Nice denim for short people?

martinjmadriaga

Hey guys, I'm really interested in buying some nice jeans like all of you guys, but most of you guys are taller than I am. I am afraid that these jeans will not look good on me because the length is too long. I would like to have the skinny, stacked jeans look, but at 5'6, 125, how much stack is too much? I was thinking about the Nudie Thin Finn in 28/32, but I want it to look like how you guys look, especially with Diors. I am also looking at the APC New Cure or the Ande Whall Rakers. If any of you short guys out there can help me out that would be awesome.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's what hemming is for..

I'm 5'7" and i wear everything from Dior to Imperial..

i just hem them after the initial soak..

Do you select jeans with hemming in mind?

I just figure i've got to hem almost everything.. i pay no attention to length..

Most Sugarcane jeans are ok for me because the inseams are normally around 33.5".. but almost everything else i've got to take off an inch or two..

is that what you meant?

i just read today in a recent japanese magazine that said the average japanese male is now just a little under 172cm (5'8). thus most japanese denim are made with these people in mind. at your height (5'6), there are jeans like the omnigods where you won't even have to hem. with the others, they are designed to be hemmed, so you should have nothing to worry about.

it's the other way around that's more difficult -- when you're much taller or much bigger.

Sorta. I'm 6'1", but I seem to have short legs or something, 33" inseam works for me, I'm not into the uberstack look. When I bought the S7100XX it had a tapered leg, but after hemming, not so much. Have you decided against a pair because hemming would change look of the jean?

I am 6'1" as well and 33" is the perfect inseam for a 6'1" in most cases. I say you are run of the mill Dink danger, sorry dude. I also had a 6'1" roommate in college who had same inseam I think it is a pretty common one for a 6'1" guy.

I am 6'1" as well and 33" is the perfect inseam for a 6'1" in most cases. I say you are run of the mill Dink danger, sorry dude. I also had a 6'1" roommate in college who had same inseam I think it is a pretty common one for a 6'1" guy.

So true. I'm just over 6' 2" and usually 32 is too short and 34 is a little too long. Just under 33" is a perfect one for me.

The other thing that pisses me off is my legs are slightly different lengths so my left hem ALWAYS gets way more jacked than the right from wear...

One shop owner in London told me that over two thirds of his customers had their jeans cut. So I said to him why not cater for them by providing shorter length jeans. :D

As a rule I refuse to cut jeans as I think it destroys the proportions or tapers intended by the designer. Why can't the manufacturers provide jeans with different lengths? Then everyone will be happier.

Another level

One shop owner in London told me that over two thirds of his customers had their jeans cut. So I said to him why not cater for them by providing shorter length jeans. :D

As a rule I refuse to cut jeans as I think it destroys the proportions or tapers intended by the designer. Why can't the manufacturers provide jeans with different lengths? Then everyone will be happier.

Another level

well, one thing is price, Producing everything in one inseam is much cheaper than making 2-5 different sizes. Also, consider that some sizes dont sell. so all the 30x34 would sell, but the 34x30 wont.. Its all a business, and they need to make money.. keep that in mind..

A lot of manufacturers do make different tagged inseam sizes, but that brings costs up for them and also puts pressure on the retailers (ending up with all 30" inseams is annoying and wastes money)

Yeah, I've heard that argument before. I've also seen retailers ended up with long inseams as well which I imagine is equally annoying as well as wasting money.

If these two thirds of people stopped buying jeans with long inseam length then eventually the manufacturers would bring out suitable length jeans as they need to cater for the bigger market. Unfortunately this means that the minority, people with need to have a longer length inseam, may not be catered for.

Another level

Sorta. I'm 6'1", but I seem to have short legs or something, 33" inseam works for me, I'm not into the uberstack look. When I bought the S7100XX it had a tapered leg, but after hemming, not so much. Have you decided against a pair because hemming would change look of the jean?

Definitely. That's why you'll never see me wearing a pair Samurais.

Once i cut off the bottom 4" or 5", i've essentially cut off all the taper and that look doesn't work well for me.

That's one of the reasons i've gotten really into Flat Head, because they come in a 36" inseam but they shrink a LOT, therefore there's no need for a hem.

So if you're careful you can decided on how much they're going to shrink by knowing the properties of the denim and how long to soak them for, etc..

I'm 5'8", I find that a 34 measured inseam is fine, but 36 is too long. I don't like getting hems done, so I avoid 36 inseams.

To the original poster, I think stacking a 34 inseam will look fine on you. Luckily, the majority of japanese jeans are 34. Many shrink even shorter.

I'm 5'8", I find that a 34 measured inseam is fine, but 36 is too long. I don't like getting hems done, so I avoid 36 inseams.

To the original poster, I think stacking a 34 inseam will look fine on you. Luckily, the majority of japanese jeans are 34. Many shrink even shorter.

You know, i find it very odd.. we have quite a few customers that come into Self Edge that also refuse to buy something that they have to hem (even though we hem for free, it doesnt' seem like a decision made out of a cost restriction). I can safely say that all of them are easily under the age of 20.

I point out that what they're doing makes them exclude Iron Heart, Flat Head, Samurai, and Imperial from their choices, most of them seem bothered that they now can't buy those brands.

I just shake my head out of confusion.

this is kind of a digression, but it was recently brought up on styleforum. Regarding tapering, A good example of an extreme inseam that still works well with a taper in the APC new standard. I'm 5 7" too and it is still a definite taper even hemming to a 30" length. Same goes for my Samurai contest jeans. I'm really curious concerning this simply because Samurai's in particular aren't designed for the western consumer and I'd guess that the average height in japan is 5 7- 5 9". So in that sense, i'd think that the taper for samurai's somehow compensate for that...just my thoughts..

You know, i find it very odd.. we have quite a few customers that come into Self Edge that also refuse to buy something that they have to hem (even though we hem for free, it doesnt' seem like a decision made out of a cost restriction). I can safely say that all of them are easily under the age of 20.

I point out that what they're doing makes them exclude Iron Heart, Flat Head, Samurai, and Imperial from their choices, most of them seem bothered that they now can't buy those brands.

I just shake my head out of confusion.

i'm a 31 length, and in dry jeans, i'll buy whatever length i can find and hem them. but for prewashes, a 34 looks ridiculous b/c the knee and honeycomb wear marks start like 2 inches from my ankles.

this is kind of a digression, but it was recently brought up on styleforum. Regarding tapering, A good example of an extreme inseam that still works well with a taper in the APC new standard. I'm 5 7" too and it is still a definite taper even hemming to a 30" length. Same goes for my Samurai contest jeans. I'm really curious concerning this simply because Samurai's in particular aren't designed for the western consumer and I'd guess that the average height in japan is 5 7- 5 9". So in that sense, i'd think that the taper for samurai's somehow compensate for that...just my thoughts..

good to know nobody is reading my post. :(

So Samurai is designing their jeans with the idea that most of their customers are going to chop off the bottom 4"-6"?

But then again some customers, like myself, won't cut anything off.

I can't belive that you guys are acting like your choices are limited due to too long inseams! You can always make them shorter.

Consider for a second the list of jeans that I can in no way alter to fit: Sugarcane, Flathead, Somet, Warehouse, SDA, Oni, PBJ, John Bull, Full Count, etc, etc, etc

Boo-hoo to the guy who said he would never buy Samurai because he didn't want to alter them.

Does the DH store in NYC do free hemming? Looking into a pair of 19cm's-- I'm 5'6, just want to figure out how much it'll end up costing.

don't get them hemmed.

im 5'6" and i let them stack. it looks great.... i think :P

on me (and i sag a bit) its about 3 inches of stacking. not too much. you can definently get by without hemming. taper without stacking makes you look like you are from fall out boy.