Indie-Dance/Electro/Neu-Rave/Disco/House Music: We Are Your Friends.

onemancult

everyone please get on the same page:

Electro, short for electro funk (also known as robot hip hop and Electro hop) is an electronic style of hip hop directly influenced by Kraftwerk and funk records (unlike earlier rap records which were closer to disco). Records in the genre typically have electronic sounds and some vocals are delivered in a deadpan, mechanical manner often through a vocoder or other electronic distortion.

this is the earliest incarnation of a genre known as 'electro', coming about in america during the mid to late 80s.

the late 90s Electroclash scene owed much to 80s electro, along with bringing in new wave, punk, etc.

what people are calling electro these days is really short for electro house- four to the floor beats from house music with harmonic basslines swiped mostly from electroclash and higher pitched lead synth sounds coming over from the french house scene. a lot of the current electro house that is popular owes a great deal to a small resurgence in popularity of acid house during the late 90s/early 00's in europe- that's where the now-trademark distorted synths and generally rougher sound is really coming from.

man .. im so out of the looop on what u guys are talking about!!!! i have no fucking clue about anything.....

all i know is that i listend to kitsune maison comp.4 and i really like a lot of the stuff on there.. particularly these remixes: passions, dragonnette, feist

the stuff thats on my ipod is all metal, hardcore, indie, rock.. then a bunch of trance and dance

you think u guys cld spill some knowledge on me

everyone please get on the same page:

And again, like Westside mentioned a page or two ago, you can see the crossover with hip-hop where electro first started, almost entirely in New York and mostly in the Bronx with artists like Afrika Bambaataa, Mantronix. Gotta give credit to some Detroit acts, though, Cybotron (Juan Atkins) et all, Kevin Saunderson and Mayday.

I was really into this shit for a while, a good friend of mine introduced me to the music. Fuck, he introudced me to most everything decent in music. I don't see him too much anymore, which is a perpetual bummer.

I remember seeing M.I.A. open for LCD Soundsystem probably... I'd say four or five years ago? Probably four. Visuals were this exact sort of thing, I was too far away from the stage at that point to be able to say whether or not she was wearing Cassette Playa, but it's unusual seeing in retrospect just how on point she was.

I don't think she was completely sober, however, because it was not a very good show. I don't remember if Diplo was backing that night or what, but that was good, but man, she couldn't stay on beat to save her life.

Kaskade, MSTRKRFT, Thin White Duke, Ferry Corsten, Benni Benassi, Benassi Bros, Daftpunk(of course!), and countless others rock my world. lol. Listen to the Thin White Duke remix of Royksopp's(sp?) What Else Is There? on IMEEM or anywhere else. Good track IMO. And so is Stepping Out by Kaskade.

Guest jmatsu

am i the only one sick of justice??

i am totally feeling the parallels. can someone hook me up with any tracks besides:

ghost machines

magnetic friends

signal shock??

hint hint omc, servo, notesee, hommehomme, etc

am i the only one sick of justice??

i am totally feeling the parallels. can someone hook me up with any tracks besides:

ghost machines

magnetic friends

signal shock??

hint hint omc, servo, notesee, hommehomme, etc

i've been looking for a few days now, i'll let you know if anything turns up.

i'm all about 'ghost machines'.

Are there any fans of the more chilled out House music (non electro?) here, that could recommend something more traditional or pure house? Artists like Roy Davis Jr, Danny Tenaglia or Miguel Migs that I could check out? I liked the Maison (Dragonelle) and Justin Long recommendations. All this Dan Le Sac and Justice stuff has me feeling a little French Fried. (Put away your knives, and go easy on this Gen Xer. I like electro/house too, but didn't want to have to start a thread for non electro house.) Thanks all.

Are there any fans of the more chilled out House music (non electro?) here, that could recommend something more traditional or pure house? Artists like Roy Davis Jr, Danny Tenaglia or Miguel Migs that I could check out? I liked the Maison (Dragonelle) and Justin Long recommendations. All this Dan Le Sac and Justice stuff has me feeling a little French Fried. (Put away your knives, and go easy on this Gen Xer. I like electro/house too, but didn't want to have to start a thread for non electro house.) Thanks all.

i'm not really a fan of mellower house music, but it is practically my duty

as a resident of the same borough to give big ups to the wunderkinds known

as the Martinez Brothers whenever i get the chance.

http://www.myspace.com/themartinezbros