football: the beautiful game

RobbertJan

Its gonna be interesting how they actually pay the 80mill, definatly alot of money, good on Fergie accepting it, it was bound to happen.

Now the question is who are we going to buy to replace Ronaldo. I would have said Kaka but they already bought him. Frank Ribery is way overpriced so its going to be interested

this just in, Ronaldo on his way to Mardrid after conquering Paris.

first Kaka, and now Ronaldo, and Villa next, cant wait for the next El Clasico. but we desperately need to adress our defense, i thought Perez would have learned from his past mistakes and realize that the past galacticos never won as much as they should have because of their weak back line.

Its gonna be interesting how they actually pay the 80mill, definatly alot of money, good on Fergie accepting it, it was bound to happen.

Now the question is who are we going to buy to replace Ronaldo. I would have said Kaka but they already bought him. Frank Ribery is way overpriced so its going to be interested

Antonio Valencia.

Agree Ribeiry is way overpriced.

But Real will be letting go of their Dutch contingent. Robben if he aint so injury prone at less than 25 and 7 million pounds is a good buy. So is Sneijder and Van de Vaart. Ruud still got something left in him. He was still scoring good last season shortly before his injury.

this just in, Ronaldo on his way to Mardrid after conquering Paris.

first Kaka, and now Ronaldo, and Villa next, cant wait for the next El Clasico. but we desperately need to adress our defense, i thought Perez would have learned from his past mistakes and realize that the past galacticos never won as much as they should have because of their weak back line.

The galacticos is like one of those fantasy football teams. Same as what the Sheikh dreams of getting for his Man City. All the great attacking players with awful supporting cast.

Real should get Carvalho. The real rock of Chelsea's defence. Thought they wanted him years ago but he stayed due to Mourinho. Other teams are also looking for great defenders like Arsenal.

• 2 weeks later...
Confederation cup is BS neways.

Iraq is hardly the best team in asia or was is saudi w/e

hmmm, but they won the asia cup didn't they?

3-2 Brazil.

But who cares? Conf cup means nada.

that seems to be the common opinion of people from countries that will never qualify for the tournament. however, the FIFA ranking of the tournament is the same as the euros and higher than WC qualifiers.

that seems to be the common opinion of people from countries that will never qualify for the tournament. however, the FIFA ranking of the tournament is the same as the euros and higher than WC qualifiers.

fuck rankings. the fact that people are even discussing if the conf. cup matters means it doesn't. the lackluster performance by the top teams and underdogs being the main storylines was completely expected. OFC, CONCACAF and CAF are inferior confederations, host country participation means nothing. You have essentially three good teams playing four inferior teams.

Why would the good teams care? With motivation lacking until the very last minute when they realize that "holy shit we're going to get embarrassed", you get a boring group stage and not much press until knockouts. Hence, no one in football land gets excited. Hence, players don't get excited (underdogs and hosts excepted because it's their only chance to actually win something internationally). Hence, it just does. not. matter.

It's a dry run for the host country; a test to make sure facilities and organization is up to snuff to display this to the rest of the world.

Nice jab, by the way. But we've had Solskjaer, Flo, Riise, Carew, Iversen, Bjorneby and Berg making a significant difference in some of the most competitive leagues in Europe recently. And we're a country of 4.5 mill people. Who does the US have... anywhere?

I agree that the Confed Cup is insignificant, but both the US and Brazil were giving their all in that last match. They both really wanted to win that final. You could argue that for the US it actually is a nice trophy, whereas Brazil was playing not pride and honour (and not to lose against the US), but I wouldn't call them unmotivated.

Nice jab, by the way. But we've had Solskjaer, Flo, Riise, Carew, Iversen, Bjorneby and Berg making a significant difference in some of the most competitive leagues in Europe recently. And we're a country of 4.5 mill people. Who does the US have... anywhere?

Despite of this lack of 'star' players, the US has 8 World Cup appearances, with one 3rd place and they made it to the quarter finals in Asia. That's more than I can say for Norway.

fuck rankings. the fact that people are even discussing if the conf. cup matters means it doesn't.

rankings matter exactly for one reason, which is to get into pot 1 of the world cup finals draw. that is a huge advantage to any team going into the tournament, comparable to a non big four team finishing in the top four of the premiership.

also- for teams who aren't in conmebol or uefa, this is the only chance outside of the WC to face a top team competitively, and vice versa.

You have essentially three good teams playing four inferior teams.

either your math isn't very good or you conveniently overlooked italy. do you think that italy didn't learn anything about their team? if you were lippi would you be telling yourself "it's ok, it's a meaningless tournament. i'll just bring up the same squad and do the exact same thing at the world cup and everything will be great?"

Why would the good teams care? With motivation lacking until the very last minute when they realize that "holy shit we're going to get embarrassed", you get a boring group stage and not much press until knockouts. Hence, no one in football land gets excited. Hence, players don't get excited (underdogs and hosts excepted because it's their only chance to actually win something internationally). Hence, it just does. not. matter.

your competitive analysis also applies to the group stage of the champions league... does that mean that it's meaningless? do you think the top teams do not name and motivate a full strength squad to every match until they secure enough points for progress to the knockout round?

don't know about picking up benz, even though he is obviously young and has a huge upside i dont know why perez hasnt used any of that cash money on a big name defender like maicon. i know we picked up albiol and have are eye on arbeloa, but i think we can do better then that esp witha ll of the money were throwing around. looks like R.van is on his way out of madrid...

Guest umhaha84

readytoignite: you obviously never watched Asian Cup. It's f'ing pathetic, Match against them is usually (8/10 times) polluted with biased refereeing.

Iraq coudn't even reach round 4 of worldcup qualifying rounds. Saudi and Iran both got knocked out hard by South and NORTH korea. Even Kim Jung Il's boys beat them.

they were good decade ago but not anymore,

c*nt signs for scum. sad sad end.

you gotta love real, let's but every striker and defend with attacking. funny how they are looking at arbeloa. i like him and he did a good job last season but surely there are much better defenders they can get with the lottery money they got.