macbook info

rabka

can anyone recommend some free programs for cleaning up HD's? I wanna just clear out some of the clutter to speed up my usage again. Most of the used space is just music, but if I can get rid of some of the stuff that falls between the cracks, that would be great. Thanks, +rep for anyone that can point me in the right direction.

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

significant benefit in waiting 6 odd months for the first update? i'm always weary buying first release products, but my current laptop is almost dead.

fuck, i wish there was a matte screen option.

edit: is everyone who has already committed happy with their purchase? any disappointments?

waiting it out will definitely be the safer bet, but i think there havent been too many issues so far.

from what ive gathered, the most common problems have been slanted keys, loose battery covers, and a not so stellar screen, which i don't think is a big deal.

of course, there may also be some flaws that none of us have discovered yet, like discoloration of some sort or something...who knows

anyway, i was pretty weary myself, but i took the plunge, and i must say i'm pretty pleased. my unit didn't have any of the aforementioned problems.

sometimes though...i wish i had just gotten the air. it looks more timeless without the black bezel, more portable, less common, and oh so sexy..

can anyone recommend some free programs for cleaning up HD's? I wanna just clear out some of the clutter to speed up my usage again. Most of the used space is just music, but if I can get rid of some of the stuff that falls between the cracks, that would be great. Thanks, +rep for anyone that can point me in the right direction.

You can free a couple of gigs using Monolingual. It basically removes unnecessary language resource files.

Onyx

10 char

• 2 weeks later...

i think it happened to me a few times. but the next time i opened itunes it was ok.

so, my macbook's top case is getting very dirty from the plastic discoloration, and i really would like to hide that. I've tried every method to clean it, but it's impossible to clean, since it's the plastic itself that is dirty.

i was thinking of either putting stickers (yeah but which ones...) or doing some sort of paintjob but i know it's going to look like shit.

any idea ?

i think it happened to me a few times. but the next time i opened itunes it was ok.

so, my macbook's top case is getting very dirty from the plastic discoloration, and i really would like to hide that. I've tried every method to clean it, but it's impossible to clean, since it's the plastic itself that is dirty.

i was thinking of either putting stickers (yeah but which ones...) or doing some sort of paintjob but i know it's going to look like shit.

any idea ?

There are translucent plastic cases you can buy for them most of which are a nice colour, which would help hide the dirty plastic. You can also send the laptop off for professional paint jobs (there are companies that do that) just search the internet for stuff. Some of them are a bit strange looking:

http://www.colorwarepc.com/

I now have 2 external harddrives that I can't easily access because Apple decided to put a new firewire port in the MBP.

GENIUS, JUST GENIUS!!!

Have to admit that this is fairly annoying.

Apart from that I'm happy so far...

Just get a firewire 400 to 800 converter cable off ebay. it's about 10 bucks on there i think... I was pretty pissed when i heard that they removed firewire, but at least they kept it on the MBP

also, if you want to save money on price of macbook(s). You can get an entry level macbook pro on ebay for around 1800 dollars and if you use microsoft's live.com cashback program you get an additional 200 dollars off. I just ordered mine using that method. Basically got my macbook pro for 1600. Not bad...

any idea ?

you could also browse ebay for a used macbook casing, and just rehouse it yourself. very easy to do, and your macbook will look brand new.

i think having it painted is just going to hurt your resale, and for the price of having it painted, you could easily rehouse the whole thing.

Just purchased a previous generation macbook pro from my university for $1400.

I'm really, really happy right now.

Running lightroom 2.1, cs3, and everything works like a dream.

1. i'm running multiple language input i.e. US English, Japanese Roma-ji, Japanese hiragana, and japanese katakana.

In windows, I used to press alt+shift to switch bet English and Japanese input.

i.e. EN to JP

Pressing alt + ~ allowed me to switch between Roma-ji and Hiragana within the Japanese input system.

Looking for similar mac shortcuts

2. Is there a shortcut that hides / minimizes all active windows and takes me back to the desktop?

3. What's that steezy dock customization that people are using in the "post desktop" thread? It replaces dock icons with text.

just received mine this morning... 13.3" 2.4 -

macbook_keys.jpg

initial thoughts - i am really impressed with the build quality. it's pretty amazing how they carved the entire bottom half out of a solid block of aluminum and the finish on it is something else. i mentioned earlier that i've been working on a 12" powerbook g4 for the past 3 and a half years so i know that i'll notice the performance bump almost immediately. i'm still transferring files and installing software so i have yet to put it thru its paces but so far, aesthetically i'm very pleased. it's much thinner than i anticipated and it feels very solid in hand.

why doesn't my keyboard light up like this? i have the 2.0ghz version

shit had to happen right before sale season. my macbook HD just failed yesterday. a years worth of rare music and party pics lost. Mac repair guy said it would cost 250 just to recover the data if its possible, and then another 250 to replace the HD. If data recovery is not possible by the easier method, it will cost 100 bucks for the time spent trying then another 500-700 or so to open up the hard disc for recovery. :( fucking macbook, only 3 months after warranty expired. FUUUUUCCCKKKKKKK now i have to use this shittay HP laptop from work.

i ordered my macbook pro online the day before the release of the new macbook (unknowingly)..

but apple automatically swapped my order for a new macbook w/ no extra charge. i love it so far, looks great, simple to use, no problems.. no regrets

why doesn't my F11 work?

On my F11 key, there's a speaker icon. Whenever i press F11, the volume control gets triggered.

I tried pressing ctrl + F11, apple + F11, and other key combos but they still do not seem to work.

Any idea?

theres an option to swap fn and non-fn keys

so now i have to press fn+f3/4/5 to change the volume but its worth having expose on one keypress

i guess i might as well also ask on here

if anyone has a macbook pro with a 8600m gt could you please upload the setup.exe file from your leopard dvd? it contains the boot camp drivers that i need to get my shit working in windows