online. i'm going to order some tops from uniqlo jp... :)

American Apparel is about to release some cool unisex denim, slim cut, very eccletic colors, and same price range minus the high quality premium denim part.

Yeah...that part.

I curse myself everyday for not getting the slim straight Black Dress Denim. I walk in one day and get "They were all shipped to the flagship store yesterday." Then again I feel like an unofficial Uniqlo spokesperson because I reccomend them to everyone for everything.

I tried on the T-000 Skinny from uniqlo on the weekend.

In regards to fit, I found them to be rather like A.P.C.'s New Cures, except they hug the calves even more. They are equally low waist.

They were on special here in HK last weekend... $200 HKD (divide it by 7.8 to get USD value). I was so depressed that I had just spent 5 times that amount on A.P.C.s for essentially the same fit that I bought a pair for my brother.

I belive they call them Jeans, sometimes also called denim. They are a common article of clothing, generally worn on the legs.

If you are interested in finding more information about these, please search the word jeans, then read every single thread that comes up...

Cheers

No, you ass. I meant what kind of "premium" denim is this??? This is shit denim, at a shit price. Trying to milk people like us for cash, and taking away from the real jap denim scene.

Well it's good to see that Uniqlo is bringing back selvage. If everyone is wondering what I'm talking about, I'll explain. We all know that when Uniqlo first started up in the states, they had a washed selvage jean. Due to the change in seasons, they did away with the selvage jeans. I guess that due to lack in popularity, the just got rid of them. Now that selvage is bigger than it was a few months or even a year ago, the decided to bring it back. Could there be either a one wash or raw selvage in the future?

No, you ass. I meant what kind of "premium" denim is this??? This is shit denim, at a shit price. Trying to milk people like us for cash, and taking away from the real jap denim scene.

uniqlo is good denim at a good price.

you're saying kaihara double ringspun denim isn't good? how bout rope-dyed yarns? even uniqlo's selvage jeans have selvage coin pockets and chainstitching--at under $60.

you got a lot to learn, young dumb-ass.

\

jesus christ. it's hard to imagine an [A.P.C.ish quality] jean for 60 dollars after getting used to decent denim being minimum 140.

I'm sure they have great details, but is the execution as good? How's stitching, hardware, ect. this is interesting.

if these are really along the lines of A.P.C. in quality, they may just kill every brand under 200. at least for SuperFuture.

this from someone who, in all seriousness, is interested in both diorxeternal and cmf homme s/s 07...

please, tell me all about the "real jap denim scene."

neg rep for you. good luck digging yourself out of the hole.

zehero, quality is as good, maybe better than APC, in my opinion.

the difference is APC has awesomes cuts, uniqlo's current shuttle denim has a more 47 style cut. i hope uniqlo's new offerings will have more flattering cuts. the most recent uniqlo non-shuttle denim jeans and pants are looking really good with nice slim silhouettes.

as far as hardware, don't expect hidden pocket rivets or deadstock zippers. uniqlo denim tend to have YKK zippers and without hidden pocket rivets.

BTW, my boy ryu (the sugarcane man) used to rock uniqlo back in the day. these are his results after 11 months:

http://letgoasyoulike.fc2web.com/uniqlo11.htm

i am expecting even better results from uniqlo's new denim line...

zehero, quality is as good, maybe better than APC, in my opinion.

the difference is APC has awesomes cuts, uniqlo's current shuttle denim has a more 47 style cut. i hope uniqlo's new offerings will have more flattering cuts. the most recent uniqlo non-shuttle denim jeans and pants are looking really good with nice slim silhouettes.

as far as hardware, don't expect hidden pocket rivets or deadstock zippers. uniqlo denim tend to have YKK zippers and without hidden pocket rivets.

BTW, my boy ryu (the sugarcane man) used to rock uniqlo back in the day. these are his results after 11 months:

http://letgoasyoulike.fc2web.com/uniqlo11.htm

i am expecting even better results from uniqlo's new denim line...

Spot on. Uniqlo quality is better than APC, in my opinion as well. Looking forward to trying on some of their new cuts for the spring/summer season.