ichi the killer - good or bad cinema

dumadiscount

No, Ichi the Killer is not good unless you want to watch the most absurdly and unecessarily gory movie you have ever seen (and that is alot coming from me) with a retarded ending and equally retarded story.

It is "cool" in a "getting drunk with friends and saying 'aw fuck, that's gnarly' every five seconds kind of way," not a Battle Royale, "this violence/story is kickass kind of way." If you like seeing a close of up a crying woman having her nipples sliced off with a razor blade, or a man being suspended from the ceiling with fish hooks having a pot of boiling oil spilled on his back and face, then by all means, check it out.

I am surprised this one even made it past the censorship laws in the US, to be honest.

I liked it. It's cringe-worthy in a few parts, but it's basically meant to be a live-action anime. In that sense, it's a great success, and the violence is very cartoony for the most part. It's a bizarro story about manipulation and stolen identity, with a good helping of the organized-crime underworld to boot. The story is just overshadowed with crazy gore.

good.

The premise is interesting; A good (?) guy who is an emblem of sadism, and a bad guy who is an emblem of masochism. It's kinda funny here and there, and the gory scenes aren't that realistic anyway, so it's not really a disturbing film. It's an interesting b-movie, but nothing amazing.

Now, Tetsuo the Iron Man WAS disturbing........ hehehe

It's nice, especially when you notice that a lot of the violent scene are edited so your imagination completes the action (i.e. blade sliding near nipple, cut-as in the editing sense-, messy consequence). What I find amazing is that this structure is recurring but hardly noticed by the vast majority of viewers....

I loved it.

Definitely worth a watch if you like gore and/or yakuza movies.

For some strange reason they make an edited version, so watch out for that. I was pretty pissed when I found out I bought the shitty version.

Anyone check out the live action sequel? it's awfully low budget haha.

too gory...

but if you enjoyed this film, try battle royale too. Visitor Q's pretty good too.{/b]

Miike is a pretty wacky guy, but even for him, Visitor Q is just a sick, sick movie, in the most disturbing way. I'm not sure how people could regard this as good or even passable cinema.

But thinking about it now, I kind of want to re-watch it again to see why I thought it was so revolting initially, so maybe it is decent afterall...haha, go figure.

Miike is a pretty wacky guy, but even for him, Visitor Q is just a sick, sick movie, in the most disturbing way. I'm not sure how people could regard this as good or even passable cinema.

But thinking about it now, I kind of want to re-watch it again to see why I thought it was so revolting initially, so maybe it is decent afterall...haha, go figure.

What's really interesting about some of Miike's films is that he uses extreme genre scenarios to promote pretty standard family values (i.e. Visitor Q, Happiness of the Katakuris).

too gory...

but if you enjoyed this film, try battle royale too. Visitor Q's pretty good too.

Ichi was more of a ... sick gory film.

Battle Royale was a violence gory film.

I'm used to gore in violent films, but Ichi was nasty gory stuff. Cutting off his tongue and stuff...nasty!

i want watch it but i never had the chance to

there should be 2 movies ichi the killer and just ichi i think

but i forget oh wells, imma check up on that later. :P

What's really interesting about some of Miike's films is that he uses extreme genre scenarios to promote pretty standard family values (i.e. Visitor Q, Happiness of the Katakuris).

Yes, very true. Actually, I more or less enjoy most of his movies and shorts for this very element. He's definitely a bit of an inconsistent director, but always quite interesting. It's been awhle back, but Visitor Q, to this point, has been the only movie where I was thinking "WTF" every 5 mins though, especially that end scene... Man, that was just sooo fck'ed up...haha, shit, I felt dirty when the end creds started rolling. All of you curious...rent it, you will know what I mean.

• 4 weeks later...