Fuck Canadian Customs

high_contrast

yeah, i've been doing a few google checks to see what was going on.

The thing that gets me is that last week I received a package from Japan within 3 business days so I was under the impression that maybe it wasn't THAT backed up so I kept ordering stuff, especially for Christmas presents.

'Guess I kind of screwed myself over.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How's the shipping out of canada like? I'm waiting for a package sent through CanadaPost but there's no tracking number. I only have the photo of the receipt. Is the service reliable? Or do they lose packages often?

Thanks in advance

• 6 months later...

I ordered APC New Standards on the 20th of June. My package went into canadian customs in Quebec on the 26th of June, and hasn't come out yet. What could they possibly be doing with my package for the past week? They must be wearing them around the warehouse, working on a nice fade for me for when my jeans arrive.

I can't wait to get them in like a month and have them ask me for some ridiculous amount of cash when they arrive.

So pissed.

I ordered APC New Standards on the 20th of June. My package went into canadian customs in Quebec on the 26th of June, and hasn't come out yet. What could they possibly be doing with my package for the past week? They must be wearing them around the warehouse, working on a nice fade for me for when my jeans arrive.

I can't wait to get them in like a month and have them ask me for some ridiculous amount of cash when they arrive.

So pissed.

In all fairness for your jeans. You have to factor in the weekend and Canada day. I am pretty sure that basically everyone at Canada Post has taken the 26th on off. You should get them by the end of this week.

And apparently it takes 6 days (and counting) to verify a parcel marked as 1 item, pair of jeans with a declared value of $155. Obviously the package will be delivered in a timely fashion once canada post gets it. I highly doubt I will get them by the end of this week, as they still haven't cleared customs, I think I'll be lucky if it even gets out of quebec by Friday. So gross.

Yeah right off of apc.fr. I'm still kind of hoping that Canada Post just failed to update their tracking, and that my package will magically appear today. I was expecting it after the long weekend. Tomorrow will be 2 weeks since I placed my order. Toooo long.

Yeah right off of apc.fr. I'm still kind of hoping that Canada Post just failed to update their tracking, and that my package will magically appear today. I was expecting it after the long weekend. Tomorrow will be 2 weeks since I placed my order. Toooo long.

From experience it usually takes about 2 weeks, sometimes more, for me to get my APC orders, though I'm way out on the west coast. The up side is that I've only had to pay tax once out of six or seven orders..

EDIT: yeah Canada Post's tracking is often unreliable, but why would a package shipped from the US be tracked through them? The tracking should be through the carrier APC used..

Yeah, make sure you go USPS. Never use UPS or FedEx.. Although one time I got a package marked $50 and I didn't get charged anything by UPS :confused:

It's like Mr. Fingers said above, it's a brokerage/handling fee. So, if the package doesn't get stopped at the border, you shouldn't be charged the fee. However, if it does...

You can get around this brokerage fee by doing your own paper work. You need to contact Canada Customs, get the proper paperwork, fill it out completely, send the paperwork to the company where you bought the product, and ensure that they include the paperwork with the product when it's shipped. If all of the above is executed right, all you should have to pay for is duty/taxes.

I do it all the time after a friend got tagged with a $40.00CAN brokerage fee for a $25.00CAN skate video.

I have been very lucky so far, and have had nothing held up at Customs. Maybe the paperwork helps?

Lately, I ask the shipper to send as "sample", and I haven't been taxed that way, I dont think. I got some pricey packages coming in soon, hopefully the taxman dont rape me.:eek:

edit: I also agree with canada post being slow lately, fuck em'.

It's like Mr. Fingers said above, it's a brokerage/handling fee. So, if the package doesn't get stopped at the border, you shouldn't be charged the fee. However, if it does...

Actually, you're charged the fee because the packages never go through Customs in the traditional sense. That's the whole point. Rather than UPS/FedEx/etc. having to wait for all their packages to clear customs, they have an arrangement with Customs that allows them to deal with it all themselves. You're paying them a premium to take care of it in a much quicker way..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Customs_broking

You can get around this brokerage fee by doing your own paper work. You need to contact Canada Customs, get the proper paperwork, fill it out completely, send the paperwork to the company where you bought the product, and ensure that they include the paperwork with the product when it's shipped. If all of the above is executed right, all you should have to pay for is duty/taxes.

Yeah, you can also refuse delivery, or just not answer the door, and then call the carrier and say you want to pick it up at the warehouse, and that you want to clear it yourself. I think it just means one extra form to fill out, plus picking up at a different office in the same building, and then you just pay the tax, no handling/broker fees. I've never done it but a friend of mine does it all the time.

if someone could save me the time of reading through the whole thread, i have a pretty simple question. i'm going to be moving to canada soon and am fearing the idea of being charged for items shipped to me outside of the country. do customs have a policy that if a package is labeled as a "gift", can i always walk away fee free or can there still be exceptions? i don't want to learn this the hard way.

A "gift" worth under $60 is supposed to mean no tax and usually does. Exceptions are when it's obviously worth more (electronics, a laptop, etc.), or if they open the package and find a pricetag or invoice with a higher value. But it usually works.

The fees are a drag but aren't that bad compared to private carriers. $5 handling fee plus 5% tax in most cases.

• 3 weeks later...