guitar amps and guitars

poly800rock

Line 6 amps blow hard in my opinion. Fender amps are the best. period.

Doublepost, but I have to say that both of those amps are terrible. An SS fender really isn't much of a fender. The best cheap amps are probably the cubes and vox valvetronix, especially the old blue valvetronix. The Peavey ultra tube amps are also great on a budget

And not all line 6 amps blow, the upper end stuff like the Vetta's can sound great if tweaked right

sunn model t + sunn solarus + sunn 6x12 + sunn 4x12 > super feedbacker pedal > old hondo II originalmodel (w/ badass pickup booster) = my fuzzed out rig of destruction

pics or it didn't happen.

i've been looking for sunn o))) shit for so long but i always end up fucking myself on ebay and losing in the last three minutes. best rig i've seen in here

I remember when I was 16-17, you could buy a model t for 350 bucks, and any of the other amps for way cheaper (my buddy got a perfect 200s for 200 bucks). I saved my pennies for a year, finally had enough cash to hunt one down, and then I got busted shoplifting and paid a 500 dollar fine. There went every last bit of my money. when I finally saved up enough money again, found an amazing deal on a rare marshall (which ended up being a huge money pit, but thats another story). Basically, all this just to say I never got the sunn0))) I've wanted ever since I've needed a half stack!

Doublepost, but I have to say that both of those amps are terrible. An SS fender really isn't much of a fender. The best cheap amps are probably the cubes and vox valvetronix, especially the old blue valvetronix. The Peavey ultra tube amps are also great on a budget

And not all line 6 amps blow, the upper end stuff like the Vetta's can sound great if tweaked right

You do realize that Fender amps create the greatest clean tones you've ever heard right? With a name like Phishphood you would have to know that Trey uses Fender Twins right?

...And all Line 6 amps do infact blow. My blown out Squier 15w plugged into my computer speakers has more heart to it than any Line 6 junker. Modeling amps are stupid sounding and PODS should all be thrown into the ocean. The Beatles never used any stupid modeling amps did they? So why do we need them now?

You do realize that Fender amps create the greatest clean tones you've ever heard right? With a name like Phishphood you would have to know that Trey uses Fender Twins right?

Huge generalizations ftl. Blackface twins do sound great, but a fender Frontman has absolutely nothing in common with those designs except cosmetics. Fender Frontmans and Marshall MG's are nothing more thansolid state junk designed to capitalize on their respective companies reputations.

...And all Line 6 amps do infact blow. My blown out Squier 15w plugged into my computer speakers has more heart to it than any Line 6 junker. Modeling amps are stupid sounding and PODS should all be thrown into the ocean. The Beatles never used any stupid modeling amps did they? So why do we need them now?

Dustin Kensure from Thrice uses a Vetta combo and when I saw them it stood up to Teppei's Bassman very nicely. But what does he know, he's only a professional touring musician :rolleyes:

I've seen '71's go for like, $2000. I never said they couldn't be fixer-upper's

Like I said, you're talking Norlin era there. Not that thats always a bad thing, my dad has a 70s LP that kicks ass, but I'd make sure to play it before buying. Gibsons from that period are really inconsistent

Like I said, you're talking Norlin era there. Not that thats always a bad thing, my dad has a 70s LP that kicks ass, but I'd make sure to play it before buying. Gibsons from that period are really inconsistent

Very true. It's hard to find an olympic white model though... makes me sad

hahahaha awesome quote.

This is how I feel about all technology. Doesn't the kaoss pad let you bend a note any way you move your finger? If so very cool.

pretty sure that's one of the things it does, it also works as a sampler (although my mini kaoss pad only samples a glitchy second or so), and some sort of multi-effects. i haven't gotten to drop it in my chain yet. it's a pretty cool gadget.

pedalboard count is at nine

• 2 weeks later...
that's rad, is that the one with vibrato/reverb? i just keep wanting to buy combo amps lately, i'm so sick of hauling huge cabs around and i'm not even old yet.

that's the one - i'm playing a bass through it and it sounds sick.

if you're looking at combos, don't go for the solarus; it's the size of a half-stack.

forum seems to be electric heavy. have an acoustic, blueridge br-143, and mainly play fingerstyle, but do like to indulge on electric every now and then.

anyone else get those cravings to play? could go having not played for 1-2 weeks and all of a sudden have this unbearable urge

JAMC used Shin-Ei fuzz pedals, apparently they're discontinued, but you could look aroudn ebay or something I guess.

I have a little big big muff and a DBA Soundwave breakdown for fuzz and I'd say the big muff is probably a bit better for JAMC sounds, kinda mellower than the DBA. You should check out the War Fuzz though, also by DBA, I wanted to try it out but couldn't find it in any stores so I went with the SB which is fuzzier + harsher.

Should've assumed it was Shin-Ei... Colin Greenwood scooped up a bunch back in the day, I think I read that he owned upwards of 5 different models of the Shin-Ei fuzzes from over the years.

Right now I've got a NYC Big Muff, Fender Blender Reissue (disused), Sustain Punch Creamy Dreamer, and a broke Vox Fuzz-wah from the late 70's (might've been a reissue, got it at a yard sale). None of these can come close to the clean fuzz that JAMC get. Muff doesn't distort to a square wave, the Creamy Dreamer has the same issue, the Fender Blender reissue is a bunk pedal (it was a birthday present), and the fuzz-wah is obviously broken... Should I just look around for some old fuzz boxes like Maestro's or vintage EHX stuff? I wanna find the tone.

• 4 weeks later...

there are shin-ei clones out there. i cant remember anybody who makes one off the top of my head though. if you're handy with a soldering iron the site general guitar gadgets has a kit to build one for pretty cheap.

Finally got my Les Paul Custom

IMG_0698.jpg

And waiting on a Jackson RR24.

I'm looking now at getting an amp, and I'm tossing up between the Peavey 6505+ head with the 6505 box, or a Dual Rectifier with the Recto cab.

Anyone here fucked with them?

Also, are ENGL or VHT amps anygood?

Very nice. I've been holding back, but I'm pretty set on purchasing a Les Paul 'Traditional'.......Seems to be a solid medium between the Studio and Custom.