Digital camera recs

soisbelle

Hoping you guys can help me out...

I want to pick up a digital camera that I can do quality movie recordings on too, but one that won't cost the earth (couple hundred bucks). I have a digital SLR but want something small and light for happy snaps and video for my next trip. The key factors I want are quality, sharp images (perhaps one with an image stabiliser), good colour, easy to use. Maybe one with good settings like night mode etc that actually do enhance your shots.

With so many cameras out there and more being released every week it's very overwhelming!

Please, send me your recs, and let me know why it's worth getting.

Also are there any online tech stores that are good value and can be recommended? Thanks so much! :)

Fujifilm FinePix F30

Samsung Digimax L85

Canon PowerShot SD800 IS

Fujifilm takes decent photos in low light. Doesn't have a playback mode that holds you back from taking photos while reviewing those you've already taken.

The Samsung is not the ultimate in compact cameras - but you can get it on Amazon for $230. Decent amount of manual options and has a retro look to it unlike most other digicams.

The Canon has good battery life, good shooting speed, and image stabilization. Produces decent photos.

damn, theyre already on the SD800? but yeah..the SD series in general is great, i was gonna suggest the 600 or 630(?) as you can get them for fairly cheap now, i have a SD400 and it still takes great pictures..

the 600s and up have a neat "widescreen" shooting mode..

low light shots are pretty decent.

damn, theyre already on the SD800? but yeah..the SD series in general is great, i was gonna suggest the 600 or 630(?) as you can get them for fairly cheap now, i have a SD400 and it still takes great pictures..

damn the

Actually the newest SD model is the SD900...if anything, I would go for the SD600. Both the SD630 and the SD600 have been slashed cheap lately...

The only thing I hate about Canon is their shitty customer service and the frail LCD screens.

from your description, get a canon. at the very least the sd650 up to the sd900. alot of people actually prefer the sd800 over the sd900, but you can google that yourself.

check out [steve's digicam, dpreview, dcresource] . com for reviews and recommendations.

i have the panasonic lx2, it's not the most compact of point and shooters, but i love the options and the ability to take 16:9 pictures.

If you are just starting out, I would recommend getting the 6mp SD700IS over the 800 or even the 900. What are you gonna do with 10mp files?

I think image stabilization is a good feature though. This is what separates the current generation from cameras even as recent as 18 months old.

I have the Casio Exilim with the 10 megapixel. It's ok. I had the one with 6 megapixel and should have stuck with that one. It was thinner, but overall the Exilim line is idiot proof and functions fairly well. For the money the vote is for the Canon 630. Homie has it and it has a 3 inch screen and photos came out pretty bright. Got jealous cause its like a bill less then mine. Oh, and get your camera from Costco. That warranty is worth its weight in gold. I never paid full price for a camera excpet for the Minolta Dimage from 2001, since then I just returned it and upgraded with Costco.

Dittos on current canon models with stabilization. I play my videos on High Def big screens straight from the digicam and it's as good as many mid-rage camcorders.

Is macro that important to you? I havent heard of any modern camera over $250 with a bad macro. I have heard of many with bad imaging, weak flash, slow refresh, purple fringing, etc/

Personally I have a Sony DSC-P200 but it is somewhat outdated as it doesnt have IS. Incredible daytime pics though

the big difference between the canon sd800 and sd900 is megapixels and the sd900 has a metal outer, where the sd800 uses a hard plastic

but i would go for any newer canon sd model, 700 and up

they have the best processor out right now (DIGIC II)

play with a canon at best buy, the face finder will freak you out.

the LCD screen is great, but i had problems with mine...didnt affect pics, but i got a dead pixel and had to have it serviced.

my sister has a exslim, and while its a dope sleek design with a big lcd, the image stabilazation sucks, and you dont have that much features.

OK I am really excited about the Canon, and am tossing up between the SD630 and the SD700 - the major difference the latter has IS.

Is IS really a feature worth paying a little bit more for? Have you found your photos have been sharper?

Thanks again.

IS is good because it allows you to take pics without flash in lower light. You probably wont see much of a difference in full daylight, but indoors it can really help your pics look better.

The Ricoh is a nice camera, but it's way too expensive for what it does. It is almost unusable in RAW mode, because it takes forever to write files so you miss shots waiting for the camera to do it's thing.

• 1 month later...
i have an olympus mju 700. it stinks. don't buy this.

actually, i have the mju 600, and it really does suck.

i'm going to upgrade to a better compact (I also have a canon 300D DSLR which I love, but its not very portable).

i'm leaning towards the panasonic Lumix DMC-LX2 (was going to opt for the LEICA D-LUX 3, until i saw the price difference, and lack of improvements made by LEICA).

Comments on this camera please!

i read about some leica digital cameras...m10? or m8? i forgot what it was called but their around like 600-1000. anybody know anything about those? their supposedly excellent cameras

i've read about a little bit about the M8... and i think you may have read incorrectly. M8 reviews are generally bad.

what i've read about the Leica D-Lux 3 / Panasonic lumix dmc-LX2 is pretty good tho... but i want to hear some first hand experiences... sufu-ers holla!