football: the beautiful game

RobbertJan

well i was cheering for milan and am happy.

milan simply played their way. its not as if liverpool has such an amazing way of playing footbal.

milans defense made some stupid mistakes in the beginning but the goal gave them the confidence they needed and they played so much better afterwards.

and inzagi ? what can you say. he's so effective, and the second goal was a beauty.

• 4 weeks later...

how can we miss out on one of world's greatest games !! keep this thread goin guys !!

Discuss about all the major euro leagues . team players gossips transfers etc

Im a gunners and england fan . hail THE THREE LIONS ! :)

now this is a thread worth talking about..!

Im very dissapointed in man Us season..They played phenomenal during the regular season, but come the playoffs man did they suck...Why is that they always play like utter shit once playoffs arise?

It dissapoints me because they have some of the best football players on that team...Christiano ronaldo and rooney?

their defense tho imo is slacking extremely

^ playoffs ??? do u mean in the Champion Leagues which they lost to milan ??

their season in EPL was good no doubt . they have much more determination and drive to win the title back from chelsea which chelsea have dominated for the past seasons . and they were quick in the transfer market . snapping up 3 promisiong talents . a serious 'warning' to all the teams in euro

I was greatly dissapointed in the way man u played throughout the uefa cup.. They showed such great determination during the regular season in the EPL..Scoring goals left right and center.

What irritates me is that, they played very well against milan but then started to show fatigue and ended up costing themselves a shot at the title..

They shouldve played a lot like the Roma game..rocked them 6-0...

^^

united's defense was in bad shape due to injuries in the second leg; horrible miscues led to both goals

la liga was wild this year; kind of cool to see the madrid geezers pull together to win it

they took a lot of stick for their quality of play early in the season, which was pretty damn poor at times

but for whatever reason i was sort of rooting for them

i didn't dislike barca, but that team has had it's moment

would love to see eto'o in the premiership next season

another vote for retitling this the football thread

and for god's sake please do not call it the epl

yea it was definately one of the most thrilling finale ..coming from a goal down to win 3-1 . now beck can happily enjoy his 'hollywood' lifestyle in LA ..hahahaahaa

why does real madrid always pull off those come from behind wins, they made me feel like my barca had some hope...i hate you real

was painful to watch, as i can't stand Real either..

alls i know is that next season, Spurs will finally reach the Champions League,

whilst arsenal will be flirting with the drop:D

my how i hate those gunners

now this is a thread worth talking about..!

Im very dissapointed in man Us season..They played phenomenal during the regular season, but come the playoffs man did they suck...Why is that they always play like utter shit once playoffs arise?

It dissapoints me because they have some of the best football players on that team...Christiano ronaldo and rooney?

their defense tho imo is slacking extremely

Injuries in the back four plagued them in the final stretch of the season. You cant put a make shift defense together and expect to beat Milan and Chelsea. Im a huge United fan and it pisses me off that they couldnt pull off another trebble. On a side note, Beckhams coming to LALA land, tickets are like $400 for a "beckham package" where hes scheduled to debut but not necessarily play. what a rip

Hell, I thought La Liga was damn thrilling this season.

EPL only went down to week 36 and half way through, with Man U's form and Chelsea's lack thereof, you know Chelsea can never catch up.

But La Liga was settled in week 38 with 3 teams in the running and the amazing thing was in week 37, any of these 3 teams could snatch the title if they win in week 38 but all 3 teams drew! Really amazing!

And Real actually didnt beat Barca by points but still won despite having the worst goal difference of all 3!

I thought Real had an excellent season. They accomplish this season what they could not accomplish with the galacticos previously. Plus they had a large dose of luck.

Earlier on, they were booed by their home crowd for screwed up losses.

Capello looks like on the way out (still looks that way).

But towards the end, they strung a series of great performances, many many last ditch goals and victories and won the La Liga. Sure, its due to Barca and Sevilla being too tired, but kudos to them.

Just look at the team. Ronaldo too old and sold. Cannavaro screwing up in defence almost the whole season, Casillas letting in soft goals, Emerson booed by home crowd. Reyes played as poorly as he did in Arsenal.

The highlights were Beckham having a late revival. Ruud showing top class and making us wonder Fergie's sanity in selling him, Robinho delivering some of his top class finally. Roberto Carlos still looks good but he will be leaving too.

was painful to watch' date=' as i can't stand Real either..

alls i know is that next season, Spurs will finally reach the Champions League,

whilst arsenal will be flirting with the drop:D

my how i hate those gunners[/quote']

Spurs are a funny team. If the money is good, you bet Berbatov, Lennon, King, Robinson, Chimbonda and Defoe could all be sold. I dont think Jol is a top quality manager to guide them and I dont think Arsenal will flirt with a drop to 5th. This season was bad with all the injuries but they would get better.

OTOH, no team looks good enough to be fourth. West Ham maybe with all the buys and Curbs leading them, but Curbs doesnt look like a top notch manager to me, although he is still in the better half.

Newcastle and VIlla and Pompey would probably be in UEFA contention again with Spurs no doubt.

liverpool better fucking purchase some awesome finishers. we have decent strikers but really need some one who can eat the ball like drogba or some shit.

played cage soccer last night (every monday) fucking fast / intense :eek: :eek:

Very interesting after Rafa's outburst, they still havent spent big dollars except to renew contracts. They dont look to be going to spend big money either. I bet the American owners would pump the money into the new stadium. As it stands, Crouch is bad and inconsistent. Kuyt is better but aint that great. Bellamy is swift but hey they should have gotten Pedersen or even Benni from Rovers.

They should get people like Torres, Silva, Berbatov and Eto'o but we are talking about 20 million pounds a piece. Best to spend on proven commodities in EPL if not you end up with a 30 million pounds lame duck like Sheva. I bet Sheva is a key factor in Chelsea not winning EPL and Champs League.

renew contracts, we have a great back line and solid mid.. our scoring is fucking inconsistent like amotherfucker... and yes crouch is random i hate him for that... everyone so often he will do something crazy and score liek 2 goals or something.

we dont have a solid goal scorer, thats what we neeedd... someone who can score like everygame / every other game.

any juventus fans out there? anyone else disappointed with ranieri appointed as manager.

True. Odd choice. Chelsea booted him because Roman Abramavowitch (sic) didnt like his lack of winners attitude. He was happy finishing 2nd ni EPL and Semis in Champ League but beating the Invinicible Arsenal. He didnt accomplish anything of note after that although arguably his buys and development of talent for Chelsea at that time is the foundation of the team now.

Juve looks OK but needs a few more big buys to make a run for Serie A. Would be interesting to see how Inter and their own Galacticos react.

i remember when houllier was still around (& owen... back then when i didn't mind them), eto'o really wanted to play for liverpool. i always wondered why nobody in england picked him up. i am a huge fan of eto'o as i root for camaroon in the world cup whenever i can, which isn't often.

renew contracts, we have a great back line and solid mid.. our scoring is fucking inconsistent like amotherfucker... and yes crouch is random i hate him for that... everyone so often he will do something crazy and score liek 2 goals or something.

we dont have a solid goal scorer, thats what we neeedd... someone who can score like everygame / every other game.

Midfield is good. Mascherano is truly world class holding midfielder. Sisoko is a odd ball and I think will be on the bench if Mascherano is fit.

Gerarrd should be centre and attacking with Alonso back up.

In the finals, Gerarrd was actually near front in almost the Rooney role but it didnt work.

Not really fancy the back line. Dont think Reina is as good as they make him up to be unless they only take penalties then he is the best. But a sign of Rafa's style is of course the defence and when need be, all his team will work in defence like Chelsea.

In time to come, this will bore and piss the fans unless they keep winning things.

i remember when houllier was still around (& owen... back then when i didn't mind them), eto'o really wanted to play for liverpool. i always wondered why nobody in england picked him up. i am a huge fan of eto'o as i root for camaroon in the world cup whenever i can, which isn't often.

Eto'o is awesome. He was injured this season.

If not, he will be and is better than Drogba and more deserving of African Footballer than him.

The fall of Barca can be attributed to the drop in Eto'o and Ronaldinho's forms. But Barca would be mad to sell him unless they can find a comparable striker like him. Henry is not. He is getting old and he will be too expensive. Sounds like AC is looking for Eto'o. Eto'o and Ronaldo up front should be interesting.

Midfield is good. Mascherano is truly world class holding midfielder. Sisoko is a odd ball and I think will be on the bench if Mascherano is fit.

Gerarrd should be centre and attacking with Alonso back up.

In the finals, Gerarrd was actually near front in almost the Rooney role but it didnt work.

Not really fancy the back line. Dont think Reina is as good as they make him up to be unless they only take penalties then he is the best. But a sign of Rafa's style is of course the defence and when need be, all his team will work in defence like Chelsea.

In time to come, this will bore and piss the fans unless they keep winning things.

i dunno rafa pisses me off. he did the same strat against milan in the champions league finals that was used against game 1 againsts chelsea in the semi finals. playing a heavier mid fuck that. should have played 3 up.

I wouldn't believe much from the press about current spending at Liverpool. Rafa will try to keep a lot of deals quiet and the new owners seem to trust him all the way. It was pretty obvious that we had to wait till La Liga finished to see Rafa's big spending. There is money and I'm sure there will be some exciting players coming in shortly. Otherwise the likes of Carra, Gerrard, Alonso and Reina would never extend their contracts. I think Torres really want's to come to Liverpool but he might not be the first choice. I would like to see Eto'o or Tevez before Torres but I wouldn't complain either way. Crouch should stay cause he brings a different dimension to the game and is very dangerous against some teams. Kuyt will get more goals if he's allowed to play higher up the pitch, this was already happening when he was playing with Garcia before he got injured. I think one more striker to replace Bellamy and a new left winger and the team would be pretty much complete.

I bet Sheva is a key factor in Chelsea not winning EPL and Champs League.

nah id say the injuries in defense, sheva wasnt effective in chelsea's shit play ... nobody can really cross or make creative pass, ballack was shit, lampard was shit, no service for sheva. all they did the whole season was long ball to drogba and i think with sheva, drogba got more space last season