Digital camera recs

soisbelle

i've read about a little bit about the M8... and i think you may have read incorrectly. M8 reviews are generally bad.

what i've read about the Leica D-Lux 3 / Panasonic lumix dmc-LX2 is pretty good tho... but i want to hear some first hand experiences... sufu-ers holla!

I've been playing with a Panasonic DMC-FX07.

Pros: jitter control, excellent ease of use, and simple intuitive design.

Cons: The regular flash mode makes the colors 'pop' a little more than they should. This is the default mode of the camera. It's fun when you're taking pictures of friends at events, but for accurate snapshots of colors: say, garments, it can be slightly deceptive. This is easily resolved by changing the settings.

The jitter control works, it's a wide angle lens, the zoom is effective, and it's a small camera. It is not discrete: focusing can be a little noisy, and like all digital cameras made for the American market, it makes a noise when it captures an image.

Humbly, I submit to you that the Leica lens is excellent, but perhaps wasted on this model. The brand is posted on the front of the camera, so I can only presume it's used for credibility.

i read about some leica digital cameras...m10? or m8? i forgot what it was called but their around like 600-1000. anybody know anything about those? their supposedly excellent cameras

they are the sickest cameras on the market. if you have the means, i highly suggest one.

Pictures taken OF the Leica are MUCH better than Pictures taken WITH the Leica.

You've stated you needed High Quality Movies as well as pix, and that you already have a SLR.

I'd suggest heading over to http://www.dpreview.com and reading up on all the latest offerings and reviews. You'd get more reviews and more options and opinions there. Y'know how this place has tons of reviews and opinions on clothing? Well, they're they same, except with Photography and Equipment.

Pictures taken OF the Leica are MUCH better than Pictures taken WITH the Leica.

You've stated you needed High Quality Movies as well as pix, and that you already have a SLR.

I'd suggest heading over to http://www.dpreview.com and reading up on all the latest offerings and reviews. You'd get more reviews and more options and opinions there. Y'know how this place has tons of reviews and opinions on clothing? Well, they're they same, except with Photography and Equipment.

yep. dpreview is the spot.

• 1 month later...

go with the sd 800. since the last time i posted my camera was stolen and i was mulling over a replacement. the sd 800 has image stabilization and it is quite effective. the sd 1000 looks better, but the price for the item has been slashed considerably. this could be a sign of what consumers are thinking. there are also several deals on the sd 800. you can get one at office depot for under $300, and office depot might also let you use a competitor coupon.

Ricoh GRD

yeah a couple i know have this and rave about it, im just not so hot about 1) the price and 2) the fixed lens, im really looking to spend less thant 300 on it.. the elphs and the lumix fit that nicely..

only p&s i recommend: fujifilm f31 fd.

i quickly read some reviews on it, but whats your take on it/highlights?

i quickly read some reviews on it, but whats your take on it/highlights?

you can search my blog for my opinions on it... but trust me, it is the one to get...

the Sony W200 drops next month. this is a very high resolution 12 point megapixel point an shoot camera. this camera will now rival the expensive SLRs when it comes to resolution.

im probably going to get a digital camera in the summer time when i start working full time. never owned one before but i think it would be good to own one.

i think im set on getting a Canon PowerShoot SD600 after seeing ddml photos in his flickr. the photos look great , really clear especially the shots of his jeans. im also no camera expert but im looking for one thats easty to use and after reading the reviews this canon one seems like it is.

hopefully i can finda good deal on for it, going to shop around a bit.

anyone have any experience with Leica D-LUX 3? Saw it in person and was mildly impressed... was wondering how the images came out tho... ergonomic, impressive lens, and the body is sturdy and gorgeous. the person who had it claimed he got it for 500$ which is decent for pretty decent for a Leica I suppose.

463953602_748411637f.jpg

bought the panasonic dmc-fx 30 yesterday...as far as i can tell it was a good purchase

That's my baby. I was skeptical at first, but it's an easy camera to handle, and the pictures have come out really nice. They're good at taking some quick pictures, but there is a little delay between shots, so sometimes I'll miss the moment. Manual photography survives for me for this reason alone.

• 3 months later...

Bumping this thread as I'm in a similar situation.

Max budget is £150 ... I know nothing about photography and have only ever bought disposables before, so I need something which does everything for me.

These are on my short list:

Canon IXUS 70 (or IXUS 75) Digital Camera - Silver (7.1MP, 3 x Optical Zoom)

and

Nikon Coolpix P4 Digital Compact Camera [8MP 3 X O[ptical Zoom]

The Coolpix sounded good as it has image stablization, but a few of the reviews I read said the Coolpix series had problems with lens fault/failure.

Any comments/advice guys?

cmon seriously if u have the cash... around 500~~ USD buy a Ricoh GRD... i swear you will not regret...

its definitely worth the cash... the digital rendering is mad!!!

i would agree if it only offered any type of optical zooming for those times when you need it.

you can search my blog for my opinions on it... but trust me, it is the one to get...

I wish you wouldn't make it so difficult. I did infact search your blog where you even talk about the f40 which is an improvement over the f31 yet in this thread you recommend the f31. Kind of confusing.

The f40 isn't really an improvment on the f31 in terms of pic quality (8MP vs 6, which won't show much improvement given they use the same sized sensor), but it does take standard SD cards instead of the xD format most Fuji cameras use, which matters to some people. Either one is a great camera, especially in low light. Fuji just released the f50 a week ago, jury is still out on whether it's any better.

The Ricoh would be a good camera if it wasn't so slow, and if the settings above ISO 200 weren't so noisy.