Madison, WI - Denim Capital of the US

brozek

Yesterday afternoon, walking a half-block from a coffee shop to the library, I saw three - 1 2 3 - pairs of selvage jeans (none of them from the gap)! One pair of Samurais on a bike messenger, a guy wearing APCs, and a reduced-me-to-stutteringly hot chick in 4"-cuffed something-or-others. Add in the Samurais I was wearing and it was the biggest, most concentrated random denim-nerd gathering in the midwest - probably the country - since 1955. I hereby declare Madison, WI the Denim Capital of the US.

• 3 years later...

haha...yep, good stuff. That is one nice thing about having a shop like Context in town, you get more then just the people who hang out on SuFu rocking the raw selvage jeans. I see people wearing APC's all the time downtown. I work just outside of Madison and there are some nice KMW's at work too. Madison is a pretty decent little town and I'm just thankful to have a shop like Context so I don't have to order everything online.

Awww shit i cant wait to move to madison this summer for grad school. Who lives there now? Whats it like?? I totally feel like a wide eyed little kid when I think about how different madison is compared to where i'm at now. I live in a beautiful but quaint and mormon college town..very conservative.. did I mention how mormon it is?

I know madison is ranked by playboy as the #3 party school, frankly i'm a little worried i wont be into it since i've grown accustom to playing beer pong in basements at a low to moderate noise level.

yeah, I go into Context every couple of weeks too, but I do try to buy stuff there when I can, those guys are awesome to deal with so I want them to stick around.

Madison is pretty cool. Unfortunately I live just outside of Madison in a really small town (Waterloo) for work but am hoping to move to Madison proper, preferably somewhere near downtown, in the near future. The State St./Capital Square/Willie St. area is where it's at.

Madison is the shit!! I go up there a couple times a year cuz my dad is a UW alum. always see one or two pairs of APC's. but it's def a cool city regardless

one of the owners of context was a cool guy, the other was kind of a smug jerk. but the denim was nice. and they had that wonderful Wings and Horns Research waterproof chambray jacket. over-paid for LVCs there but it was a good experience regardless.

well im a student there now.... been here for over a year.

lets see.... there is a party at any time of day if that is what you seek.

If you are into sports then your in luck too... tons of runners, lots of tennis, raquetball, basketball, squash, sailing, hiking, a shit ton of biking, pretty much every single sport to play and to watch.

im not sure bout the older crowd. theres a huge drinking scene as well as a good music scene here too. we have a lot of small indie bands as well as good djs and a decent sized dubstep scene. its also not unusual for someone like the cool kids, willie nelson, ween, bela fleck, lmfao, dinosaur jr, lmfao, or just any other big act to come in....

in summary, what ever you want to do, or are into, i garuntee that there are other cool people who do it too, and you will have a great time.